mtbr member
    Jul 2013

HELP! New Diamondback or Used Giant Trance 4!?

I am having a hard time choosing my first bike, and I need HELP

with a $500 Budget I want the best bike. I need help choosing:

$525 - Diamondback 2013 Recoil 29er

http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Su...3336832&sr=1-1

$500 - Or should I get a used 2005 Giant Trance 4 (Custom build with upgraded parts, real good condition and just tuned up at Lewis & Clark)

http://www.vtt-occasion.fr/vente-vtt...1283837468.jpg (not the real picture, but identical)

mtbr member
    Get the giant.

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    Be sure to check the bearings on the Giant.
    Trance Bearing replacement How To.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    id get something like this. who knows when the Giant will fail. and Trek is tried and true. i wouldnt buy a full suspension under $1,000, esp a 29er. it will be too heavy and not have very good parts on it.

3700 Disc - Trek Bicycle

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    it really all depends. if both bikes were brand new the giant hands down. the giant has a suspension design that lends itself to much less pedal bobbing when cranking and has good big hit compliance. essentially the maestro link is a copy of dw link which is patented through dave weagle.

when you go to look at it you could start by asking what kind of milage is on the bike. is he the only owner?

Now; things to look for on a used full suspension. worn pivot bearings or bolts in the frame. u can usually check by wiggling the back wheel while holding the seat to check for any play. loose rear wheel bearing and sloppy pivots will mimick eachother with play. if theres play you gotta figure which it is or if its both. the upside is that pivot bearing are replaceable with aftermarket companys like eduromax bearings. but you gotta learn how to get them out and have the tools.

next thing to check is the bushings in the fork. grab the cross bar on the lower receiver in the fork with the your other hand on the stem, push back and forth rigoursly checking for play between the stanchion and bushing inside the lowers.
    now check for oil leaks in fork and rear shock leak. ask the owner if the hold air, as these are expensive components to replace not the cheapes to service. im considering your overall budget. I assume your not looking for somthing with hundreds of dollars in repairs. the next thing to check are the brakes. are they hydraulic? are they responsive or mushy? the master cylinder in the lever can go bad and the calipers may be do for pads. they could just need a bleed job. which could be around 50 bucks plus pads. finally check shifting. a high milage bike could mean a new cassette chain and rings. after evaluating all the above you may consider what needs replacing soon or service.

the diamondback on the otherhand will not have any of these issues. but it is a lesser designed bike to start. it is significantly heavier. has a cheapr suntour fork. lower end compentry. cable disc brakes. it is a high pivot, single pivot bike. probably pretty bobby while pedaling hard. but again new so not as many possible issues.

do you have a local bike shop, tell them you would like to have them look it over and that you will probably have your future repairs done there. if theyre willing to look it over ask the seller if you guys could meet there and have it looked at. tell guy if the bike shop says there nothing major then you will pay him at the bike shop. plus you get a real idea of what it may need. if hes not willing to do that hes either lazy or hiding somthing. goodluck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the replies!! Especially you Akiracornell..

I decided to go with the Giant. He has a receipt showing he took it to Lewis and Clark for a full recondition totaling $105. Included pads and shock checks. It also has a new set of tires... I think it's going to be the better deal. Planning to pick it up later today.
    Thanks all.
    After thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wh33ln View Post

I decided to go with the Giant. He has a receipt showing he took it to Lewis and Clark for a full recondition totaling $105. Included pads and shock checks. It also has a new set of tires... I think it's going to be the better deal. Planning to pick it up later today.
    Thanks all.
    After thoughts?
    That sounds good. If it hasn't been abused its a good bike. People love their trances. Its a good foundation to upgrade on.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by wh33ln View Post

Thanks all.
    After thoughts?
    Very good and wise choice.

The giants a ten times better bike, the recoil is a dept store bike, nothing more, nothing less, the trance is a real bike, and a tried and tested one at that, the recoil would have been one problem after another, imo you would have ended up throwing it out.

Congrats on your new trance.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks! I took it to Lewis and Clark, they think it was a great deal and choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sweet. Enjoy as it is good climbing and desceding trail bike.

TXTony
    Good call...enjoy the ride