Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    90

    Help choosing new bike, Ibis mojo vs yeti 575 vs other

    Hi.
    I want to get my first FS bike.
    I was looking at these models:
    Ibis mojo,
    yeti 575
    Iron Horse MKIII.

    I know the Iron Horse is on a different level, but it seems ok, dw-link, weight is ok.
    I dont care so much about the weight, but I want something that will handle small-medium jumps,
    but the bike must pedal well.

    Please give your opinions, or suggest other models.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boogenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    I would go woth the Mojo, those are nice bikes

  3. #3
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Here is a decent thread in the Ibis forum comparing the Mojo to the Yeti that might help you in your decision.

    08 Yeti 575 vs. 08 Ibis Mojo

    Ideally you really should just try to demo the bikes and pick one that feels best to you. A friend a work recently was faced with a similar choice and was leaning yeti until he rode one - the sizing and the feel of the yeti for him just didn't feel as good as the mojo, and mostly it was the sizing.

    I would say Mojo, but I am biased and ride a Mojo.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    237
    i agree that the Mojo is an excellent bike, as I ride one myself. It climbs better than any bike i've tried to date. However, I did rent a SC Blur LT2 for a quick day of riding when I was passing through Moab, and setup with a Fox Float 36, I really enjoyed it. It could have used the Talas 36, but other than that, It handled great, and the geo was similar to my Mojo (but with an obviously slacker HA). But as ZZSean said, ride as many as you can before you buy. I'd ride a Mojo, a SC Blur LT2, a new Turner Spot, an maybe even try the new Intense Tracer VP myself. Any on of those bikes (and many others) would make you a great ride, but in the end it will boil down to what you're most comfortable on.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    90
    I tried a demo mojo
    It was great, I really loved the ride,
    I just don't know if I was impressed by the mojo itself or the fact that I was riding a full suspension bike.
    this is why I think a lower priced bike like Iron horse MK III might fit my needs.
    It has the dw link suspension so I assume it is a good pedaler, but it's about half the price.
    but I haven't tried them yet

    I have seen many posts claiming the mojo is more XC then AM but then I don't know exactly what I need, will a good XC bike take small jumps? will it take 1 meter height jumps? I am pretty concerned about the carbon frame

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar
    I tried a demo mojo
    It was great, I really loved the ride,
    I just don't know if I was impressed by the mojo itself or the fact that I was riding a full suspension bike.
    this is why I think a lower priced bike like Iron horse MK III might fit my needs.
    It has the dw link suspension so I assume it is a good pedaler, but it's about half the price.
    but I haven't tried them yet

    I have seen many posts claiming the mojo is more XC then AM but then I don't know exactly what I need, will a good XC bike take small jumps? will it take 1 meter height jumps? I am pretty concerned about the carbon frame

    Thanks.
    Definitely try and find some different bikes to demo if this is your first serious move to full suspension as it could well be that it just feels good because of that. (I am pretty happy to bet that the Mojo will still win the "ride quality" demo test - but I am biased )

    The mojo is more XC if you only ride XC on it. I have owned my Mojo for just over two years and generally spend around 10-15 weekends a year in the Desert riding, I also ride it in super-D races and ride a huge variety of trails in the Colorado Rockies. I don't hit big drops on it because I am a girly-man like that, not because of the bike, I do regularly hit 2'-4' drops and hit them at speed and to flat. (I love riding Porcupine Rim and generally do it a handful of times every fall and spring).

    If you break the carbon frame I predict you have already broken yourself a few times on other crashes prior and you would certainly also be breaking a non-carbon frame in the same situation. I have crashed my bike more times than I care to admit and have shattered one helmet it the process - the frame still looks amazing.

    Buy the bike if you like how it's ride and if it fits your ride style, don't buy it if you will be afraid to push it due to fear of breaking the bike because of a fear of the material.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    owned lots of fs bikes

    Intense tracer old vsn
    Transition Preston
    Specialized SX
    Foes 2.1 fxr
    orange 5 and patriot

    demo'd even more

    I tend to alway have three bike, a HT an all mountain trail and a dh bike

    currently
    a cove stiffe
    a brooklyn machine works racelink
    and recently bought a mojo... love it

  8. #8
    inner peace to make peace
    Reputation: TrailNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    I tend to alway have three bike, a HT an all mountain trail and a dh bike...
    that what i want: 3 bikes...HT, AM FS, & DH.

    i'm leaning to buying remedy 9...
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    90
    I am just not sure how durable the ibis mojo is.
    Do you think the Iron horse will handle more abuse then it?

