Results 1 to 75 of 75
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117

    Help me choose a new bike!

    Hi All,

    Am hoping for some guidance on a new-to-me (used) bike.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2333031/

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2327173/

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2249855/

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2157116/

    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...509784224.html

    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...517710821.html

    **I am ~ 5'9 and can sometimes fit in multiple categories and am unsure on sizing for each of these bikes**

    Obviously these bikes are quite different. I am not sold on any wheel size. I test rode a 27.5 and enjoyed it but what is not to enjoy about a brand new $5k bike?

    I primarily ride around Bend (Phils trails, mackenzie river, deschutes river, mt bachelor, etc) and Portland (primarily Sandy Ridge). I do not see any need for more than 140-150mm of travel (the only reason it would be nice is for the occasional rougher ride). Even that is pretty generous but I am not terribly worried about the efficiency loss.

    I am looking for bang for buck and something that is going to last me some time. I previously had a 08 (M) Giant Reign with a Fox DHX 5.0 Air and was not terribly satisfied with the pedaling performance. I am ~5'9 and ~200lbs. While setup may have contributed, I tried about everything I could to get it pedaling reasonably well and could not - this is ultimately the reason I sold the bike. I am unsure if switching to something like a Santa Cruz or Yeti (with horizontal rear suspension) will function better for my relatively higher weight?

    As usual less money is better but if it means a better bike (always does) and a happier ride I give that preference. I certainly do not want to spend over $1500 and would prefer to stay aroud the $1k mark.

    I am tempted by the Giant Trance 2014 & 2015 for the $$. The 2015 I think is a better deal (and the 27.5 wheel) but am unsure how the large will fit versus the medium. The 2014 just looks like a nice build and is cheap but I am concerned if the shock will have the same pedaling problem! Most other Trance 1 are running $1500+ in medium.

    Any input is appreciated!

    Alternatively, I could wait another season and shoot for a YT Jeffsy or something along those lines..

    https://us.yt-industries.com/product...-one-27?c=9928
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 03-05-2018 at 02:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Yeet so hard
    Reputation: tims5377's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    676
    Man, you have some rough bikes in those links... I wouldn't buy any of em.

    How do you ride and how do you want to be able to ride? Look for something that is going to help you progress towards your goal.

    At your pricepoint I would avoid full suspension. Get a more aggressive hard tail that is going to be better quality and performance. Or wait a year and keep saving...

    I would not go for a 26" bike simply because the industry has moved away from it. While parts are readily available and cheap, you will not be able to resell this bike for anything in a few years.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    As with most people I want to ride better and faster! But in all seriousness, I enjoy technical terrain and flowy descents and I enjoy the moderate climbs to get to them.

    I am currently on a 26" HT from 2006 and have a hard time keeping up with anyone (especially my friend with the 29" Tallboy). I enjoy the HT but wish for a bit more flexibility in my riding. Perhaps this will be fixed by a newer HT with better geometry and wheel size (getting through some technical sections can be rough)? I generally tend to lack more in climbing than descending.

    80%+ of my riding is on easy to moderate terrain with reasonable grades. The remainder is usually shuttling. I went to a free demo day and rode a Norco Sight and Specialized Enduro and enjoyed both but for pedaling would definitely lean towards the sight - and I never really felt limited by its capabilities on my normal trails. As mentioned above, the bigger question for me is if different suspension will better suit the highish weight when geared?


    What do you think of something along these lines?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2326167/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2217107/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2106234/
    https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/ko...520997590.html
    https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/ko...520997590.html
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 03-06-2018 at 08:41 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    I am not sure on sizing but this bike is a pretty good build. I might be abke to scrounge up enough money to make a good offer. Anyone got experience on this bike sizing?

    https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2317110/

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    77
    I would say that you would be ok with the last bike you posted. If itís a littl long you can always shorten the stem. It has a good parts list, but it appears to be well used. I would find out where the seller lives and contact a couple bike shops in the area, ask the seller to bring it by a shop and have them check out the frame for crack/catastrophic damage. If the seller is reluctant then it would cause me to rethink purchasing the bike.

    The cost of the once over by the shop will be on you, but it might save you some heartache in the long run.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    For sure will not be buying a carbon frame without close inspection I agree! I sent a message and will ask how he feels on sizing and get additional pictures for the Marin Attack Trail!

