mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Help with drops and jumps

Hi everyone, I can't seem to keep my feet planted on the pedals when I do drops and jumps or anything that involves air. I was doing more XC and was riding with clipless so I never really had that problem but since I started on flat pedals, my feet kept lifting off the pedals when I take small jumps and drops etc and it's freggin' scary. I'm new to the discipline of AM but very interested. Would appreciate any tips. THKS!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I find pushing down on the pedals whilst lifting up on the bars help keep you planted. As well, spikey pedals and grippy shoes help. I think the coordination of the jumping effort helps in addition to staying relaxed. Start out with jumps you're comfy with. Drops I find are easier in that you can with enough speed just drop off with a slight pull of the bars and shifting your butt over the back wheel. Go small first. Hope this helps you out because I'm learning as well. And I've wiped out lots in the process. Oh yeah, pads and a camel back are a must while you learn. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Point your toes down a little bit and 'scoop' the pedal back and up with the bottom of your foot when you jump. Keeps your shoes against the pedal pins.

Oh yes, good pedals and sticky shoes (5.10 Impacts) help a lot too.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Freeriding Feline
    5. 10 Impacts are amazing shoes.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy
    Hi everyone, I can't seem to keep my feet planted on the pedals when I do drops and jumps or anything that involves air.
    See here:
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/drops-s...at-pedals.html
    Last edited by djska; 08-07-2006 at 10:59 PM.

Out Of Control
    510s, specialized low pro pedals, and push them feet into the pedals.

mtbr member
    link fixed

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Why don't you still use clipless?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm trying to learn wheelies, wheelie drops, bunny hops etc and heard that it's not a good idea doing them on clipless cause you'd be 'cheating' on hopping type stuff and I'm scared shitless about not being able to unclip in time when I lose balance on the wheelies or anything airborne.
    I'm riding with easton flatboys and Vans shoes.
    Anyway, great link, and thanks for all your inputs. Can't wait to try them out.

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006
    I'm in the same boat except I'm sticking with clipless. Any descent websites with primers on jumps and drops?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by pcxmbfj
    I'm in the same boat except I'm sticking with clipless. Any descent websites with primers on jumps and drops?
    I won't bother telling you all the nightmare stories I could about my friends who have had very serious wrecks learning how to hit jumps and drops with clipless pedals. I learned my own lesson when I broke a metatarsal landing a 4' drop in Sedona a few years back. Keep the SPD's for XC rides and learn how to huck with flats! Not only will you learn faster, you'll be much safer.

The thing with SPD's is that you are already in the habit of lifting the rear of the bike up with your feet. This greatly increases the chances of landing front wheel first. If this goes wrong, you are maechanically attached to the bike which means you are going to get pile-driven by it if you endo.

Flats pretty much guarantee that your rear wheel will drop first. I hated riding flats at first but two years later I am so happy I stuck with it- and I still ride SPD's for anything XC.
    tips:
    • pony up and buy skate shoes and good pedals, it makes things so much easier. try sierratradingpost.com for cheap skate shoes (look for DC)
    • Point your toes down and push back on your feet when you are trying to lift the bike up. Pull up and push forward on the bars at the same time, so you are leveraging yourself between the pedals and bars. This is the trick to not coming off the pedals when airborne- it also centers your weight low & behind the middle of the bike.
    • Push your heels down just a little when you are descending on rough terrain. This keeps your feet from sliding off the pedals.
    • concentrate on pre-loading the bike before you hop or jump off anything.
    • roll your ankles so your heels go down when you are preloading, then up so that your toes point down as you become airborne.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by FM; 08-05-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

Riding Clipless

You sound right on target because it seems I have the most trouble staying off the front when landing. I've got a hardtail Litespeed that I moved a set of platform or clipless pedals to. I'm going to start using it when I get some stronger wheels.