Roll on Spring Time!

help choose a new hardtail......please!

fellas, can youz help me with some hardtail choices. i have looked throught the "post your hardtail thread" and seen some stinking hot rigs. but based in the uk we havent got all the choices i seen, like the banshee (they still be lookin for a uk distributor).
    so far my list is:
    dmr trailstar lt - good reviews and great price. can do it all and is steel etc
    on one 456 - also great price and can take a pike but dont know if i can jump it
    mythic scirocco(same name as banshee????) - twice the price of the two above but can do it all
    stiffee and chameleon - obviously great bikes but getting real pricey
    are there any others i can look for that will take my pike coil u-turn and compliment my coiler. my coiler is obviously a pig and so i want to get back on a hardtail for those long rides but still do the smooth downhill/freeridey section on the way home. also i have been really enjoying the gap jumps/tables and drops to transitions. i dont want a full blown freeride hardtail cause that will limit my long ride comfort. i have elliminated the norcos cause although they are well priced and tough but i have read they are crucifixion on wheels. i like the sound of the dmr cause it has a little flex being made from steel and that will be a bit forgiving. well nuff said and tanks in advanced for any dirrection.

while we on the hardtail topic. i would appreciate any help with tyre choices. i love my 2.5 minion front and high roller rear on the coiler but holy crap does the rear tyre wear fast. i would like to run a 2.35 set with good volume to give a soft ride where neccessary and have the grip of the maxxis but with longer life span. the maxxis hook up so well i am constantly amazed but i havent even been using them for long distance riding yet so i would prefer something more durable for the hardtail. definately want fast rolling for the distance rides. i havent read great things about the rampages which were my next choice and i have been looking into the continentals-great price and pretty good revues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you don't want a bike as burly as the Chameleon or Stiffee have a look at the DMR Switchback. Pretty cheap and very well designed. A friend of mine even rocks the bikepark from time to time, and so far it holds up nicely. Personally I'd have chosen the Stiffe over my Chameleon (just for the cosemtics, tho) if it wasn't so pricey. The Chameleon is amazing and has really motivated me to boost my skills. The frame is so burly everything else breaks but frame

Edit: The new(ish) Transition Vagrant also seems to be a very capable and sexy hardtail. The price is pretty attractive, at least here in Austria!

As for the tires, do you run the super tacky Maxxis? 'cos the regular 60a ones hold up nicely in my experience! Durable light tires with low rolling resistance with the grip of Maxxis DH tires don't exist I'm afraid I'd stay clear of the Continental 'cos they plain s*ck in my opinion. The 2.5 Maxxis Minion and Highroller are now available in single-ply, which means that they are much lighter (~850 grams), at the cost of weaker sidewalls (compared to DH tires). I use these now and I'm absolutely impressed. No torn up sidewall so far. Apart from Maxxis you might have a look at the WTB range, the Weirwolf is also an amazing tire with good rolling resistance and grip!

Still a child inside...

Yeah, Sciroccos are sweet...Also check out the Yakuza hardtails.
    I ride a Norco Sasquatch (bought it after i test rode an '07 Coiler).
    It rocks and capable of all...

Roll on Spring Time!
    how stiff are the chameleon, norcos and iron horse. i want burly so i can feel cofident it wont break. i need to be able to jump it for the fun of it, not verts or tricks but gaps, tables and play on the 4x. and if pos i want a little give so i dont hammer my knees. the norcos can handle but are supposed to be like tanks. i havent researched the yakuzas and i thought the sidekick was more jump and the trailstar more all round.
    i love the transitions and dream of the preston but i thought the vagrant was low slung.
    i forgot to mention i am 6'2" so need a little room.
    i am running the maxxis 2.5 singles and had my first snake bite the other day - hard lading on front wheel with low psi. so they are great. i was considering the 2.35 2-ply. same weight just a little narrower and 2-ply rugged
    thanks for the feedback and i will keep looking - super stoked

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The Chameleon is super stiff, I can vouch for that. I'm 6'3" myself and I ride an XL frame. There is no give at all so I run a Maxxis Advantage 2.4 rear, which is really cushy. I have no personal experience with capable steel ht frames, I only know that my 90's steel frames were all super weak so I switched to aluminium ones

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i'm 6'3" and geometry on a large Transition Vagrant is spot on for me

sure, it's low slung... which makes it killer for jumping, tricking, railing corners and berms, but it still has plenty of post extension for some pedaling action if that's your thing.

I used to own a Chameleon, and sold it to build up a Vagrant.. best decision i ever made! I can honestly say that the Vagrant is by far the funnest bike i've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just got the IH Yakuzo Bakuto and it is a beast, the tubing is oversized and feels really stiff. I am 6'2'' and I am riding a large, you may be able to get away with a medium if you want it more for dirt jumping than longer rides. I am really impressed with it so far and look forward to many rides on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Haro Escape? I got one and it is strong as hell. The parts aren't spectacular though. The highest one comes with a tora, and the rest come with a marzocchi mz OEM fork. Buf the frame is killer. Overbuilt with the strongest alunimum. If you can upgrade in time, it can really be a great hardtail.

Me hates pinchflat
    I agree, an Ironhorse Yakuza is a good (and cheap) option. Heres mine after some upgrading (Hone cranks not pictured). I use it for DH, 4x, jumping and I also climb a ton with it

Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what do you guys think about the Specialized Hardrock ? I have a friend who bought it but she seldom uses it because she's a Road biker. Is it worth upgrading the parts ?

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by nismosr
    what do you guys think about the Specialized Hardrock ? I have a friend who bought it but she seldom uses it because she's a Road biker. Is it worth upgrading the parts ?
    Well, the hardrock is more of an agressive xc bike. It will take some abuse, but not that much. Besides, it could not take a very big fork...
    "jesus would huck it"
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    when you say big fork .. that means 100-130mm travel ?

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by nismosr
    when you say big fork .. that means 100-130mm travel ?
    nah, more like 150mm or plus
    "jesus would huck it"

from 20's to 26's
    May 2007
    marin rocky ridge
    -Shane-

"Those who love you are watching, and they expect greatness"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Your in the UK and did not mention the two bikes that I would like to have, but alas no dealers in the US. Take a look at the Cotic Soul, Cotic BFe and Dialled Bikes Prince Albert. I am in love with the Cotic BFe.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    mythic scirocco(same name as banshee????)
    In UK, Banshee is Mythic. Somebody else was already using the name Banshee.

The Scirocco is a good frame if you like it reasonably strong and stiff. Mine is the older model with straight seat stays: about as flexy as a brick. At least in theory, the new ones with curved stays could give some damping, but I think a fat tyre helps more.

Lots of people seem to love the British steel bikes from Cotic, Dialled Bikes, etc.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Lots of people seem to love the British steel bikes from Cotic, Dialled Bikes, etc.
    Cotic and On-One (and, I assume, Dialled Bikes) are designed in the UK and made in Taiwan. You probably know that, but just so everyone else is clear.

Now, for real British steel, look here (and bring a fat wallet).

Roll on Spring Time!
    those curtis bikes look lush. looks like i am going to have to get a sloid brick no matter what i choose. i am glad the banshee/mythic question is cleared up cause i liked the banshee as soon as i saw it. well i got a great list now so i be shoppin around now to see what i can find. i have started to take notes on the geos of the various bikes so i can see where i fit in.
    thanks for the help all o ya.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Cotic and On-One (and, I assume, Dialled Bikes) are designed in the UK and made in Taiwan.
    That seems to be true with just about every good frame with a reasonable price tag. I have three bikes and all frames are welded in Taiwan: Specialized, Banshee, Yeti.

Curtis is a custom shop and, as such, the prices are competitive. I do not recall any negative comments about their frames.

mtbr member
    I'm riding a Voodoo Bakka 2006, Its a wonderful long travel HT steel bike that can do everything from XC to FR. I dont think its that expensive.

Put something exciting between your legs. Ride a mountain bike.