    This bike just popped up on CL. What are your thoughts? Obvious not the best build but drivetrain and bike look to be in good condition and it would save some $$ for upgrades in the future.

    https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...521462095.html

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    77
    Depending on the model it seems like a good/really good deal.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...model=Jekyll+5

    I think this is the model.. I am unfamiliar with the Dyad shock. Maybe shooting for stars and most things may need to be upgraded? I am not as familiar with the older bike parts.. Drivetrain is easy but if it gets into replacing fork & shock I may a well purchase a new bike.

    I am not terrible concerned about resale of the bike if it is only $500 to begin with.. And it has a dropper post which is a good addition.

    Any ideas on those older parts and how they function vs current gears?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    I am thinking of taking a look at the Marin Attack Trail in person at a bike shop (to inspect frame). I have confirmed that seller will go to $1600 (in person with cash I may be able to get it a bit lower).

    https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/20...500204822.html

    The main other option in my opinion is the Trance. It has a decent build and looks to be taken care of. I could certainly get price down there as well.

    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...525156682.html

    Anyone have any comments on the two?? Obviously a big kit difference but I am not trying to shave off weight by any means so I am strictly looking for performance/condition.

    Thank you all for your help!
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 03-10-2018 at 12:02 AM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    77
    Which bike did you end up with?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Man, honestly I dont see any bikes here that really trip my trigger. The Marin Attack Trail is the closest one but it looks pretty rough.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    77
    Yep, just keep looking one will pop up. Just be ready to pull the trigger when it does.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,413
    The reign was an excellent pedaller. It wasn't the most supportive in the stroke, but it pedalled amazing.

    You might not be satisfied with how any FS bike pedals, especially 6 inch bikes. Are you looking for something to stand and mash on?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Might have caught a nice break!!!! This bike was just posted. Yes a 26" but still a great bike. Worth getting?

    https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/...526041959.html

    Drive train looks to be a bit neglected.

    What do you guys think? Worth taking a look in person? Only about 1hr drive from home. Any thoughts on reasonable offer? This guy is at least open to offers unlike the Marin Attack Trail @ $1600. The bike is also most ideal size (medium) for me.

    I think this is it on bike blue book. A bit different suspension build and wheels but neither are a downgrade by any means.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...75&model=73049


    In response to question - my buddies Santa Cruz Tallboy LT pedals great I thought when I rode it.. the reign just felt overly responsive to everything when pedaling. I do use flats so on tougher hills I do tend to mash down on the pedals a bit. Like I said I think that weight and the shock was the biggest issue - I max out the pressure and still had like 40% sag and would blow through to like 60% when pedaling. There may have been some setup mistakes but I tried pretty hard over 5-10 rides to get it to a spot where I liked it!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Might have caught a nice break!!!! This bike was just posted. Yes a 26" but still a great bike. Worth getting?

    https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/...526041959.html

    Drive train looks to be a bit neglected.

    What do you guys think? Worth taking a look in person? Only about 1hr drive from home. Any thoughts on reasonable offer? This guy is at least open to offers unlike the Marin Attack Trail @ $1600. The bike is also most ideal size (medium) for me.

    I think this is it on bike blue book. A bit different suspension build and wheels but neither are a downgrade by any means.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...75&model=73049


    In response to question - my buddies Santa Cruz Tallboy LT pedals great I thought when I rode it.. the reign just felt overly responsive to everything when pedaling. I do use flats so on tougher hills I do tend to mash down on the pedals a bit. Like I said I think that weight and the shock was the biggest issue - I max out the pressure and still had like 40% sag and would blow through to like 60% when pedaling. There may have been some setup mistakes but I tried pretty hard over 5-10 rides to get it to a spot where I liked it!
    IF you are OK with 26" stuff that's not a bad looking bike. Needs a good once over though and likely some things rebuilt.

    I wouldn't personally buy a 26" wheeled bike simply because the market has gone away from them.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    I spoke with the seller. Sounds like brakes were just bled. No recent fork or rear suspension but the bike shop he took it to said nothing about them.

    Dropper he said needs service. Would not be surprised if hubs and freehub would need some form of service in the near future.

    Anyone have thoughts on reasonable offers with this service in mind?

    I am not terribly worried about resale.. 27.5 would be ideal to minimize risk but deals on those will also be harder to come by! Parts are cheap and readily available (and I think will be for some time) for 26.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...526180801.html

    Just popped up as well.

    Anyone have idea on sizing? I read the newer Troy's have longer reaches and they come stock with a super short 35mm stem so the large size may be concerning with my size.

    Appears finding decent bikes below ~1500$ will be a tough one so I may just need to pony up.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...526180801.html

    Just popped up as well.

