mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Help finding a Seat Post 30.6MM

hi guys I figured I would come and ask for help from the experts. I need a new seat post for my bike. My bike is a Haro V2:

http://harobikes.com/atb/v2.php

My seat keeps moving when it is clamped to the seat post. The movement is in the section where the seat clamps to the post and not where the post clamps to the frame. No matter how hard I screw the screw in there is always some play. So I am looking for a new seatpost. My seatposts size is a 30.6 x 300 which I was told is an irregular size. I called JensonUSA and they couldn't really help me. THe best they had was a 30.4. After some googling I found:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Seatpost.aspx

I was looking possibly for one with 2 screws, thinking it might hold better. Any suggestions?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Sly, I would get a traditional 27.2 seatpost and shim the frame to the post. They make exact shims to go from your 30.6 frame to a 27.2 post. There is a much bigger selection of 27.2 posts to pick from. Additionally I think a quality shimmed frame and post interface may actually be more secure in many instances. I've used shimmed seatpost setups in most all my bikes for many years and have never had slippage or failure issues...and I like to sit as much as possible, which I blame on my laziness from riding dirt motors...LOL! QBP (Problem Solvers brand) and Cane Creek are at least two outfits that make such shims. I wouldn't recommend the tapered shims that allegedly fit more than one size post to one size frame. Get a straight, single length shim.

And yes, I'd recommend the dual, microadjust type posts (Thomson style) as they offer infinite positions and hold their location.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Sly, I would get a traditional 27.2 seatpost and shim the frame to the post. They make exact shims to go from your 30.6 frame to a 27.2 post. There is a much bigger selection of 27.2 posts to pick from. Additionally I think a quality shimmed frame and post interface may actually be more secure in many instances. I've used shimmed seatpost setups in most all my bikes for many years and have never had slippage or failure issues...and I like to sit as much as possible, which I blame on my laziness from riding dirt motors...LOL! QBP (Problem Solvers brand) and Cane Creek are at least two outfits that make such shims. I wouldn't recommend the tapered shims that allegedly fit more than one size post to one size frame. Get a straight, single length shim.

And yes, I'd recommend the dual, microadjust type posts (Thomson style) as they offer infinite positions and hold their location.

Thanks for the reply. So the most common size is a 27.2? I just want to make sure before I make any commitments to a seat post and shim.

Thanks.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Go into any respectable local bike shop and they can order a 30.6 post for you from BTI, QBP, SBA, etc. etc.

No need to buy a 27.2 and shim it. That's just too much work...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bao
    Go into any respectable local bike shop and they can order a 30.6 post for you from BTI, QBP, SBA, etc. etc.

No need to buy a 27.2 and shim it. That's just too much work...

Tried that. I was told they don't even make 30.6 and he looked at his book of parts to order and couldn't even find one.

I am going to go the shim route.

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by SychoSly
    Tried that. I was told they don't even make 30.6 and he looked at his book of parts to order and couldn't even find one.

I am going to go the shim route.

There is one manufacturer that makes a 30.6 which is Kalloy and their Posts are not all that great. Shimming it will give you the best option for posts and like TNC pointed out shims actually hold secure.

Why Haro would make some off number like that is beyond me.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

Me hates pinchflat
    I hate strange diameter seatposts...
    My 30.0 seatpost (Ironhorse) stripped. I was literally stuck for MONTHS with it because I could find the proper one. I stuck it with locktite and a tube every other weekend
    I ended up buying a 29.8
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    SychoSly try this web site www.bikeparts.com I had a ironhorse warrior with a odd ball seat post size I changed to a different seat post and they had a shim that fit and I never had an issue with the seat post slipping because of going to a 27.5 post and using a shim hope this is some help

TNC
    noMAD man
    But Muggs...Ray says it's too much work to install a shim...LOL! I know I worked my fingers to the bone installing a shim one time. It was like building the pyramids, I tell ya.

it's....

misprint

must be an error, better verify with Kona b4 you actually buy a seatpost.
    All other models use either 30.9 or 27.2 seatpost if you check the link.
    Only V series show 30.6 which looks like someone mistyped 30.9.

nothing relevant to say
    Call American Classic at 800-813-5545 I bet they have one.

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    But Muggs...Ray says it's too much work to install a shim...LOL! I know I worked my fingers to the bone installing a shim one time. It was like building the pyramids, I tell ya.

Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i have a haro v2..........starter bike that i now have way too much money in. all race face components and mavic wheels, shimano disc brakes and tora front fork. (just love the geometry of the haro) anyways, my v2 takes a 30.9 dia. seatpost. i purchased a new race face from pricepoint. if your interested, i have a brand new easton ea50 post that i would sell really cheap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Kalloy makes a 30.6, that's all I know of though.