Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help for a Fat Noob

981 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hapeepotter 
#1 ·
Like the title says i am fat and a noob. I am starting my weight loss journey and need a new bike. I used to live in Alaska and ride trails and hit small jumps but then I moved and never got back into biking. I have never had a real nice bike of any sort mostly walmart and sports authority quality bikes. I want to buy a nice bike for around $1000, $1500 max. I could build it if need be I am pretty crafty. I want a good frame to start at least then I would be willing to upgrade the components as time goes on. Just need advice where to start. I am 6'3" and around 300 lbs. I am in what I consider decent shape for that size as I am working out constantly. I just started a Keto diet and want to supplement it with some more cardio type stuff, I hate to run, but I love to bike. So I am looking for some advice. Thanks

#3 ·
Here is some meta-advice, as in advice to help you interpret the advice you get from other people.

Politely put aside everything people tell you about performance. Performance (in contrast to durability, value, etc.) is the angle that the majority of cycling marketing uses, and otherwise intelligent, kind riders will regurgitate those marketing messages back to you without consideration. So much of that stuff just isn't going to be relevant to you (yet).

Keep the $1500 close to your vest and stick w/ the <$1000 budget.

With two big changes on the horizon (more riding and changing body weight), you can't expect your first bike to be perfect for you now and 3 years down the road. I recommend getting as close to perfect for you now. Down the road you'll be dying to drop a bunch of money on a new bike anyway.

Here is some normal advice:

Consider the trails you will be riding, and the 'style' of riding you think you'll do. If a hardtail fits into that image, all the better. If full sus is very important to you, you aren't sunk, but it'll make your search more complicated.

I will get negative props for this but F it, I care about riders more than businesses, even businesses that support riders: "showroom" some bikes to get a feel for how things work. On the little parking lot test rides you'll get, ask the sales person to focus on getting the sag (air sprung fork!!!) set right and fork to feel good. Anyone can help you put your saddle in the right place after purchase. None of us can help you if you buy a bike w/ a fork that is too soft under a 300lbs rider and the air spring pressure is maxed out or damping totally overwhelmed). Buy (new) from the shop or (used) from the buddy that is giving you the best deal. You can practice perfect cycling-supporting economics later when you are rich and dedicated to the sport.

Good luck!
P.S. my younger brother dropped ~75lbs last year and got his start changing his diet and riding a Rockhopper that had been getting dusty in his room for ~3 years, and would only see use when I visited. One day he just went for it.

#4 ·
Some great advice so far. At your price point and size, I would suggest looking at a 29" trail oriented hardtail; the Kona Taro springs to mind. This will provide you a well riding durable platform and give you a great second bike if you later decide riding is your thing and want a nice full suspension bike. At 6'3" I guess that you will always be over 200 pounds unless you have a slight build, so you do need to consider strength vs durability and account for your riding style. For example, I am 230 pounds and tend to be very smooth, so I don't worry about breaking stuff, while there are 160 pound guys that are very aggressive and break nearly everything.

Reactions: Snfoilhat
#5 ·
For the first while I plan on riding roads to and from work. So it will mostly be paved. I would prefer full suspension for the future. With fs I plan on just locking out the suspension until I find a trial to go on then loosen it a little. I want fs for the future but I am considering getting a rockhopper because I rented one a while back and rode some trails on it. (I was heavy then) And I loved it.

#7 ·
Kona Honzo is my recommendation. Super stout bike. And don't waste your time on 26er. I'm 6'4" and the Honzo is the best riding and fitting bike I've had in years and I had quite a few AM hardtails (On-One 456 SS, Ragley Blue Pig, Transition TransAM, all 26ers)

But biking in my opinion will only get you so far. Last season in April I was 265 lbs waking up from winter hibernation. Biked regularly over the summer months, and I mean almost every other day for 3-4 hrs on the regular. In September I was down to maybe 250 on a good day, but hovered around 255. Biking season ended for me in October here in the Midwest and been hitting the gym daily since then for 90 minutes with weight training MWF and cardio on T Tr. Right now I'm at 195 lbs and still have a few more to drop, but mostly tone up better. And I couldn't be happier, riding now is so much more fun, a hell of a lot less tiring and what seemed challenging last year in terms of climbing or ride duration is super easy now. This season I'm riding less days but I'm out 5 to 6 hours at a time coming back to the car not completely wasted like I was last year.

Either way, enjoy your journey and riding, I just wish I've done it sooner (the gym really) as I've been riding since high school and I'm 26 now.

#9 ·
And what fork would that be? There's no 34mm 140mm with 20mm, only 15QR. And in my personal experience, the axle debate is moot point when comparing a 32mm fork to a 34mm fork. I've owned both a Revelation 140 with a 20mm axle and a couple of Fox 34 with 15QR, the Fox stuff is bounds stiffer.

#10 ·
to the OP,
have you considered a fat bike?
i have no actual numbers to support this, except that in our group of friends that get together at our LBS, 3 guys went fat and dropped a lot of weight. we didn't even ride together, we just noticed that the same things were happening to us, like losing inches and getting stronger.
we dont get snow at all, so we actually consider the fatbikes as training tools we use during the weekdays, so we can fly on the weekend rides on our 26ers.
just a thought.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.