    Anyone have idea on sizing? I read the newer Troy's have longer reaches and they come stock with a super short 35mm stem so the large size may be concerning with my size.

    Appears finding decent bikes below ~1500$ will be a tough one so I may just need to pony up.
    I would inquire on this one for sure! That almost seems too good to be true.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...526180801.html

    Just popped up as well.

    Anyone have idea on sizing? I read the newer Troy's have longer reaches and they come stock with a super short 35mm stem so the large size may be concerning with my size.

    Appears finding decent bikes below ~1500$ will be a tough one so I may just need to pony up.
    looks like it may be a 2016.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    No news from the Devinci guy.

    Still debating on the Yeti SB66. Lots of work needed is a bit of a deterrent at the price. I did find this though which may be nice as well. Sounds like it is in pretty good condition. Do not know how happy I will be with its pedaling though!

    https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d...525090434.html

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    No news from the Devinci guy.

    Still debating on the Yeti SB66. Lots of work needed is a bit of a deterrent at the price. I did find this though which may be nice as well. Sounds like it is in pretty good condition. Do not know how happy I will be with its pedaling though!

    https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d...525090434.html
    Try and find a medium if you can. IMO.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Anyone know much about this bike? Had a hard time finding much on it.

    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...528596163.html

    It is a Veloforma Rival Two9r.

    I am certainly open to the idea of a higher end hardtail, which is what this appears to be. Mostly XO components and carbon. I do have an older DH bike that covers the intense needs and most of the trails I ride I have ridden on a HT before.

    I do tend to think to stay away from lefty forks though. Less of them = more expensive in repairs and things. This looks like a pretty clean bike in pretty good condition though so I am curious. Bike appears to be a 2014 maybe? My current HT is a 16" and I enjoy the playful aspect and sizing has never been an issue so I would think this would be ok also (on their website the sizes range 16, 17.5, and 19" - no stated 15")

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,931
    If you go hardtail I'd be looking for something with rear Boost and space for a 2.5" tire, plus a slacker ht>. That bike looks steep. At least you can put a wider rim and tire on the Lefty. But I'd look into the exact model fork and the maintenance. See if you can ride with him on a trail.
    https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/20...516272061.html
    This has a short reach.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,075
    you wonít be happy with a relic for 12-14 large.

    the bike you have is better than 99% of the bikes you posted at least at those prices.

    save and buy new and direct next year or two.

    have you spent time in Giant or suspension forum to see how yourReign may be tweaked?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    How is this bike? Will I be happy with the pedaling? Sure, it is not the best build but I could upgrade over time and as needed.

    https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/20...529507233.html

    Blue Book: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear...spx?id=3056399

    I hear what you all are saying. I am certainly leaning towards waiting another year but I also know that buying used gives a lot of value and I do not mind fixing things up within reason.

    I got rid of the Reign not to long ago. Some of the maintenance was coming up that needed fairly expensive tools that were no longer relevant. After some estimations it was going to cost several hundred dollars in tools alone to do an overhaul and I thought that money would be better spent on a upgraded bike!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,075
    buying used is a good option for sure. I have no problem with that approach. But the used bikes you posted are effing way over/priced.

    The exceptions are the SB66. Those are still over-priced but in the range where you can start negotiating to get it for $300-400 less.

    Used is a good option but WTF, who gets $$1.6k for a 7 year old 26Ē wheel bike? donít waste your money there unless you love 26Ē wheels.

    if you are going to spend $1.5-2k on used then get something relevant at least.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,075
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    How is this bike? Will I be happy with the pedaling? Sure, it is not the best build but I could upgrade over time and as needed.

    https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/20...529507233.html

    Blue Book: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear...spx?id=3056399

    I hear what you all are saying. I am certainly leaning towards waiting another year but I also know that buying used gives a lot of value and I do not mind fixing things up within reason.

    I got rid of the Reign not to long ago. Some of the maintenance was coming up that needed fairly expensive tools that were no longer relevant. After some estimations it was going to cost several hundred dollars in tools alone to do an overhaul and I thought that money would be better spent on a upgraded bike!
    okay, you need to get over there with your cash and give that bike a serious look. that is something to seriously consider. go with your money. it wonít last long.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Copy that!

    I got a response from owner pretty quick and will hope to go see it Friday night at the latest. It is a few hour drive so will have to balance if it is worth going prior to weekend unless he can meet in the middle.

