mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here. Help me identify the year of a Giant XTC 2

Hello everybody!

I need a bit of help -- I haven't been in the biking world for about 10 years and now I'm trying to get back. However, it seems that there are a lot more bikes than there were back then, so it's very hard for me to actually decide on a bike.
    I've been watching second hand announcements since a few weeks now and I think I found the right one for my budget.
    Anyway, here is the problem, I cannot identitfy the year of the bike. The owner says it's 2011, but I wanted to check this and I just couldn't find it. I've searched yesterday in the archives of the Giant bikes and in google images for hours after hours after hours and didn't find anything. I'm just exhausted, I need help on this one...
    I've uploaded a picture of the bike, maybe some of you with more experience might be able to help me.
    Help me identify the year of a Giant XTC 2-untitled.jpgName:  untitled2.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  25.1 KB
    Thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Based on the 2008 Norwegian blog post below, I'm guessing this is a 2008 (or 2007) model available in their market. It has the same fork and cranks you list from the ad.
    Giant XTC 2 | Yallaveven - Hans Magne Helland

EDITED: This bike appears on Giant's German archive site. It's a 2008 model:
    XtC 2 (2008) - Fahrräder | Giant Fahrräder | Deutschland

I wouldn't let the age deter you if the bike is in good condition, and it fits you. Use the age as a bargaining chip. But, I would only consider this purchase in person given the country of different origin.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You are perfectly right, that is clearly a 2008, most lately. Although it is in good condition and it has a nice configuration, I think it's a bit too old.
    I believe I would rather go for a newer bike although it will not have the same configuration...
    But thank you very much for your help!