Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Help me decide... low component Pivot Mach 5.7 or Stumpjumper FSR Elite

I am not looking for the philosophical discussion what's better, more of what would you in my spot? I am finally making the switch to FS after riding HT for entire life. I currently own a 29 HT (100mm fork) but I started riding more technical trails for longer hours and I rather have a little more comfort. I dont do shuttle downhill rides or don't plan to do any serious DH. I ride mostly in AZ, where most trails are rocky and full of gravel (no mud). I am looking for a 26 inch since I will most likely end up keeping my 29HT.

I read tons of these stump vs pivot threads, and it sounds like people generally lean toward pivot. I actually had a chance to ride both and since I didn't never really rode FS bikes before, it was hard for me tell a real difference between the two. I was just happy to be able to finally ride over some rocks without taking the punishment.

So here are two of my final choices, both for around 3K:

2012 stumpjumper FSR ELITE

FRAMEM5 hydroformed tubing, tapered HT, PF30 BB, ISCG 05, Command Post routing, 142mm dropouts, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 140mm travel
    REAR SHOCKFox/Specialized remote Brain with AUTOSAG, inertia valve w/Trail Tune, BrainFade adjust, 197x51mm
    FORKFox Evolution 140 TALAS RL, air spring, tapered alloy steerer, LO and reb adj., standard drop-outs, 140/120mm travel
    HEADSET1-1/8 and 1-1/2" Threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2" lower, cartridge bearings
    STEMSpecialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp, adjustable rise, S: 60mm, M: 75, L:90, XL:105mm
    HANDLEBARSSpecialized All-Mountain low-rise bar, 7050 alloy, 720mm wide, 8 backsweep, 6 upsweep, 31.8mm
    GRIPSSpecialized lock-on, S/M: Grappler, Others: Grappler XL
    FRONT BRAKECustom Avid Elixir 7 SL, hydraulic disc, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, HS-1 rotor S/M:180mm, Others: 200mm
    REAR BRAKECustom Avid Elixir 7 SL, hydraulic disc, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, HS-1 rotor S/M:160mm, Others: 180mm
    BRAKE LEVERSCustom Avid Elixir 7 SL hydraulic, tool-less reach adj.
    FRONT DERAILLEURSRAM X7, 10-speed, S3 direct mount for DMD, bottom-pull
    REAR DERAILLEURShimano XTR Shadow Plus M985, 10-speed, GS medium cage
    SHIFT LEVERSShimano SLX M660, 10-speed, trigger
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-1050, 10-speed, 11-36t
    CHAINKMC X-10, 10-speed, w/ reusable Missing Link, nickel plates
    CRANKSETCustom SRAM carbon S-2200, 10-speed XC Trail double, PF30 spindle, removable spider, S: 170mm, Others: 175mm
    CHAINRINGS38/24, w/ carbon guard
    BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM PF30, OS press-in bearing, sealed cartridge
    PEDALSResin Test Ride Pedals with toe clips, CEN std.
    RIMSRoval 26, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h
    FRONT HUBSpecialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 24 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, RWS, 32h
    REAR HUBSpecialized Hi Lo 142+ disc, laser-etched logo, double-sealed cartridge bearing, 12mm thru-axle, 32h
    SPOKES
    FRONT TIRESpecialized Purgatory Control, 60 TPI, 2Bliss ready, aramid bead, dual-compound, 26x2.2"
    REAR TIRESpecialized Ground Control, 60 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, 26x2.1"
    INNER TUBES
    SADDLEBody Geometry Henge Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm width
    SEATPOSTSpecialized Command Post BlackLite, 3 position, adjustable height w/air spring, remote operated, single bolt head 30.9mm, S:100mm travel, Others: 125mm
    SEAT BINDER34.9mm clamp ID, 7050 hard anodized alloy collar, single bolt
    NOTESProtective clear coat, Specialized Dangler chain management radness, derailleur hanger, owners manual