    Rims appear to be WTB ST i23 maybe. Hard to tell but it looks like cassette may be a bit worn.

    How does this rear suspension (RockShox Monarch Plus DebonAir from BBB) pedal? Fortunately the bike is located in Bend so I may be able to meet him @ the local trails I ride quite often.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,075
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Copy that!

    I got a response from owner pretty quick and will hope to go see it Friday night at the latest. It is a few hour drive so will have to balance if it is worth going prior to weekend unless he can meet in the middle.

    Rims appear to be WTB ST i23 maybe. Hard to tell but it looks like cassette may be a bit worn.

    How does this rear suspension (RockShox Monarch Plus DebonAir from BBB) pedal? Fortunately the bike is located in Bend so I may be able to meet him @ the local trails I ride quite often.
    Wtb i23 are fine rims. Wtf? Do you just not want to buy a bike? Those are decent rims, don't focus on shit like that. Check the frame for cracks and for and shock for and scratches, wtf?

    Who cares whether the drive train needs to be replaced? Negotiate the ****ing price...If you owned the ****ing bike and rode it you would replace the ****ing drive train at some point. But if the frame is cracked or the suspension is ****ed --then you are ****ed!!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Just making observations on details not contained within the post.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,931
    The bike is a close to dh oriented design. It's primarily meant for going downhill at higher speeds. It's not designed to be among the best peddlers going uphill. i23 inner width rims are ok for high speed dh runs where you'll want heavier less flexible sidewall tires. Ask him to weigh the bike for more info. The current carbon only version is 32lbs and 29 only. I don't have the terrain for anything this heavy. You do in your area.



    Run through the upcoming maintenance costs also.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    How is this bike? Will I be happy with the pedaling? Sure, it is not the best build but I could upgrade over time and as needed.

    https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/20...529507233.html

    Blue Book: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear...spx?id=3056399

    I hear what you all are saying. I am certainly leaning towards waiting another year but I also know that buying used gives a lot of value and I do not mind fixing things up within reason.

    I got rid of the Reign not to long ago. Some of the maintenance was coming up that needed fairly expensive tools that were no longer relevant. After some estimations it was going to cost several hundred dollars in tools alone to do an overhaul and I thought that money would be better spent on a upgraded bike!
    I would jump on this in a heart beat. This bike will peddle just fine!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    FWIW

    Got some more info and images. Wheels are apparently STP i29 not i23. This is probably a good thing anyway as I can probably stiffen up my suspension a bit and compensate for it in the tires.

    Owner said suspension likely needs an overhaul sometime (sounds like he may have never had it done). I am more than comfortable doing this on the fork. Have not attempted it on shocks but I think this has become a bit more user friendly as far as I know? I would presume if suspension has not been tuned that the pivot bearings havent either and will likely need to be. Most of this I can do myself but will need to look into the shock a bit more.

    Anybody have thoughts on fair offer with this work needed in mind? I can think of reasonable offer based on bikes original price but not sure how to adjust for the work needed (or if I should adjust and just get the bike).

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Got some more photos. Looks pretty good overall and am excited to see it.

    There is a nice ding in the downtube but does not appear to be cracked. Owner chipped away some paint to confirm but it is not noticeable when standing upright. Image is below. I will have to look in person to confirm but will plan to meet at a bike shop in case there is any question. Appears to be fine from image though.

    Planning to go look at it Friday evening or Saturday morning!

    Help me choose a new bike!-output.jpg

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    I wouldnt try and haggle too much on price. Its listed pretty decently as it sits. But maybe you could get a little bit off of the price.

    That doesnt look terrible. In a pretty common area. And highly unlikely that its cracked.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,075
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Got some more photos. Looks pretty good overall and am excited to see it.

    There is a nice ding in the downtube but does not appear to be cracked. Owner chipped away some paint to confirm but it is not noticeable when standing upright. Image is below. I will have to look in person to confirm but will plan to meet at a bike shop in case there is any question. Appears to be fine from image though.

    Planning to go look at it Friday evening or Saturday morning!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	output.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1187632
    Sorry for my last post, was out of line and it seemed like you were looking for reasons not to buy a bike, but that isn't the case.

    It is important to be decisive either thumbs up or thumbs down on a used bike. If one's gut says thumbs down then just walk away and don't look back.

    With each additional piece of info it gets a little gloomier. It is trending downward, seemingly. So be careful and don't get reeled in by an ad. For example, suppose the ad said "ding on down tube". "Suspension works great but needs standard oil/seal change" "drive train is about ready"? All of that compared to the actual "well taken care of" in the ad.

