mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Help! Cannot decide bet 5.10 impact2 vs 5.10 free ride vxi & bet Canfield vs HT

First time going to flat because I have been doing bigger jumps and drop offs. I want to be able to bail out faster. I still want to be able to maintain some decent climbing. The impact 2 is heavier but has stiffer bottom and the freeride vxi is lighter but has a little more flex at the bottom. Also the Canfield ultimate and some of the HT flat pedals, which of these two will give better climbing. I am already a slow climber. I just don't want those guys that I am riding with wait for me too long at the top of the trails. Help!

Stand back
    I like my Canfield crampons better than the other high end thin flat pedals I've owned - Point1 Podiums and Twenty6 Prerunners. I'd like to try the new ultimates.

If you're doing much for long rides, the stiffer sole of the impact 2 is probably going to be beneficial to keep your feet from fatiguing. I never really got used to the lack of pedal feel they give though. I like thinner shoes so I know where the pedal is underfoot. The Teva Pinner is a nice compromise between the stiffness of the freeride and impact, but I think it's softened up some with (a ton of) use. They still don't show much for wear on the bottom, but don't grip quite as tenaciously as the 5.10, which can be a good thing if you want to move your foot around on the pedal.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan on the Crampon Ultimates. I just ordered a pair of the Magnesiums for my new bike too.

mtbr member
    I went with Impacts a couple years ago and wish I would have got the freerides. The impacts' sole is just so stiff I can't feel the pedal and I find myself having to look down to check my foot placement. Maybe fatigue would be an issue with the freerides for long rides, but if I was doing it again I'd go freerides for sure!

Flyin Pig
    I've heard it mentioned that the VXI is pretty good - but the problem is - if you have to do any hiking with the shoe - the lack of tread under the ball of your foot - could make it difficult.

I've been using an older version of the camp4 Five Ten | Camp Four - Dark Shadow

My wife uses the impact2 for DH - but feels it is too clunky/stiff for normal trail riding. She also uses some version of the camp4 too - for regular trail.

With the other comments the freerides may be the way to go if you don't do a lot of hike a bike.

I have put crampons on all my bikes. I have some older crampons on my DH bike with exposed spindles. I don't recommend those unless cost is an issue (plus you'll have to find them used) The crampon ultimates have been working great with the 5.10 rubber. I am a heavy dude ~250 lbs at my heaviest - and have had no problems with the crampons - even with drops/jumps/cases. Don't know about the HT - but they do seem thicker. Really - the thinness of the crampon is hard to describe or capture. They are unbelievably thin. You can also swap out the pins to long pins if you want to be ultra-sticky - but even with the normal length pins - I have had no problems sticking to the pedal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Five Ten Impact VXi - First Look - Pinkbike

New Impact VXi has been announced. Available March 2014.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I really like my Impacts, but have to say it looks like 5-10 is continuing the tradition of making the ugliest shoes possible. If they didn't perform they couldn't give those things away. At least mine are all black.

I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    Seriously. Ironically the kids version is the adult looking shoe. Of course I can't find the pictures now.

human dehumidifier
    I think this is the kid's shoe

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's the one! That I would wear, well in an adult size anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Supposedly, there is another color way. Hopefully it will look better.

human dehumidifier
    Just for the lols
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    Yeah, that's the one! That I would wear, well in an adult size anyway.

That's the truth... maybe they will make these for kids with huge kids feet?

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
    You can also swap out the pins to long pins if you want to be ultra-sticky - but even with the normal length pins - I have had no problems sticking to the pedal.
    That's a good reminder - I need to screw my normal length pins into my old school crampons a bit. Last time a slipped a pedal I probably shoulda gotten stitches... (note that it occurred while wearing Teva Pinners, not the Impacts)
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you so much for all the helpful replies! I went to my lbs and they were nice enough to let me tried the pedals out with the shoes on two bikes. I went away with the decision on HT aeo2 pedals and the free ride vxi. The HT pedals seems to grab my shoes better on the upstroke and also gave me better feeling. The little flexing free ride vxi has help with grabbing the pedal on the upstroke. Lets see how it will behave on the trails!

mtbr member
    Not only are they the ugliest looking 510 shoes ever but they are also now $180!!!!! Thanks Addidas for ruining IMO the best flat pedal shoe on the market!

mtbr member
    I just ordered Impact 2's for $75 new. Did a lot of reading and these shoes sound like they go the distance in durability, wear and grip. To me , thats more important then the weight and how hot they get ( reviews I've read online).