Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Help me find a new substitute for my Spitfire

As the title says, I'm in the market for a new All Mountain bike/frame. I've been riding my Banshee Spitifire for the last year and a half and I absolutely love it, the thing is, it's just not enough for the trails I'm riding right know.

So, here's the challenge: I want something used but recent and unexpensive (Nomad, Chilcotin, SB66, Tracer 2, etc. are just way out of the budget). Something that pedals well and accelerates decently, that's agile but can still take a beating down hill. Between 150 and 160 mm of rear travel.

What I have considered so far:
    -Lapierre Spicy (the new one)
    -Rocky Mountain Slayer (the most recent one)
    -Intense Tracer VP
    -Trek Remedy
    -Banshee Rune V1
    -Mondraker Dune

I also really like the G-spot but the frame weights more than my Voltage FR...

mtbr member
    Why not just stick the Voltage in it's 160mm setting and buy some lighter tyres for it?

Or some beefier tyres for the Banshee? Shock revalve?

Or sell both an get a new model Rune?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I actually thought about all those options. And to answer them in order:

The Voltage is a Small and I am 5'10. It's great as a playbike but I just don't see it working as an all day ride.

Shock revalve or upgrading a low volume Monarch Plus were also options that crossed my mind. The problem is that they won't solve the problem because I really need the extra travel.

Selling both could be the best option but I got my Voltage like 4 months ago. :P

usually cranky
    do you really need that much travel or do you think that is what you need? with a really good shock tune tune could probably make your frame feel more like a 6'' bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really need a bigger bike. I have been taking this bike to enduro races and it just isn't the same thing. I finish the races completely exhausted even though I have better preparation than my mates with 160 mm bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Giant Reign X

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Isn't that a bit overkill since I own a Voltage FR? Perhaps de normal Reign would me more appropriate. How well does the Reign X pedal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Giant Reign X
    +1 for the ReignX.
    Personally I thought the Trek slash was a lot better than the remedy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Slash seems to be a great machine. Still it is hard to find one for a good price atm. Maybe in a year or two...

Can the Reign X cope with those 50-60 km epic rides?

I'm adding another one to the list: Nukeproof mega (the old one).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    specialized enduro, titus el guapo, transition covert, banshee rune, giant reign.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
    Isn't that a bit overkill since I own a Voltage FR? Perhaps de normal Reign would me more appropriate. How well does the Reign X pedal?
    They pedal comparably. The main differece is how theyre specd and frame weight. Therefore, go X. The Reign is more of a trail bike unless you spec a different build. If you're gonna ride it hard on the downhill, might as well get a descender. You'll appreciate the slacker geo, extra sus and the 160mm 36 thru fork over a 150mm 32 qr that comes on the regular Reign. The old Reign Xs are super heavy though - avoid those (pre-2011?).

I personally got a 2006 Nomad for 1200 on craigslist, so definitely don't rule that out. Been riding it hard for the last 3 years and love it - bike parks, lunch loops, whole enchilada, monarch crest, 5' drops, plowing through rock gardens, etc. It has a Revelation QR fork though, and want to trade out for a burlier fork and thru front wheel, as the front end definitely flexes more than I like when really pinning it, ESPECIALLY on bigger drops. 30-40mi rides haven't been a problem on that bike. Never bothered using lockouts.

On the longer rides, I actually really like having a descending bike. I appreciate the larger margin of error when I'm tired. Let's face it, after 15-20mi of pedaling, you're gonna be tired on any bike, but still want to ride that downhill as aggressive as you can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    On the longer rides, I actually really like having a descending bike. I appreciate the larger margin of error when I'm tired. Let's face it, after 15-20mi of pedaling, you're gonna be tired on any bike, but still want to ride that downhill as aggressive as you can.
    That's what gets me on the Spitfire... My last enduro Race the 5th special just killed me. I crashed a couple of times because I just couldn't hold the bike anymore.

I was leaning a bit more towards the Reign with a 160 mm fork and maybe a DHX air or a Monarch Plus, but if they pedal comparably the Reign X seems to be a viable option. I'll try to test ride one as lots of my friend own them.

mtbr member
    I have a Spitty (V1) and can tell you that I don't give up much on downhills to the longer travel bikes but I do have a PUSH'd Monarch and Pike on it which does make a world of difference. I won't race it for Enduro because of the uphills tho and I'm fairly certain that's why you're so tired. I just got done tuning my buddy's Mach 5.7 and that DW link bike climbs so much better it shouldn't be legal! Has similar angles to the Spitty too so it descends well. Very impressed with Pivot but they're pricey and would def. mean selling both your bikes.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Those Pivot also got my attention, but as you said they are really pricey. Still, I think the spitty pedals really well compared to most All Mountain bikes.