    According to the Bluebook you linked the posted price is for "Excellent Condition". There is no way this bike meets my criteria for excellent condition. Frankly, if I had all this other stuff disclosed later, especially the ding, I'd walk away. But that is just me.

    It is still paramount that the bike fits you, and not just S/M/L in the general sense, but that you like the way it fits you. If you had issues with your Reign pedaling then make sure this is not a repeat.

    The ding is more like a dent to me, very close to a weld, and should have been disclosed in pictures in the ad. So I have no problem walking away from this bike.

    A long time ago I won an eBay auction but the bike was local, so I made arrangements to drive up to Mission Viejo and pay in cash. Bike seemed as advertized. I had to pump up the tires as they were nearly flat and my Yakima rack required clamping to inflated tires. I touched the presta valve and it disintegrated (I still do not know how that is possible, maybe it just flew off?) and all the air wooshed out. I turned and looked at the owner and he was like "I don't know what the eff that was about." Did i walk away then? No. So I took the wheel off to put a tube in and get it going, but once the wheel was off, parts of the hub came off and I couldn't get it back together. So then I finally came out of the fog of loving the ad. And the bike that was in the ad. I was so pissed at that point. I told the owner that his bike was a POS. He actually apologized like crazy then and asked that I not report the eBay seller to eBay. I get home and the seller sent me an email saying "You can't just NOT buy the bike." At that point I was livid and of course reported the guy, etc...

    Just be careful out there and don't get reeled in by this or any other bike. At least it is local so no real cost to see for yourself.








    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,894

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    That one looks very attractive. And new is always nice.

    What are you guys thoughts on better components used vs that purchase?

    This was also just posted on craigslist. Similar price but model year newer and maybe a better pedeller since it is a remedy and not the slash. Size is 17.5 which should be a bit more playful. I am tempted to view this bike prior to the other one. Use fits me a bit better and the other guy kinda sprung the dent on me.
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/b...531232585.html

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2341264/
    (can normal people change diaphragm or is this unique and require special tools? never heard of this service being needed.. or is this just basic service stuff?)

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2341257/

    The Spitfire is VERY tempting in that last link but unsure on sizing. May go look at Spitfire and Rune Friday before heading to bend in case they are nicer (they are same seller).

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2237979
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2263819
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 03-16-2018 at 01:35 PM.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16
    You might want to consider Fezarri as well. They come with nice spec for a reasonable price. I test rode one at Outerbike last summer and was really impressed with the cascade peak in 27.5+ They have other options as well https://www.fezzari.com/ I have no connection to the company at all. They do have some bikes right in your price range. Also I have a couple friends with the Diamond Back Catch and both are really happy with them for the pricepoint.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    That one looks very attractive. And new is always nice.

    What are you guys thoughts on better components used vs that purchase?

    This was also just posted on craigslist. Similar price but model year newer and maybe a better pedeller since it is a remedy and not the slash. Size is 17.5 which should be a bit more playful. I am tempted to view this bike prior to the other one. Use fits me a bit better and the other guy kinda sprung the dent on me.
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/b...531232585.html

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2341264/
    (can normal people change diaphragm or is this unique and require special tools? never heard of this service being needed.. or is this just basic service stuff?)

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2341257/

    The Spitfire is VERY tempting in that last link but unsure on sizing. May go look at Spitfire and Rune Friday before heading to bend in case they are nicer (they are same seller).
    I would stick with a medium!

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Planning to look @ banshee today.

    Need some more advice! This bike looks incredibly nice for the price.

    https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik...520068049.html

    I did some research it looks like it has a tapered headtube. Could I push suspension to 120mm or 130mm on this if I wanted? How will the Fox 32 work with me being ~200lb? This is obviously a XC oriented bike but if needed and I could push it into the trail bike region this is a VERY attractive bike. Would be great for the pedaling too.
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 03-17-2018 at 12:20 PM.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    598
    Sorry if I missed it, but have you considered a trek remedy? You can probably find a 2016 for around 2k, maybe less with a little luck.. Really good bike. Anyway, you seem to be all over the place. You should really narrow down exactly what you're looking for and go from there..

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Had 2x Trek Remedy pop up and both went very quickly due to price (i.e. they responded to me 2x and never responded again and posts were removed, assuming sale).

    Looking for a trail bike basically. Open to longer or shorter travel but ideally want something that can handle reasonable rock gardens/roots and pedal well. I have a DH bike so can get my jollies from the lift if I go more XC style bike.

