Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

heckler vs nomad

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  slimat99 
#1 ·
I realize that the vpp design is all the new tech, but does santa cruz still make the heckler for the old single pivot lovers? I had been riding a bullit for years but the ride was overkill for my current trail riding stuff so I switched to the heckler. Now I am wondering if I should have gone with a nomad. It seems all the d/s bikes i have owned have been some type of single pivot or modified single pivots. What would the nomad do for me that the heckler wont?

#2 ·
I realize that the vpp design is all the new tech, but does santa cruz still make the heckler for the old single pivot lovers? Yes the heckler is still made. Have you checked out the butcher? I had been riding a bullit for years but the ride was overkill for my current trail riding stuff so I switched to the heckler. Now I am wondering if I should have gone with a nomad. It seems all the d/s bikes i have owned have been some type of single pivot or modified single pivots. What would the nomad do for me that the heckler wont?It will pedal better due to the dual pivot, plus you can get carbon!

#4 ·
Don't get hung up on vpp vs single piv, there's more important things that separate those frames. I owned an 08 heckler and now own a 2010 nomad. The Nomad has deeper linear travel, slacker head angle, and will accept a 180 fork. If the heckler had the same geo and build options I never would have sold it for a nomad. VPP does feel better, but I don't mind single piv. It's simple and solid. If you never plan on running a fork longer than 160, don't care about the extra 10mm travel, and prefer a steeper head angle, save some cash and buy a heckler. VPP and carbon option aside, I would still go nomad over the other two but that's because I run a 180 fork and love slack geo. My nomad's@ 65.5 HA compared to my heck with a 160 @ 67.5ish. It absolutely schools my old heckler and the build was the same other than the fork. THe Nomad feels stiffer too thanks to multiple anchor points to the front triangle compared to the heckler's one. I would think the butcher would feel just as stiff as the nomad but I have no experience. It must be stiffer than the heckler thanks to the upper link.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.