mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Help me pick my A/M rig? [mojo HD or nomad]

Some background, I've been riding a 08' alum santa cruz blur XC with a 120mm fox fit shock for the last season and want to upgrade to something with definitely more AM appeal. I normally ride on the weekends local bay area trails (chinacamp, tamarancho, saratoga gap, etc) and when the season permits some Northstar and Downieville (got about 6-7 days of resort/shuttle riding this year).

I'm by no means an aggressive rider, I don't/can't do any big jump/drop offs higher than 2-3 feet, I just want something that will be super capable/comfortable on the downs and yet still be able to manage a climb (not climbing fast is not a big deal, but having a huge hunk of weight is). I'd like to find a bike that I can grow into and eventually start on smaller hucks and eventually move into larger features. I'd definitely want a 10sp in the back to help with the climbing, 36mm stanchions and either a tapered or 1.5 headtube. Since coming from a pretty decently built XC rig, I want something more plush and stable to help with the downhill confidence.

I've been looking at these bikes,
    • Santa Cruz Nomad (vpp2)
    • Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon (vpp2)
    • Ibis MOJO SL
    • Ibis MOJO HD

and have read all I could on the forums, if looks were the only determining factor I'd definitely go with a MOJO, its the SL or HD which is the question. But in terms of performance it seems most are saying nomad/nomad C will be better downhill then the MOJOs, yet the mojos will be better up?

Any insight here will be greatly appreciated, I've been going back and forth for a while on these bikes. I've signed up for a IBIS mojo HD demo coming up in a few weeks which will also help too. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by darnelli; 11-21-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Pin it
    It sounds like you should be looking at 140mm bikes. That is what I have right now, and it is plenty capable on rock gardens and 4-6' drops. With less travel you will find the bike much more responsive and easier to handle on the downhill. Even without 36mm stanchions or a tapered steerer the front of my bike is plenty stiff (I definitely would go with a through axle).

I'm looking to upgrade to 160mm after riding my 140mm for 5 years. I regularly ride trails with jumps and drops. If you feel like the160mm bikes climb well enough and are still fun of the downhill then I wouldn't rule them out either. I'm not familiar with bay area riding so I can't tell you what would be best for you, but having more bike than you need will make you rely on the bike and develop lazy riding technique IMO.

mtbr member
    I ride an HD and after coming off a 140mm VPP bike (Tracer) I can't imagine going back to 140. I test rode the Mojo SL, but do not think it pedaled as well as the HD which is a fairly common consensus. Between the HD and the Nomad, the HD is more of an all around bike. After riding both, I think the HD climbs a little better while the Nomad probably descends a little better. You cannot go wrong with either bike.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post

I've been looking at these bikes,
    • Santa Cruz Nomad (vpp2)
    • Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon (vpp2)
    • Ibis MOJO SL
    • Ibis MOJO HD...
    All great bikes. If you are not in a hurry, I think the SL-R should replace the SL on your list. It can go slacker than SL, has 142x12 rear, and has tapered headtube. It may be lighter and stiffer too.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

flow where ever you go

don't click on "top!!" links

Join me in reporting these non contributing nuisance postings from zhf89619421

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    zhf89619421 is a spammer...

If you are planning to take this bike to parks then go with a Nomad. As far as Ibis is concerned, the HD @ 160mm is your only real option. Unless you only plan on doing smooth jump lines then 140mm will not cut it in the gnar.
    The bigger and more plush the bike is, the more comfortable you will be as you progress. Unless you are planning on going on many epics or climbing 1000s of vertical each ride then dont worry about the relatively small difference on the ups.

That said, if you think the HD is sexier then go with it because that is all that really matters
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I own a BLUR LTc and Ibis HD 160 , I think HD is far better climber tha Blur LTc but Blur rear end is more rigidity, the geometry is pretty similar Iīm using CC angleset minus 1 degree in both frames.If you are looking for better downhill go to Nomad otherwise you can go after HD to better climber.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the feedback guys, been very helpful.

I have a few questions, as far as the difference in climbing and descending,

How big of a difference does the nomad C have on the HD on the down? Is it a that noticeable that one will feel alot more plush/comfortable than the other or is it only noticeable when landing huge hits? or having pro like skill levels?

The same goes for the uphill, how different is the HD vs the nomad C in climbing (i'm just an average climber, and not super strong by any means), will I really notice the difference between the 2 on a two hour or so climb?

And the last question, how about the nomad alum? As far as cost and finding one of these guys on the used market in my size seems more likely, but what are the benefits of the alum vs the two carbon frames aside from the obvious weight?

Ultimately, whichever inspires the most confidence on the down and will get me to the top is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by darnelli; 11-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    Ultimately, whichever inspires the most confidence on the down and will get me to the top is what I'm looking for.
    Believe it or not most bikes will get you to the top...
    If you want the bike that is better on the DH then Nomad.