    Like I said above, very interested in this bike below. Nice build and right price.

    https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik...520068049.html

    Only concerns:
    -Maybe a straight headtube (did some research and I think this is a tapered head tube, or atleast it was on 2011 models)
    -Travel Extension (if I change my mind, I can push travel to 120mm or 130mm. Research makes me think I can push atleast 120mm). I will also be able to know better once I ride it
    -Fox 32 @ 200lbs. Will this thing hold up?
    -Descending capability. Will it be able to handle reasonable rock gardens? I think the 29" will handle it well but I am not experienced with 29"

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,931
    Ht> is too steep. You'll need to be on the tracking continually.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Ht> is too steep. You'll need to be on the tracking continually.
    Agreed. Don't buy a bike that old man...

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Ht> is too steep. You'll need to be on the tracking continually.
    Meaning that I cannot just get behind the seat and let the bike steer itself and compensate for mistakes on descents?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,931
    Mistakes will have you resting beside the trail on steeps.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Hmm..

    Maybe should just take a look @ this. Good condition, relatively new, and decent build. Nice middle of road @ decent price

    What is Rx Trail Tune on the shock??

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2237979/

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Hmm..

    Maybe should just take a look @ this. Good condition, relatively new, and decent build. Nice middle of road @ decent price

    What is Rx Trail Tune on the shock??

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2237979/
    Good bike there for a solid price. Go ride it. Stop looking at the older bikes.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,931
    Good bike. Put a Manitou Mattoc Pro IRT on the front and you'll ride everywhere.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/
    Get Boost.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Heard back from the stumpy and looks like it sold already but owner forgot to take it down.

    Am now thinking of just putting in a low(ish) offer on this. I could buy a decent wheelset for not to much used and have a complete. Am debating on offering around $1k (a bit low but fork is not great for selling and it has been posted for a while). Any thoughts?

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2340355/

    Other than that am just continuing to look for good deals on newer bikes. Banshee looks OK but pretty beat up and the bike I really want did not fit so well. Debating on the Trek Slash in Bend because of the dent in downtube and no warning of it (I specifically asked before getting the info).

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Heard back from the stumpy and looks like it sold already but owner forgot to take it down.

    Am now thinking of just putting in a low(ish) offer on this. I could buy a decent wheelset for not to much used and have a complete. Am debating on offering around $1k (a bit low but fork is not great for selling and it has been posted for a while). Any thoughts?

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2340355/

    Other than that am just continuing to look for good deals on newer bikes. Banshee looks OK but pretty beat up and the bike I really want did not fit so well. Debating on the Trek Slash in Bend because of the dent in downtube and no warning of it (I specifically asked before getting the info).
    I highly doubt you will touch that frame for 1200 let alone 1000. But I guess it never hurts to see what he says!

    Otherwise keep looking man.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R_Pierce; 03-20-2018 at 06:28 AM.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    And thats a great fork actually.... I would pick x-fusion over rockshox and most Fox ANY DAY.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Haven't ridden one, just read that it was not as good in fine tuning as others!

    Owner said he had gotten some other offers but could do $1200.

    Can anyone help me look for wheelsets near Portland to see if this could work? Closer to Portland the better. I can usually identifying good wheelsets but am not familiar with much.. Any help is appreciated! Use the link below if you do not mind briefly looking. Would probably like to stay around $300 if I can get a decent used wheelset for that.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...89&category=12

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Haven't ridden one, just read that it was not as good in fine tuning as others!

    Owner said he had gotten some other offers but could do $1200.

    Can anyone help me look for wheelsets near Portland? Closer to Portland the better. I can usually identifying good wheelsets but am not familiar with much.. Any help is appreciated! Use the link below if you do not mind briefly looking. Would probably like to stay around $300 if I can get a decent used wheelset for that.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...89&category=12
    Anything DT Swiss will work fine! I'll take a look when I get home here in a bit.

    Also as far as the fork goes, it will work just fine. I went from a Rockshocks Reba RL to an X-Fusion McQueen (granted it had their newer damper, but still) and it was an increase in every aspect. Then went to a Manitou Mattoc and it's on another level yet. I wouldn't trade this Mattoc for any other fork.