2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 XT/SLX

Front Suspension ForkFOX F150 RL 15QR Fork
    BrakesMagura MT2/4 160/160 Brakeset
    CassettesShimano HG62-10 11/36 Cassette
    ChainsShimano XT HG94 Chain
    Bottom Bracket
    CranksShimano SLX 24/32/42 Crankset
    Front DerailleursShimano SLX E-Type Front Derailleur
    GripsPhoenix Lock On Grips
    HandlebarsFSA Comet Alloy Riser Bar
    HeadsetPivot Semi-Sealed Cartridge Headset
    Pedals
    Rear DerailleursShimano XT M780 Rear Derailleur
    SaddlesWTB Volt Sport Saddle
    SeatpostFSA XC255 Alloy Seatpost
    ShiftersShimano SLX M660-10 Rapidfire Shifters
    StemsFSA OS-150 Stem
    TiresKenda Nevegal 2.35 Tire
    TubesButyl Rubber Presta Tubes
    WheelsSun Rims Ringle Charger Comp Wheelset
    Water Bottle Cages
    Computers

There is another possibility: Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend Build Bike for $2750 but I never had a chance to ride one.

5.2 - 5.3 pound (2400g) frame/swingarm/rear shock (medium size, matte clear. Paint adds ~70g, .15 lb)
    Carbon fiber construction
    Lopes link for enhanced stiffness
    DW-Link suspension
    Titanium fasteners and shock pin
    Carbon monocoque frame and swing arm
    5.5" rear wheel travel w/ a X-Fusion O2 RCX shock
    X-Fusion Velvet RL fork, 15mm thru axle
    Components
    Crankset: Shimano SLX Triple
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano SM-BB70, 68/73mm
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX 10spd
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX 10spd
    Shifters: Shimano Deore trigger shifters 10spd
    Wheelset: Mavic Crossride 26 disc
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 26x2.1
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Disc Brakes (rotors included)
    Brake Levers: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Handlebar: Ibis
    Stem: Ibis
    Saddle: WTB
    Seat Post: Ibis

Thanks for your input.

b a n n e d
    Personally, I'd go for the Mojo . . . amazing frame at a great price. The Pivot is also an excellent bike though and uses the same DW-Link design.

I'm of the opinion to get the best frame you can afford . . . . parts are way easier on the pocketbook to upgrade than a frame.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Radical Rookie
    Ibis Mojo!

A very platform for upgrades. And looks good and timeless.

mtbr member
    Dang thats a tough choice. I've been on the carbon pivot 5.7 great geometry, light, and great all around bike. But if you close my eyes and made me ride each of these bikes I'm sure the Stumpy would come out on top.

Its hard to beat the price with the components that you get, command post, carbon crank etc... plus the frame is proven to be a machine pointed down. Plus you can always get the evo link if you want to go crazy off a cliff. haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    Dang thats a tough choice. I've been on the carbon pivot 5.7 great geometry, light, and great all around bike. But if you close my eyes and made me ride each of these bikes I'm sure the Stumpy would come out on top.

Its hard to beat the price with the components that you get, command post, carbon crank etc... plus the frame is proven to be a machine pointed down. Plus you can always get the evo link if you want to go crazy off a cliff. haha
    That's what I am thinking... except going off cliffs...

I understand what people are saying about the good platform though.... ibis mojo is really an intriguing bike - expensive though with a proper build, the components are usually cheaper when bought with the bike. So I would be riding with inferior stuff for long time.....

mtbr member
    The Mojo SL / SRAM X.9

That build is about $ 4,000 - definitely more than I was willing to spend, but this one has components that I can live with for a long time....
    I think I will definitely need to take this one for a ride before I settle on anything...

Mojo SL uses carbon, carbon, carbon everywhere, including frame, swingarm, head cups, seattube insert, and dropouts, and can yield an amazingly light complete bike with a careful selection of parts, Or go the other direction and build a bullletproof do-it-all machine.
    5.2-5.3 pound (2400g) frame/swingarm/rear shock (measured on a medium size, matte clear finish. Paint adds ~70g, .15 lb)
    Pre-installed newest revision of Lopes Link for enhanced stiffness
    6-4 titanium fasteners and shock pin shave grams
    5.5" (140mm) of rear wheel travel using a Fox RP23 Kashima coat rear shock
    The Mojo SL / SRAM X.9 complete bike is built with:
    Rockshox Revelation fork
    SRAM X.9 2x10 drivetrain including trigger shifters, front and rear derailleur, chain, cassette
    Formula RXO hydraulic disc brakes
    Ibis 3D forged stem
    Ibis 3D forged seatpost
    Ibis 660 Alloy handlebar
    Ibis factory wheelset with Joytech disc brake hubs, Stan's ZTR Flow rims
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Specialized Ground Control and Fasttrak tires

Team Livemedium
    Get some chalk, and draw a circle into thirds on your driveway. Label one part stump, one mojo, and one pivot. Then spin a bottle of mountain dew. Of course.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    That's what I am thinking... except going off cliffs...

