mtbr member
    Jul 2007

HELP!! choosing a fork

I have a Fuel ex7 and want to upgrade my 100 mm REBA SL (excellent fork) with a longer travel one (140 to 150). My budget is around 500 bucks.

FOX (Talas R 2006 or Float 2007), Rockshox Revelation 2007 or marzocchi All mountain ???

I'm a heavy guy (200 lbs) that love the downhill but need a bike with a reasonable weight for the climb. So I'm looking for a fork you can control the travel for the up and use it all its long the downhill.

Any help welcome. Thanks

The guy with 5 kids
    You need to make sure that a longer travel fork will not void your warranty on your trek. 30-40 more mm of travel will change the geometry significantly where this may be an issue. I don't know about Marzocchi forks but have had great experiences on the higher end Rock Shox and Fox forks. I went from a cheap Manitou fork to a thru axle 140mm RockShox Pike 454 and it tracks and blows through almost anything. A longer and higher end fork will make you enjoy your downhill experience even more and raise your confidence level as well--

dave

mtbr member
    I agree with C n B about the warranty part.

If it's cool, I would say the Rev would be a good fit.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    I think the Fox Vanilla is the way to go. With 140mm and only 4.4lbs it feels so plush and so nice. Its will really give you the performance you are looking for in that price range. Good luck
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    The Rev has a cult following, and it's a good fork. I to put a longer travel fork on my bike, but it's a steel Kona so I knew it could handle it. Make sure you check on your warranty. I would go with one that has a travel adjustment feature(like the RS Revelation) so that you can lower it to what it should be. I went from 80 to 120mm so I would imagine you would be ok, and it changed to geo more to my liking.

PS don't go Manitou.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    I just bought a new Pike, cant wait for it to arrive. One thing you have to take into account is the hub. Getting a Pike you will need a 20mm hub. The Fox will work with the QR. Magura has some good forks this year too.

The guy with 5 kids
    I just read that shimano now has a 20mm thru axle hub in the XT class. I have the DT swiss 340s and am happy with them. It might be worth comparing these with the new XT thru axle hubs.

dave

respect the wildlife
    Quote Originally Posted by andesbiker
    I have a Fuel ex7 and want to upgrade my 100 mm REBA SL (excellent fork) with a longer travel one (140 to 150). My budget is around 500 bucks.

FOX (Talas R 2006 or Float 2007), Rockshox Revelation 2007 or marzocchi All mountain ???

I'm a heavy guy (200 lbs) that love the downhill but need a bike with a reasonable weight for the climb. So I'm looking for a fork you can control the travel for the up and use it all its long the downhill.

Any help welcome. Thanks
    A bike designed for 100mm of travel may not do so well if you raise the front end by 2 inches. Could be time for a new bike?