mtbr member
    Dec 2013

help in buying a new bike

I am willing to spend around $4000 for a new bike that. I will build it up through my local bike shop so the components won't be an issue. The frame to choose is though. My main competitors are the Knolly Chilcotin, Evil Uprising, stumpy evo, Spec enduro, and Giant reign X. What are your guys thoughts on These bikes. I want a bike that climbs well, but can absolutely destroy on the downhill. One of my favorite things to do is to destroy berms, so it has to corner very well. Thanks

mtbr member
    Bronson ftw
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    If you want to destroy berms, I wouldn't get a 29er unless you get incredibly stiff wheels like Enves. Regular strength wheels tend to flex a lot on 29ers, leading to tires rubbing on rear triangles or loosening of spokes. Had two friends need to upgrade after getting wear spots, and both went all the way up the ranks until getting Enve wheels before the problem was solved. One of them switched this year to a pivot Mach 6 with regular, good alloy wheels and zero issues, so he hasn't upgraded like he had to with the wagon wheeler. I've heard good things about the Uprising, but there are a few very long threads detailing some issues with certain components. If you can afford it, get the new Nomad. If not, get the Bronson in carbon or aluminum. Or possibly the intense tracer 275.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Based on the bikes listed it looks like you want to stick to 26" wheels, is that right? That's kind of important to know when giving suggestions. Check this thread for Uprising info: Evil Uprising - review. That and the Knolly would be highest on my list, FWIW