mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Hello MTBR! Help a rider pick out the Perfect bike on a budget!

Hi, My name is Nate and I am relatively new to the MTB world. I have been riding single track for a little over a year now and I want something a little more. So this upcoming christmas season I need to find a full suspension bike able to handle some decent jumps, not total bombing downhill though. The budget is hard though with only around twelve hundred. Any suggestions are welcome, post links if you can. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Have some spam!

It's a fantastic bike, if it fits you:

2006 Iron Horse MKIII Hollowpoint Expert 17? - Pinkbike

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Look for something 2007 or newer, 2009-2011 model bikes would probably end up being your best bet. I suggest 5.5" (140mm) to 6.3" (160mm) of travel. Avoid something with 2009 Marzocchi suspension forks (That year was notorious for issues, especially with the 55 series forks). Look for mid-level drivetrain components, sram x7, maybe x9, shimano deore, SLX, maybe an XT bit if you are lucky. Don't worry about the brand of the bike, something made from carbon fiber is probably not going to be the best idea.

Common models to find would be a Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro or Pitch, Giant Reign. Less common bikes would be something like a Stanta Cruz Heckler (which would be one of my more recommended bikes. Single pivot suspension works damn well, very easy to service, very little to wear out), Cannondale Prophet's are also somewhat common, and again, simple and durable as all hell. If you live up in or near Canada, you'll likely find a lot more Rocky Mountain Slayers or Altitudes and Norco Sights, Ranges, Fluids, or Six.

Hunt around your craigslist first, it'll be local to you and you'll not have to worry about shipping. See if any shops nearby sell used bikes, or have unsold bikes from year's past. Shop support plus test riding is always nice. Then start looking at sites like pinkbike. Good luck!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400