I don't lose much on the downhills either (if they're flowy) but the problem is when I get to the bigger stuff like 5-6' drops, the bike really starts to get out of it's confort zone and gets really harsh. Also it leaves me absolutely no margin for mistakes on bigger jumps.

Right now I am leaning towards the Lapierre Spicy or a Nukeproof Mega. I think those are some really nice frames.

mtbr member
    Fair enough about the Voltage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
    Can the Reign X cope with those 50-60 km epic rides?
    Easily. The Mk1 Reign X with the shock through the down tube is a tank, pure freeride bike and a weight to match.

Later models with the bent down tube are much lighter (2010 model year, so 09-present), plus the reach on them is longer to help pedaling. Dead nice bikes.

One of those, an Enduro or Mega are probably your best bets for a good six inch bike that doesn't cost a bomb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'll look around for a Reign X. I recently spotted some pretty good deals on those bad boys.

About the Enduro... I just don't like the way it pedals. It rides nice, no doubt, but really not that much going on to impress me.

mtbr member
    Test ride a Reign X; I did and was thoroughly unimpressed. It just felt all wrong, very unbalanced. The standard Reign is actually a better bike IMHO. It seems to me that Giant spent all their time getting the standard version dialed and then just threw on a longer fork and shock, beefed it up and called it good without any other engineering/testing for the X version. That was my take anyway. I'm a big fan of the Faith (before they 86'd it) and the standard Reign so this isn't me Giant bashing in any way, just an honest observation.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how much were you trying to spend? frame or bike?

what about a single pivot? there are some sweet morewood frames like the shova and zuza, orange alpine or a newer SC bullit. granted the bullit is not exactly an XC race bike but people do long rides on them. most all those newer SP frames have big headtubes so you could slack em out more. single pivots shred and are easy to work on.
    here's a zuza on pinkbike: 2010 Morewood Zuza price drop! - Pinkbike

or you could get rid of your voltage fr too and get something like a canfield one. or at least have more budget to spend on whatever bike you want. it seems like the type bike you are looking for could have way too much overlap with the voltage so you might want to get rid of it anyway and have one rig that will do more.

as far as value a 2010 + reign x is a super solid choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Gman - sounds like a suspension setup issue. The Reign X and Reign are VERY similar riding bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'll try to test ride one. Lots of my mates own Reign X and also recommend it.

Still there's one thing no one mentioned... Buying a second handed Reign means no warranty for me, so no free links. Right? Also, I don't want to be carrying extra links on my backpack! I know my mates do... lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well it depends... but max I would say 750 a frame or 1500 a bike.

Remember that I am from Europe therefore it's better to buy something from this side of the pond.

My opinion on single pivots is that they rock if you only have one bike and ride it just for fun. Not the best bikes if you really like to punish your pedals like I do on my Spitty.

You are right about the bike overlap, but I use my Voltage for bikeparks and all day downhill. I don't actually do any serious pedalling on it. Before these two bikes I owned an Intense 6.6 as a do it all bike but I grew tired of changing tyres, wheels, rotors, stems, shocks, etc... In the long run I think it's better to simply own 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the input so far guys. That's the kind of answers I was looking for.

It's rude of me talking so much about my ladies and not letting you know them. Here they are:
    http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9730069/p4pb9730069.jpg
    http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9272721/p4pb9272721.jpg

What do you guys say about the Tracer VP? Is it worth going for the Tracer 2 instead if I have the chance?

mtbr member
    What about a stumpjumper far Evo? There's a lot of them in the states, not sure what their availability is like in your parts.

If you're the original owner of the spitfire, you may want to contact Banshee about their trade in program. Based on the characteristics of my v2 rune, I would expect the v2 Spitty to be a great enduro bike with a 160 fork up front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Initially I was going to swap my Spitty for a V2 as the Banshee dealer in my country is a friend of mine. I even had a topic at the Banshee forum asking for opinions about this change. But know I've decided that I actually want a bit more travel. I could go for a Rune V2 but that would mean spending money. I am trying not to spend money at all in this exchange.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast