mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Help me choose, going to purchase this week...

OK guys, so my first bike(2005 Haro V2) that I bought 2 years ago is giving out on me. Front fork bottoms out, rear derailuer is broken, and some other things. So any way I am at a dilema and can't really decide. Here are my two options:

2006 Specialized Stumpjumper - http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22280

2007 Haro Escape Comp - http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/escape_comp.php

I haven't ridden the Haro yet but I have ridden the specialized. The thing with the specialized is that the handle bars are to narrow, which isn't really a big deal I can get new ones for cheap. I really like that fact that the bike is lite very lite. The big thing that is really bothering me about the specialized is the fork. It has only 80MM of travel and I have a feeling that it will be bottoming out for me and not be able to support me. Any ideas? I would classify myself as a clydesdale riders, body wise.

So with the Haro, since not haveing ridden yet. But the LBS owner told me the Haro isn't to much heavier and the parts are a bit comparable. I really like the fact that the front fork as a lot of travel.To me it is that added reassurance that I am not going to bottom out. Teh thing that I am worried about with the Haro is that I am going to be sitting on it like a BMX bike.

Can anyone please help me or advise me with anything. I am not looking for anything like "Get a Specialized because it is awesome and Haro sucks."

mtbr member
    The amount of travel a fork has does not have anything to do with whether it will bottom out. Proper spring rate is what determines whether your fork bottoms or not. As far as the Spec vs Haro the bikes you are looking at seem very different. The Spec has more cross country geometry with a steeper head angle and shorter travel fork while the Haro looks like more of a "trail" bike with slacker angles, bash guard and flat pedals. You should decide which one suits the type of riding you do.

ride hard take risks
    Haro baby It's all set up to rip n shred
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I got a haro escape. Not a comp, just a normal one. Its a great bike, but you have to consider what your gonna be doing with your bike. The specialized and the haro are not alike at all. The Haro is bombproof though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    TAs far as the Spec vs Haro the bikes you are looking at seem very different. The Spec has more cross country geometry with a steeper head angle and shorter travel fork while the Haro looks like more of a "trail" bike with slacker angles, bash guard and flat pedals. You should decide which one suits the type of riding you do.

spot on. those are two WAY different bikes. I would question whether or not that bike shop employee knows his products well. The haro is more of an all mountain/ trail bike while the stumpjumper is much more XC.

If you ride long distances with lots of climbing with fitness and speed in mind, go for the stumpy. The aggressive pedaling position ( meaning seat high, handle bars low) will be much more efficient than the Haro and the lighter weight will mean less you have to push up the hill. The fox F90 is a beautiful fork, but with shorter travel for xc riders. the shorter the travel, the less control you will have at high speeds in the very rocky terrain. At the same time the shorter travel will be much more efficient if your on smoother trails.

If your riding more agressive trails, probably a bit slower, and are not focused on getting to the top of the hill first, go for the haro. The Relaxed geometry (meaning sitting upright, and back) will greatly increase your control on the downhills, but be a hindrance on the uphills. The longer travel fork will conquer the rough sections much better than the Fox.

when your buying a new bike, look at the frame geometry first as this will dictate how the bike will ride. Your frame is the one part you cant really upgrade easily so make sure you get the one you want. second, look at the fork. The very last thing you should look at the component spec.

So in the end, consider how you ride. what trails you ride. what is your attitude when you ride. Even how you think you will be riding in the future. And then make sure the LBS employee understands these things about you and then he should be able to point you towards the right direction. If he did not ask these questions, find a different shop. good luck, enjoy the ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well I do street riding and trail riding. The trail riding I do is not really aggressive. A 2 foot drop is about the most air I see. Going over logs is pretty normal. So I don't know if the Haro is overkill and the only thing I don't want from the Haro is to sit like a BMX.

When sitting on the escape is it more like a BMX where the bars are closer and you sit straighter or is it more like a mountain bike where you lean forward?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It does feel more scrunched in but changing a stem would probably fix it. I can climb fine with it, and I actually like the more compact feel becuase I have more control intsead of feeling awkward and being all stretched out. I rode on BMX bikes as a child so I prefer a more tight feeling instead of being stretched out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yeah the haro will feel more upright. but its different than a BMX because your getting full leg extension. a bmx will be much lower.just make sure you ride it and see. they are both great bikes. if your riding over logs and drops, even small ones, you will have alot more control on the haro. with the specialized your weight will be forward more so you really have to lean back on steep trails or over small drops (meaning more chance of going over the bars. plus the wider bar will give you more control too. just make sure you test it out and go with your instincts. you will be happy in the end either way

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    if your riding distances on road, go for the stumpy