    When you say XC, what do you mean.
    where is the limit between XC and AM?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by adhumston
    I did rent a SC Blur LT2 for a quick day of riding when I was passing through Moab, and setup with a Fox Float 36, I really enjoyed it.
    Who rents LT2's in Moab?

    Thanks.

  11. #11
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding
    Who rents LT2's in Moab?

    Thanks.
    Try Chillie Pepper, they rented Santa Cruz when I was demoing bikes before I settled on my Mojo.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding
    Who rents LT2's in Moab?

    Thanks.
    Moab Cyclery. It may have actually been a demo model, as it cost a little more than the other rentals.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar
    I am just not sure how durable the ibis mojo is.
    Do you think the Iron horse will handle more abuse then it?

    When you say XC, what do you mean.
    where is the limit between XC and AM?
    As ZZ said, you'll break yourself before the Mojo. It will handle everything that the other bikes you've mentioned will. However, it is not a DH bike (unless you're Brian Lopes), so don't expect it, or any of the others for that matter, to take that type of abuse. But for the record, I've had my Mojo SL in Winter Park and Keystone with absolutely no problems, but I tend to ride relatively smooth.
    As for as the limit between AM and XC, ask 20 different guys, and you'll probably get 25 answers! For me personally, I'd consider it a bike that can pedal up the mountain, and bomb it back down. So I need a HA around 68-69 degrees, 140mm or more of travel, weight under 32 lbs (but still durable), and efficient pedaling. My Mojo with a Fox Talas 150 fits the bill for me perfectly, but might not for someone else....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56
    I have seen full carbon ht trek 9.8's do 1 meter drops onto flats all day long. The finese of the rider plays a big roll in what the bike can do. The AM will do things smoother than the XC bikes mainly because they will normally have more travel. This will help the fatiuge level of any rider that is not faced with climbing all day long, and help the rider keep control easier when things get hairy. Most of your XC bikes will not exceed 4" of travel and will be built with speed and pedeling efficiency in mind, but they are a hand full when the trail turns down hill and is filled with rocks and roots. Most AM bikes will be built to do all things well but they will not be as efficient as a XC bike uphill, but they will leave a normal rider on a XC bike setting still on those hairy downhills. Hope this will help you out. I ride a early 90's Ibis ripley XC steed but if I had to make your decision it would def. be the mojo.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    90
    Thank you very much for the replays.
    I will go check a few more bikes to see if the price justifies the mojo.
    but I am leaning to getting it.

    Thanks,
    Liran.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by adhumston
    Moab Cyclery. It may have actually been a demo model, as it cost a little more than the other rentals.
    More than $75/day? Ouch.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding
    More than $75/day? Ouch.
    It actually was $75 a day I believe. I think the other rental was $60 a day.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    155
    Here's a late entry. I ride a '08 Yeti 575. I was able to demo the 575 and the Ibis on the same trail this year. i end up with the 575 because of the way it fits and the way it handles. I have owned Intense 5.5, and Specialized SX, "06Titus Racer X. and '07 SC Superlight are my XC bikes.

    The 575 is one of the best "TRAIL" bike I have ever ridden.

    Just in case you are in San Jose. Ca, in Nov. 8 and 9.

    ]Dirt Demo, Santa Teresa County Park, November 8th & 9th.


    [intensedemo-1]I really love Santa Teresa as the trails are sweet, diverse and
    relatively short. That means more people get to ride more bikes, and we’re
    going to have a ton of bikes there by Specialized, Yeti, Intense, Ibis and
    Santa Cruz! This is a FREE event and we will have lots of food and drinks, so
    mark your calendar now for November 8th and 9th.

    Huge thanks to all who read this far down the page, and I hope to see you soon!

    Lars & the Trail Head Crew

  19. #19
    wyrd bið ful ãræd
    Reputation: chinaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,725
    do take a look at the nicolai AM ...

