Thread: Help needed!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Help needed!

I just cracked the head tube of my beloved Homegrown 4Banger, I'm still working through the stages of grief and need some advice. The bike ran like a several thousand dollar enduro bike... until it didn't. Help needed!-img_5200.jpg
    I'm assuming the frame is pretty much scrap metal now... attempting to weld it seems difficult and probably unsafe, especially for the mountain biking I do. If anybody can tell me otherwise I'd be happy to hear it.
    I'm a student and currently don't have a job, so I'm trying to get riding trails again as cheaply as possible. I was considering buying a frame, or a used bike with a decent frame and swapping out everything. The issue I'm thinking I'll run into is compatibility, I don't know what to look for to make sure my components will transfer. A good amount of things on the bike probably were original and are ~20 years old. I've done basic repairs of pretty much everything but I've never had to build a bike from frame up.
    I found another homegrown hardtail frame from the same year that I thought might work, also a cheap
    So the advice I'd like is if anyone
    1) knows if welding is possible
    2) can tell me what sizes I need to pay attention to to make sure I get the right size frame
    3) can recommend a cheap but durable frame that would work with the parts that work on my 4banger

Thanks in advance!
    Also sorry about the sideways photos, I'll edit the post if I find out how to flip them.
    Help needed!-img_5193.jpg

mtbr member
    Welding that area is not possible. Get that frame if it's the same. Otherwise some, if not many, components will not fit. I'd go into what may or may not work, but I really don't want to type that much.

Your frame should have the size listed on it somewhere. Usually on the seat tube.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking re the welding.

mtbr member

Deviant
    You can't weld the head tube itself but you might be able to weld a new head tube to the frame tubes. It was welded on in the first place.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Have u tried contacting the mfg to see if they can help?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think homegrown stopped making bikes in the early 2000's, I don't think there's any support that's still around

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    That's tempting... but its so cheap that its kinda sketchy to buy it w/o being able to look it over