Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help on chainring size

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  svalgis 
#1 ·
I have a 3x9 setup which has a 22/32/44, and I took out the large ring for a bash guard. My question is can I change me middle ring for a 36 so it will be 22/36, will the shifter be able to shift properly and what else do I need to do beside adjusting the derailleur high limit?
Thanks!

#2 ·
1. You need to make sure that your bash is compatible with the 36t ring.
2. You need to make sure that the crank is as well. Usually it is, but a 4t jump is a little big.
3. You need to make sure you have enough clearance to elevate derailleur. You may need to get a top swing.
4. You need to get a larger small ring also. You will probably not be able to use a 22t with a 36t.
5. Make sure shifter is two ring compatible.

#3 ·
Mine derailleur is a Shimano Deore XT, and mine bike is a trek remedy. And I have a SRAM xo shifter. It is a 3 speed, but I don't think that matters as I just don't shift it into the higher gear. My question really is will the derailleur shift from a 22 to a 36?
Am I better off getting a 34 instead?

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. Shiggy is right. The front derailleur can be mix and match. I do have an xo in the rear.
I will give it a try.
Anything I should be aware when shopping for the 36t ring? I was looking at the race face or straitline one. Are they compatible?

#11 ·
it probably best to keep both rings the same make, i had a xt 3x9 set up and now run 36 and 26 with bash using xt rings works perfect.
Just make sure you line the small tabs up otherwise the shifting is crap.
i didnt do this on my old rings and struggled with shifting for a very long time
As for using a double front dérailleur a triple is fine just adjust the stop screw.

Hope this helps

#16 ·
If you want to go to a 36t then I would suggest going to a 24t small ring. That is the combo I went for on a 2x9. I was running a 3 ring Truvaiv Noir crank set, E13 DRS chain guide and bash, SLX front der. and a SRAM XO front shifter. I did use shifting specific rings not single rings to enhance the shifting. It worked great!

#20 ·
Shiggy's right. It's not an issue. I remember looking at front derailleurs when I put on the 36t, and I think the Shimano SLX was the only one rated for the 14 tooth difference. That is probably different now, and it might not have been an issue then, either. I just went with the SLX to make sure it would work.

#21 ·
#23 ·
If I'm running a 2x10 setup with a 12-36 cassette, would I be better off going with a 22/36 or 24/38? Going to try out the new e13 TRS cranksets. Will be riding mainly in British Columbia around the Shore, Squamish, etc. I'm a DH rider but am converting over to an AM bike. Time to get back into better shape and stop relying on shuttles!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.