    20081030 nicolai AM MTBR FORUM.jpg

    http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-fr...helius-am.html

    of course they do come in a 'few' other colours

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Yeti 575, by a wide margin.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    162

    Mojo vs Yeti

    I too was faced with the exact same choice a few weeks ago. My entire process was further impeeded by the fact that I live in OKC, Ok. and nobody, and I mean nobody carries or will get what they consider an AM bike for you without you putting out the money up front. No demo's, no real choices, or should I say you are limited to Trek, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, and of course the mighty "S".
    Anyway, after tons, and tons of research, telephone calls, e-mails, I was able to narrow down the field to a Roscoe, Remedy 8, A Moto, Yeti 575, Titus ML, a Mount Vision, and A Jamis Dakar 2.0
    Through all of this the Ibis Mojo kept getting brought into the equation in spite of the fact that it appears to spec out more on the XC side.
    After much back and forth, and more research I kept on dropping various options until I was left with the Yeti 575, and the Mojo.
    Finially I ended up beefing up the Mojo with heavier wheels, Fox Talas 36 100 - 160 mm, and some Juicy 7's blah, blah, blah. And I am waiting on a package from Wrench Science even as we speak. In the end it was not even that difficult of a choice, I mean after I got the wife used to the fact that I was 1500.00 over budget.
    My last FS was my first it was a 2003 Trek Liquid 20, of course I replaced everything on it at one time or another and I hammered it all over the US for 5 years before the frame quit on me.
    This probably does not help that much but my research brought a bike that really was not being considered and made it the obvious choice.

    The Ibis Mojo

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by YZF571
    This probably does not help that much but my research brought a bike that really was not being considered and made it the obvious choice.

    The Ibis Mojo
    And what made it obvious?

    I had a chance to rent and demo both (575 with Al chainstay, and Ibis Mojo carbon). Yeti felt much stiffer, better suitable for 160/20mm fork, did not use a dubious fad material for parts exposed to sharp rocks, has a space for water bottle.

    P.S. I have ended up assembling a Kona Coiler from parts - as I wanted an even sturdier ride, spring shock...
    Last edited by Broccoli; 10-30-2008 at 09:55 PM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    There are plenty of people in the Ibis forum who love their bikes and will attest to it's durability.
    Just read the reviews:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn...7_1547crx.aspx

    As far as carbon being a "dubious fad material", If it's good enough for the fuselage of the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, It should be fine for the Ibis.
    http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787family/

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    As far as carbon being a "dubious fad material", If it's good enough for the fuselage of the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, It should be fine for the Ibis.
    http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787family/
    Next time a Dreamliner's fuselage comes in a proximity of sharp rocks, revisit your argument.

    Carbon is a dubious fad material. The whole point is that a manufacturer has a fatter margin. There are no real benefits, and every manufacturer warns about the dangers of hidden damage. Read the fine print.

    I have personally laid up some prototype bits for a carrier frame for a scientific instrument on a satellite, so it is not like I am completely clueless about the composites, though of course I am not a pro. But to the extend I can analyze it, so far I did not see a compelling argument for its use on a mountain bike. They sure look fine.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    I roe the 575 and the mojo. They are both awesome.

    The 575 is taller with a higher bb than the mojo. I had had plenty of tall bikes in the past and I fancied something lower. For my kind of riding, I can't run a triple ring, but I have it set up with a 36/24 and a bash.

    So if you ride rough and rocky trails and hate the idea of losing the big ring, go for the 575.
    If you like to rail turns, are happy to run a dual ring set up or ride some where smoother, then you'll love the Mojo

    As for carbon, the demo bike I received was two years old, had been on 6-7 magazine tests in the UK. Been to Dirt mag, came back thrashed so much that they had to replace the drive train and brakes...but the frame was tip top. Cable wear and thats all. I have seen aluminium demo bikes in worse condition after one season, let alone two.

    Carbon, fragile? Complete and utter ********.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    Carbon, fragile? Complete and utter ********.
    Good luck. You may need it.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    the yeti is a superb bike. ride them both and decide for yourself

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Next time a Dreamliner's fuselage comes in a proximity of sharp rocks, revisit your argument.

    Carbon is a dubious fad material. The whole point is that a manufacturer has a fatter margin. There are no real benefits, and every manufacturer warns about the dangers of hidden damage. Read the fine print.

