mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Help me choose a mtb

I am new to mountain biking and i am stucked with these 4 options trek marlin 5,giant atx 2 27.5,mongoose tyax sports,or diamondback recoil 2009.i like to go on the grass and do a lot of jumps but most of the time it will be on cement or concrete paths. Pls help a fellow mtb noob here

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Probably a better thread for the beginner section. Those bikes are not thought of as "all-mountain" per se, they are more like XC bikes. In between XC and All-Mountain would be 'trail bikes', so there is quite a bit of difference between XC and All-Mountain bikes.

Since you are new to the sport, the bikes you're referencing would be decent choices for someone looking to see if this whole thing is for them, or not without going whole hog with a large investment. Spending a lot on a bike without knowing if you like the sport, and without knowing which niche fits you best is risky at best.

The good thing about entry level mountain bikes is that this is a super competitive segment, and by and large you're going to get as much bike as you are willing to pay for in most cases (aside from from finding a killer deal on a year end closeout). Mongoose and Diamondback bikes are priced well for the component spec, but you may find that they are generally a bit heavier. Even so, they would be fine for getting you out to ride so you can figure out if the sport is for you, and a little bit about what particular niche of riding you prefer so that your search for your next bike will be more likely to be focused on the type of riding you end up gravitating toward.

If you need this bike to last a while, and you are the type to want to push the performance envelope, a bike that costs a bit more may extend the useful lifespan (as it relates to your riding endevours) of the bike. In other words, a bike that costs $800 to $1,000 is likely going to take you further than a $400 to $600 bike before you feel the urge to move on to something that will cost considerably more.