    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Here is a cheap set that would get you riding. Likely heavy but they would probably stand up well.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2168666/

    Or these are even better! But you would need to get a shimano freehub instead of the XD driver, as well as rotors.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2338709/

    Or here is a decent set that will get you going as well. These have the correct free hub driver on them. But you will need to buy rotors and tires still. (I would go with this set personally for the money. Spend another 200.00 on tires/rotors and call it a day)

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2120732/

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Just noticed he has rotors included with the bike. So even better! Buy the last set, spend 100-125 on a decent set of tires and go ride!! I would jump on that bike (after carefully looking it over as it is carbon after all) and that last wheel set. You will have a hell of a bike for under 1600.00

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Will take a quick look @ the ones you posted when I get home.

    How is the Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels (came off a 2017 Trek Remedy 8 he said)?

    He said his buddy has those wheels and could provide (with Bontrager XR3 expert tires I think) that he could include for $150. Tread seemed OK but hard to tell.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Will take a quick look @ the ones you posted when I get home.

    How is the Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels (came off a 2017 Trek Remedy 8 he said)?

    He said his buddy has those wheels and could provide (with Bontrager XR3 expert tires I think) that he could include for $150. Tread seemed OK but hard to tell.
    Buy em. You are on a budget so you dont need anything special.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    True, but i do not want to ride for 2 weeks and have a wheel taco on me.
    Not to concerned about weight (within reason) as long as they are up to the task!

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    True, but i do not want to ride for 2 weeks and have a wheel taco on me.
    Not to concerned about weight (within reason) as long as they are up to the task!
    They wont taco. They will be just fine. You arent going to be doing any 10 ft drops anyways if I had to guess.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    They wont taco. They will be just fine. You arent going to be doing any 10 ft drops anyways if I had to guess.
    Nope!

    Typically up to ~5ft or so. If landing is super clean may consider stuff a bit larger but wont be going up to there anytime soon. Generally stay away from larger gap jumps and stuff like that.

    I am still quite young but do not wish to hurt myself! My dad broke part of his spine and leg/ankle combo biking and it did not do him well to say the least.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    I would say grab them for that price. You can always save for a better wheelset in the future if you think you need it.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Sweet!

    Tentatively scheduled to look @ bike tomorrow evening. Taking it to a bike shop that will do free estimate on service so they can confirm things are functioning well.

    Aside from frame damage, is there any reason I should not purchase the bike for total of $1350? Example, shock & fork need service and drivetrain is worn, or dropper needs rebuild or anything? Obviously a combo of these would be bad but again, within reason.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Sweet!

    Tentatively scheduled to look @ bike tomorrow evening. Taking it to a bike shop that will do free estimate on service so they can confirm things are functioning well.

    Aside from frame damage, is there any reason I should not purchase the bike for total of $1350? Example, shock & fork need service and drivetrain is worn, or dropper needs rebuild or anything? Obviously a combo of these would be bad but again, within reason.
    IMO no. Even if those things needed to be done its an amazing price. Again, my opinion. Fork and shock service should happen yearly anyways (depending on how many miles you put on the bike a year) The drivetrain COULD be worn (cassette and chain) but thats another "wear" item.

    As long as the frame is solid and not beat up/cracked/in need of pivot bearings, etc.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,075
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Sweet!

    Tentatively scheduled to look @ bike tomorrow evening. Taking it to a bike shop that will do free estimate on service so they can confirm things are functioning well.

    Aside from frame damage, is there any reason I should not purchase the bike for total of $1350? Example, shock & fork need service and drivetrain is worn, or dropper needs rebuild or anything? Obviously a combo of these would be bad but again, within reason.
    Everything is negotiable, so things like wear and normal service are just that. But they can be points to negotiate a lower price.

    I guess I am supposed to know that this bike is the shiazt? But I don't--it's a Marin. I haven't heard anything noteworthy from that brand in over ten years. Not being a bike snob, just pointing out that the brand fell off the face of the earth for a while. Maybe they make quality stuff now?

    The good for you is that the single picture reveals someone who possibly knows something about riding and maintaining bikes. The bad is that they only post one picture in an ad. With no information?

    How will you tell if this bike fits you well if it is just a frame set and fork? What about how it pedals? Does Marin have a suspension design?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Everything is negotiable, so things like wear and normal service are just that. But they can be points to negotiate a lower price.

    I guess I am supposed to know that this bike is the shiazt? But I don't--it's a Marin. I haven't heard anything noteworthy from that brand in over ten years. Not being a bike snob, just pointing out that the brand fell off the face of the earth for a while. Maybe they make quality stuff now?

    The good for you is that the single picture reveals someone who possibly knows something about riding and maintaining bikes. The bad is that they only post one picture in an ad. With no information?