I understand what people are saying about the good platform though.... ibis mojo is really an intriguing bike - expensive though with a proper build, the components are usually cheaper when bought with the bike. So I would be riding with inferior stuff for long time.....
    Aside from the Avid brakes, there is not one component on that bike I'd consider "inferior."

That SLX drivetrain will be bombproof. The biggest issue with that build is its heavy, but inferior, it is definitely not.

b a n n e d
    If you REALLY want to go custom, here's your new frame (you won't beat this price anywhere . . . but act FAST): Santa Cruz Bicycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I ride mostly in AZ, where most trails are rocky and full of gravel (no mud). I am looking for a 26 inch since I will most likely end up keeping my 29HT.
    Same here! I am worlds behind where you are right now, but I imagine I will be having the same questions in the future...everything is loose, gravely, rocky, sharp, sandy, and dusty here. It's nice to have a bike that makes you feel confident. I've ridden my Gary Fisher (not sure what model or year or anything like that) and had some trouble feeling confident on it. On an Enduro I've hopped on, it felt great, though...there was a Pivot demo day not too long ago that my boyfriend went to, and he said he preferred the Specialized (although he's very biased). From everything I've heard, I'm leaning more toward the Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Stumpjumper allday long.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    couldnt find the right thread so i thought i should try this one ....

Hi i have been riding my bike since i was 4.
    When i was 11 i managed to convince my dad to get me a full suspension disc brake mountain bike which was 6.3 Decathlon Rockrider .
    To this day i still own it. Now im 16 i think its time to switch bikes. With the front fork broken both disc are slightly buckled and my wheel misaligned. The frame is to small for me and i have broken 2 seats from dirt jumping.

The problem is which one ?
    I like going on long bike rides as there are many cycle tracks, I also LOVE gettign stuck in the mud and get huge speeds
    on downhill trails. But i would love to get good at DJ jumping.
    So heres my question should i get
    A btwin FR6 EVO 2012
    or
    Specialized P.Street 2 2013
    As you can see i am on a tight budget so which one?
    cheers

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyrocks View Post
    couldnt find the right thread so i thought i should try this one ....

Hi i have been riding my bike since i was 4.
    When i was 11 i managed to convince my dad to get me a full suspension disc brake mountain bike which was 6.3 Decathlon Rockrider .
    To this day i still own it. Now im 16 i think its time to switch bikes. With the front fork broken both disc are slightly buckled and my wheel misaligned. The frame is to small for me and i have broken 2 seats from dirt jumping.

The problem is which one ?
    I like going on long bike rides as there are many cycle tracks, I also LOVE gettign stuck in the mud and get huge speeds
    on downhill trails. But i would love to get good at DJ jumping.
    So heres my question should i get
    A btwin FR6 EVO 2012
    or
    Specialized P.Street 2 2013
    As you can see i am on a tight budget so which one?
    cheers
    I don't know if you are going to find one bike that will do either of those things simultaneously well.

mtbr member
    They're both good bikes. The SLX components imo are equal to the XT and XTR stuff, they just weigh a couple grams more. The avid brakes on the stumpy are nothing special, they'll stop just like the magura ones and that's a cheap replacement if need be. The autosag feature on spez bikes is an absolute joke. Whats next, bikes tuned by apple so you only push 1 button and your whole bike is tuned and you cant make it how you want it? Setting your sag isn't hard and I doubt spez knows how you want your bike setup anyway. I'm personally not a fan of the command post, I prefer a post that lets me adjust the travel in any position, not limited to 2. The Giant contact switch post is cheap, works great and has infinite travel adjustment.

To make this an unbiased opinion, I ride a specialized enduro and I love it. However, I have also owned nearly every top AM bike out before I LOVE LOVE my enduro. It's not because specialized is trendy hipster c00L or because I got a good deal on it. It's the bike for ME. Ride all 3 if you can and pick your favorite. Just because someone raves about one bike on here doesn't mean squat to the next guy.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've seen you post in the AZ forum.

I'm not sure what trails you're looking to move up to, so bear that in mind.

Rage in Scottsdale has a Mojo Special Blend on the floor. I test rode it and did not like it at all.

I owned an '11 Pivot Mach 5.7. Nice pedaling bike on smoother stuff, good looking, nice geo. I absolutely hated it, though. Weird handling on square hits and totally outgunned by anything high-speed and chunky (National, tech stuff at PMP, etc.).

Very, very hard to go wrong with the Specialized FSR/Horst suspension. Every one I've had has been outstanding. Not knowing what you want to ride, I'd push more toward the Enduro than the Stumpy in 26-inch wheels. I've got a large '11 Enduro frame for sale in Scottsdale if you're interested.

mtbr member
    LOL now that Enduro you can huck cliffs with....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I don't know if you are going to find one bike that will do either of those things simultaneously well.
    hahaha i was asking should i go for DJ or Downhill mountain bike

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    T . . . Whats next, bikes tuned by apple so you only push 1 button and your whole bike is tuned and you cant make it how you want it? . . .
    Ask and ye shall receive!

FOX Racing Shox Announces iCD – Electronically Activated Suspension Settings - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

Let's Ride!
    I can't help you with the Pivot as I've never ridden one, but I can say that I was happy with my Stumpy Elite, but it never felt like anything special. I'm not sure on the 12's but the Rear Shock is proprietary so you're stuck with it, the wheels suck, unless you're going XC otherwise they aren't tough. And to me, the bike feels just solid..........not flowing, not like an extension of the rider, but just solid..........Like buying a good solid truck.........it gets the job done, but without flash or fun. Now.....keep in mind I'm a very big guy and haven't been on many bikes to compare, just telling you how I felt about my Stumpy Elite .........
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    I decided to wait. I am intrigued by 650b FS and they are still shaping out in the years ahead.
    For now, I changed my stem from 11cm to 7cm, switched to flat pedals, got a koobi prs saddle (blem half off !) and really working on my riding technique. The difference is night and day. I became one of those riders that blame the bike. I realized that I still haven't tapped in to its full potential. The stem change was huge. The flats gave me confidence to push myself and use the proper mtn trechniques. Koobi PRS makes riding a HT more comfortable.

Thanks for all the input, mtb brethren.

mtbr member
    Hey - the Pivot is the best choice, I bought mine in August and its the best machine I have ridden after 20 years of riding. Your decision to wait for 650B trend to develop is wise. I am awaiting Pviot's decision on this trend and its first 650B carbon frame (assuming they proceed with one).

Pivot reminds me of Klein (bought by Trek), great bike company with pioneering technology that everyone copies sooner than later.

We can wait in line together for the new Pivot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cellen View Post
    Hey - the Pivot is the best choice, I bought mine in August and its the best machine I have ridden after 20 years of riding. Your decision to wait for 650B trend to develop is wise. I am awaiting Pviot's decision on this trend and its first 650B carbon frame (assuming they proceed with one).

Pivot reminds me of Klein (bought by Trek), great bike company with pioneering technology that everyone copies sooner than later.

We can wait in line together for the new Pivot!
    I liked the Pivot a lot during the test ride. It felt like a HT for most part until came the bumps. It'd be awesome if they created a nice 650 line. I am OK with waiting and start saving my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh? I'm 160 and I found the DW Link on the Pivot to be a little on the stiff side. It climbs incredible, but wasnt as plush as I had hoped on the way down. The SJ with the Brain climbs nearly as well, but the ability turn down that platform for the downhill parts made the bike much more plush and supple feeling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    How much do you weigh? I'm 160 and I found the DW Link on the Pivot to be a little on the stiff side. It climbs incredible, but wasnt as plush as I had hoped on the way down. The SJ with the Brain climbs nearly as well, but the ability turn down that platform for the downhill parts made the bike much more plush and supple feeling.
    I rode HT's all my life, I don't know what PLUSH is

mtbr member
    I am 205 lbs, I keep the reaer shock at 210 lbs. I took 2-3 rides to find the right psi for the rear shock. I tested the FSR Elite but found the Brain arrangement to be touchy meaning I like to set it and forget it. Once the dwlink is set with the right psi in the shock for your weight and riding preference it is so easy to maintain the same feel. Uphill climbs are not issue with bob.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast