mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Help with Diamondback Mission 3

I am looking to buy a 09 Mission 3. The problem is that its missing the Hammerschmidt crank that was used for the internal gears and has been changed to a single speed up front. Do you think its worth it the buy the bike now and replace it and what would you guess paying. It has a new 66 RC3 fork and Hope brakes, WTB Dual Duty roms/ Continental tires. Any ideas would be great!

T.W.O
    The only reason to buy the 3 is for the hammerschmidt.

mtbr member
    IMHO taking off the Hammershmidt was a GOOD idea. Instantly save yourself a kilo-ish of weight and get rid of that pedalling in treacle feeling of the overdrive (note: my opinion only).

As for buying it, your call really. Missions are sold here under the Univega name, it's a nice bike. If the bike's in good condition and the price is right, why not?

If you really, really want it you can fit another Hammer, or a granny ring/front mech, the frame has cable stops for one.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 12-28-2010 at 02:44 PM.

My spelling is atroshus
    That crank setup looks like it might be kind of heavy. I never heard of it, but it looks like it would rule for downhill stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Any ideas on offer price?

Butts Up Fast!
    I run my mission 1x9 and love it. Cant give an opinion on price without more detail. How long has it been ridden? Where has it been ridden? Pic maybe? Have you ridden it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I havent got to ride except around a parking lot for a test ride. Its muddy and rain in OH and the trails are closed until it freezes. I ended up picking it for 800. Its a little heavier than I would like but I know it will be able to take a beating. It doesnt look like it was run too much and he ran it at vaulters knob and around OH mainly. Band new fork only used once. What did you use to convert to 1x9?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Diamondback Mission 3-2009-misson-3.jpg  

Help with Diamondback Mission 3-2009-mission-3-single-speed-front-conversion.jpg  

Help with Diamondback Mission 3-2009-mission-3-w-66-rc3.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'd say that fork is crazy big for that bike, but you got a good deal. Watch out for that axle lever on you fork pointing forward?? I don't know about Marzocchi thru axles, though

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    you can keep tighting the axle..it will then click after each turn ...made that way so you can spin the handle to a safe postion that is usually parallel to your fork sanctions.

T.W.O
    800 is a super sweet deal for that, I can get a pro deal from Diamondback that wouldn't be that cheap lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the advice about the axel. I need to adjust my brakes because they are rubbing on the rotors and I might need to replace the pads but cant find a model number anywhere. Anyone know where I can get the info for the Hope brakes? I checked the website but they all look the same.

usually cranky
    good deal for $800 but the 66 seems like waaay too much fork.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    good deal for $800 but the 66 seems like waaay too much fork.
    What he said. That's a lot of fork for that bike. IMO, something like a Lyrik or 36 would be a much better match.

Otherwise, looks like a sweet deal.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah the bike's designed around a 150-160mm fork. they came specc'd with a 150mm fox. If that's a 160mm 55 then you'd be fine. Its only the Scapegoat variant that's able to mount a 180mm fork and only for 2011 (180mm 36) as they came with a 160mm 36 previously.