A lot of people compare and review these 2 bikes on this forum and else where, I would spend more time looking around. Your questions would be easily answered with some research.

What will help your decision most is demoing both bikes.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    For me the pick between these two are all base upon looks......they literally are both going to perform the job just as well as the other. I get to see both these bikes every weekend and they both get up to the top just as quickly as the other and get to the bottom just as quickly as the other.

This is a good time to be superficial..just pick the one that makes you hard! (OP if you aren't a guy..that probably didn't make much sense and possibly even came off as offensive. Feel free to bash me if it does...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jtnord View Post
    Believe it or not most bikes will get you to the top...
    If you want the bike that is better on the DH then Nomad.

A lot of people compare and review these 2 bikes on this forum and else where, I would spend more time looking around. Your questions would be easily answered with some research.

What will help your decision most is demoing both bikes.
    Thanks for the positive feedback, I've read nearly everything I possibly could read on the two and just wanted to see if I could get a more personal feel/response.

Thanks again, the information has been useful.

Pin it
    As far as weight goes the mojo's weight is between the alu and carbon nomads. I'm planning on getting an alu nomad because there is a huge price difference and quite frankly I can't afford the carbon.

banned
    Nov 2011
    The Nomad is definitely an iconic bike. You can't go wrong with one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi Trail Addict. Noticed you were in Ca. If you would like to test ride any of the new IBIS bikes, laguna Beach Cyclery will be have a Demo day this sat in Laguna Canyon (133) 8am-4pm (20432 Laguna Canyon Rd. LB, CA 92651) We will have all the new IBIS bikes, minus the Ripley 29'r of course. The trannie, SLR, SL, and HD will be available to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nomad is a safe bet for the kind of riding you want to "grow into". Among the two the Nomad is definately the bike I would bring to a bike park.

I don't agree regarding the 140mm approach because one "get lazy" using 160mm bikes. I think it's rather the other way around; get a 160mm bike to safely push the limits. If you miss a landing you won't kill the bike. For general techincal trail riding I think 140mm is the sweetspot, but it require some finesse. Around my parts a lot of the more skilled riders have moved from ~160mm back into the ~140mm category. The slack-and-low 140mm category is where it's at.

mtbr member
    There is a noticeable difference in the stiffness between carbon and aluminum with the carbon being much stiffer. If you are not a big gravity guy go with the HD. It is the better all around bike for most riders. The difference in DH between the two is just the last 5% meaning if you are doing big drops etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Both are sweet rides but i would go with the mojo hd. Awesome reviews.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    There is a noticeable difference in the stiffness between carbon and aluminum with the carbon being much stiffer. If you are not a big gravity guy go with the HD. It is the better all around bike for most riders. The difference in DH between the two is just the last 5% meaning if you are doing big drops etc.
    yea, that's good information, i don't plan on doing big drops for a long while, and the little extra benefit of that the HD has on climbing will be more beneficial

thanks everyone for the help, it has definitely been very informative

mtbr member
    I was faced with the same choice and was able to ride both the Nomad C and the HD back to back. First you can't go wrong with either one, for me the HD climbed a bit better and took square edge hits while climbing better. I also liked having the rear through axle on the HD.

One other thing I also like about the HD is it's rare to see on the trails and it always becomes the topic at the trail heads with people. It's like riding the most functional piece of art I have ever owned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    I also liked having the rear through axle on the HD.

One other thing I also like about the HD is it's rare to see on the trails and it always becomes the topic at the trail heads with people. It's like riding the most functional piece of art I have ever owned.
    OP, time to apply some critical thinking, yeah?

This isn't a bash on Murchman, but what he said may need to be dissected a bit.

For the first quoted sentence, you may want to think about it in such as way as a bike needing a TA to achieve a stiff rear end vs a frame designed sufficiently stiff to not need a TA.

The 2nd part is on the same page as "get whatever gets you hard" comment, yeah?

Finally, don't sell yourself short on taking large hits. The class and type of riding these two bikes fit the pedal-able mini-DH descript. Obviously, by your own declaration you're not at the point to take 5+ ft drops to trannies. But, does that mean you're not planning to "get there"? Take your new scoot to a bike park a few times and you may realized how ready you truly are.

All I'm saying is considering the class of bikes you're looking at, buy more bike than you think you need, because you may get "there" quicker than you think. But, that's just my thinking.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( š.š )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    LOL didn't think I would be dissected otherwise I would have been more clear about why I, with all things be equal would choose the TA. For one I am a larger rider at 6'2 230lbs so rear end flex is pretty easy for me to cause and two if everything is equal why would you not want a TA?

Again my comment about art applies the same as it did for the TA if everything else is equal why would I not want the rarer of the two and the one people seem to love to look at and talk about?

Both bikes where so good that to me it came down to those little things as the only real diferentiating factors for me to make my choice.