    How will you tell if this bike fits you well if it is just a frame set and fork? What about how it pedals? Does Marin have a suspension design?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you look at his profile he has more pictures of the bike as a whole before he decided to relist it without wheels.

    There are multiple reviews out there on this bike all of which have some pretty good things to say about it (especially in the climbing department) Only issue I see is it does have a shorter reach so its going to feel a bit smaller than a standard Medium frame (more upright pedaling position which isnt all bad!)

    cjsb has a good point about the fit. Maybe see if he can put those wheels from his buddy on the bike so that you can ride it even if just up and down the street to check and make sure positioning is comfortable for you (especially when standing in the attack position)

    Oh, and I never said it was the shiazt. But compared to some of the other ones he has looked at I would rate it pretty high up there! Especially at the price point.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    He said he is putting on wheels and building it up tonight for me to ride tomorrow.

    My HT is 16" so and I am ok with the reach on that so I think it will turn out well. We will see though.

    Most of what I read boil it down to a long travel trail bike basically (very boiled down).

    Bike should come with pedals, considering he stated that only thing needed for a complete is wheels. I also told him I look forward to riding it. If it does not come with pedals I will maybe negotiate down $50 and buy a new set or bring along some of my older ones.
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 03-21-2018 at 09:37 AM.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    He said he is putting on wheels and building it up tonight for me to ride tomorrow.

    My HT is 16" so and I am ok with the reach on that so I think it will turn out well. We will see though.

    Most of what I read boil it down to a long travel trail bike basically (very boiled down).

    Bike should come with pedals, considering he stated that only thing needed for a complete is wheels. I also told him I look forward to riding it. If it does not come with pedals I will maybe negotiate down $50 and buy a new set or bring along some of my older ones.
    definitely take a set of pedals just in case! And I would have zero qualms about buying that bike if everything checks out and it fits you OK

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Confirmed bike comes with pedals and saddle.

    Picture of bike fully assembled. Appears I have been upgraded to Hans Dampf tire up front! Rear tire looks maybe a bit worn but certainly rideable and nothing to complain about.

    Looking at it tonight. Unless anything comes up, $1350 is planned final cost.

    Any final concerns/comments are much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me choose a new bike!-7310.jpg  


  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Confirmed bike comes with pedals and saddle.

    Picture of bike fully assembled. Appears I have been upgraded to Hans Dampf tire up front! Rear tire looks maybe a bit worn but certainly rideable and nothing to complain about.

    Looking at it tonight. Unless anything comes up, $1350 is planned final cost.

    Any final concerns/comments are much appreciated.
    So what's the verdict??


    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    Bike needs some normal maintenance work but i went ahead with the purchase!!

    Frame looked good, stanchions clear, drivetrain looked reasonable etc.

    Will try to get a picture up on the bike soon. Planning to do some of the service saturday and ride sunday.

    Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Bike needs some normal maintenance work but i went ahead with the purchase!!

    Frame looked good, stanchions clear, drivetrain looked reasonable etc.

    Will try to get a picture up on the bike soon. Planning to do some of the service saturday and ride sunday.

    Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
    right on man!! Reach and everything felt OK?

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1
    I like the first link, nice color and affordable price

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    117
    It felt quite nice actually! Going up low grade hill felt at home. Dropper got out of the way well on downhill. The reach was great - as I thought coming from the 16" frame that was a bit small it feels nice to be upright a bit more.

    Work im planning on doing is basic tune of derailleur and brakes. Plan to also swap headset bearings. Want to replace fork oil too. A bit of work but i want a nice ride when i finally get on it- hopefully this weekend.

    Pivot bearings and wheels felt nice. Drivetrain looked good overall.

    Guy at shop mentioned may be air in shock (could tell it was rebounding a bit slower). I want to do a basic service and see what i find. Is there a way to tell if the boost valve vs main chamber is the issue? I have to play with settings too to get more info. Not sure how easy doing boost valve is if that turns out to be the issue but I will read into it regardless. If I cannot repair I am debating on just sending it to Fox or Push to get a service for a bit of money and just ride it like new.
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 03-22-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 09:46 AM
  2. The search for a perfect bike over?
    By MTBNate in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-20-2011, 12:42 PM
  3. Looking for help starting a bike search
    By eastcoastrider in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 03:06 PM
  4. Bike Search Website
    By Chase1996 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM
  5. New Bike Search!
    By sparkman10 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Members who have read this thread: 186

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.