mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Help choosing a new fork.

My current fork is a 44 and it's a great fork but it lacks complex adjustments and is slightly flexxy. I'm looking for a new fork that has 34mm> stanchions and a straight 1 1/8 steer tube and 150ish mm, frame is 120-160mm. 55cr and vengeance are the forks I'm aware of now so opinions in them would be great as well as other suggestions. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Are you willing to buy used??

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Are you willing to buy used??
    Maybe. Depends on how old and what model. Also you might be interested to know it's going on a surge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just put a 2012 Magura Thor on my Mojo SL. Ridden is twice and its great. Still dialing it in but I am really happy with it. If you look around you should be able to find it for around $600.

mtbr member
    I am interested to know that

I have a surge and im really happy with it the frame can be built up lots of different ways. I have a fox 32 140r and a fox 36 160rcl

honestly i wouldn't pay to much attention to all the extra knobs you can get most forks to act the way you want them to... the secret is knowing what you want

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    Given those two choices go with the 55. I run away from travel adjust forks. Then again the magura is cheaper... but the 55 is coil so if you want a long lasting durable fork you can beat to **** get the zoke

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Given those two choices go with the 55. I run away from travel adjust forks. Then again the magura is cheaper... but the 55 is coil so if you want a long lasting durable fork you can beat to **** get the zoke
    How well do Surges rode with 160mm forks?

mtbr member
    I think 140 is the sweet spot if your doing XC. But im keeping the 160 on cause the 140 get overwhelmed by highspeed tech. So im giving up climbing low speed balance and aceleration...

mtbr member
    heres the 140 version

photo 0706131347a.jpg

photo Fug_notch-1.jpg

photo logride.png

And 160mm version

photo IMG_20130905_153005-1.jpg

photo 9684592270_62a6d9aa4d_c.jpg
    photo by jhazard

and doing DH at angel fire new mexico

So it all depends on what you want out of the bike and how you ride... i would probably leave it set up with the 140mm but the wheel set wouldnt last so since im so hard on bikes ill just take my medicine and ride a heavy bike rather then buy wheels every year

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't do that much XC trails and the ones that I normally do are fairly tame so I think I will keep it at 160 for the most part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrin View Post
    My current fork is a 44 and it's a great fork but it lacks complex adjustments
    Aside from the Vengeance HLR none of the current forks have complex adjustment, at best you are tightening a spring to preload the damper, at worst you have a three positions all wrong set up like CTD or RCT3. If you send it to PUSH the 34 can have hi-lo speed compression adjustment, but that's preload too. Adjusters are over rated.

It's expensive (about $500 for cartridge/fitting of, shipping extra), but you can send your 44 to Avalanche and get the Avy cartridge installed, that will give you a fork to match anything up to and including a BOS. If you're set on buying new you'll be making a side-grade rather than an upgrade over the 44.

If you must have a new fork, BOS Deville, 34mm stanchions, comes in 1 1/8th and best damper this side of the Avy set up.

mtbr member
    Spade has it right. If you want a new fork with all the bells and whistles, look at the Vengeance (36mm stanchion) or Deville (34mm stanchion). The other forks mentioned above don't have much better adjustment than your current setup.

Avalanche is a good second option if you like the fork, but want more adjustment out of the damper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    After some thinking I'm probably going to get the 55 r off pink bike as it's cheep and he has the extra parts needed for an avy cart and then get the upgrade in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    "Paid" shameless spam/plug but I have a Lyrik 2 Step, 160mm to 115mm, 20mm axle that's been lightly ridden and is in fantastic condition up for sale on the classifieds here on mtbr. Has a 1 1/8 steer at 8 inches and includes a 2-step rebuild kit. The fork has maybe 150 miles on it and is currently paired with an El Guapo frame but willing to separate it. PM me if interested. Have a look at the ad, super clean fork with no marks on lowers or uppers.