    Let's see whom should we believe, someone who has no proof or research to support their baseless claim or hundreds of happy customers who have ridden their Mojo's relentlessly and have wrecked them many times with no major issues.
    Their can be stress fractures in Aluminum as well. Ever heard of metal fatigue??? What's wrong with you? Aluminum frames have and will continue to fail without warning when pushing hard...
    I just don't get your baseless hatred for carbon. You seam like a crazy sky is falling zealot who has provided no proof whatsoever. As far as the dreamliner's concerned, I am sure that a goose could do quite a bit of damage to a plane at 250mph. But no, no pebbles at 10000' going 10mph. But possibly hail @ 600mph.
    I'd say you are a bored troll from Pinkbike.
    Last edited by wormvine; 10-31-2008 at 10:02 PM.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Let's see whom should we believe, someone who has no proof or research to support their baseless claim or hundreds of happy customers who have ridden their Mojo's relentlessly and have wrecked them many times with no major issues.
    Their can be stress fractures in Aluminum as well. Ever heard of metal fatigue??? What's wrong with you? Aluminum frames have and will continue to fail without warning when pushing hard...
    I just don't get your baseless hatred for carbon. You seam like a crazy sky is falling zealot who has provided no proof whatsoever. As far as the dreamliner's concerned, I am sure that a goose could do quite a bit of damage to a plane at 250mph. But no, no pebbles at 10000' going 10mph. But possibly hail @ 600mph.
    I'd say you are a bored troll from Pinkbike.
    You are welcome to your opinion and to lightening up your wallet.

    The proof is in disclosures provided by manufacturers. Read them sometime. I am not going to experiment on my ass.

    I am not the only one having the doubts: http://airlineworld.wordpress.com/20...may-be-unsafe/ There is also a difference between resins, fibers and quality control used for airospace, and by small manufacturers. Do you want to get the frame that was laid up after a good party? I would not. Consistency of results depends too much on quality control.

    I do not ride lightweight aluminum either. Yes it fatigues and fails. For a light hardtail it is titanium all the way. Of course one can contaminate titanium welds as well.. Still a better bet.

    Do you work for Ibis? Or do you just spend a lot of money there?
    Last edited by Broccoli; 11-01-2008 at 03:15 AM.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    You are welcome to your opinion and to lightening up your wallet.

    The proof is in disclosures provided by manufacturers. Read them sometime. I am not going to experiment on my ass.

    I am not the only one having the doubts: http://airlineworld.wordpress.com/20...may-be-unsafe/ There is also a difference between resins, fibers and quality control used for airospace, and by small manufacturers. Do you want to get the frame that was laid up after a good party? I would not. Consistency of results depends too much on quality control.

    I do not ride lightweight aluminum either. Yes it fatigues and fails. For a light hardtail it is titanium all the way. Of course one can contaminate titanium welds as well.. Still a better bet.

    Do you work for Ibis? Or do you just spend a lot of money there?
    I don't own a Mojo nor do I work for Ibis. I don't even have a light bike. I ride a custom IH 6point8 with a coil fork and it weighs 38lbs. I enjoy burly. But I am not going to ignore the fact that there are 90 positive, sometimes glowing reviews of the Mojo here on MTBR. There has also been many threads discussing this very issue and once again many, many glowing reviews of the Mojo's durability. I have yet to see anyone mention a catastrophic front triangle frame failure. So my "opinion" is far from baseless. It is based on actual riders experience with the bike. I understand the caveats of carbon fiber. I understand how carbon fails. But the Mojo has proven itself so far. That's a fact.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    Rode a steep techy rocky trail today. Me on my Mojo, mate on a fairly new nomad, other mate on a Mk3.

    Nomad broke. No crash, no warning, just kinda fell apart. We were speechless, he was gutted. Important to remember, all frames break. Even Brooklyns sometimes.

    I windsurf. a lot, and all my booms are carbon. Its the alloy ones you have to watch out for. Alloy handle bars are supposed to be replaced evey 2-3 years... it was news to me, but came directly from the horses mouth so to speak.

    I'm sure I'll have a very good go at busting my Mojo, I'll let you all know if I'm succesful.

    But some of the arguments both pro s and cons on the se boards are I'll informed at best and completely ignorant at worst. Ride what you are happy with. Give advice when you have FIRST HAND experience of the particular products concerned otherwise, step away from the keyboard and ride yer bike instead

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •