Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    you totally caught me. brilliant detective work. also, you say several, as in more than two. can you inform me of my other names as i seem to have forgotten.
    Oh why did you change your post? It was much better when we had the same reply.
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon - Specialized Demo 8 II
    YKYMF - YouTube Channel - AM/DH Vids

usually cranky
    hahaha i know. i was just curious if he had figured out any more of my alises. ash is slowly unraveling my plan to take over the am forum!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    And the REAL point is that such categorization is MARKETING.
    Why is marketing such a bad word? In any case, what we're really talking about here specifically is positioning.

It's not like its a unique phenomenon to bikes - look at cars, we've got four-door sports cars, sport crossovers, upscale midsize sedans, etc. On that subject, people should shop for bikes like they shop for cars; read reviews, take test drives, see what fits their budget, look for what fits their needs, etc.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    So what does an "All Mountain" TRAIL look like? How many riding areas have "All Mountain" trails?

Are they "All Mountain" trails ONLY if they are designated as such?

Who gets to do the designation?

And why didn't Richard Cunningham's "Black Diamond" handle take off and replace FR/DH?
    There are no "All Mountain" trails (if you read what I wrote in this thread, I would not be explaining this again, this is the last time I will do so). AM describes a type of bike, not a type of terrain. It happens to be a type of bike that was designed with a certain terrain and type of riding in mind (long climbs, technical decents), but it is not a type of terrain, it is a term to describe a type of product. Using the term as both bike and terrain descriptor is where the confusion comes in and where some people start to get their panties in a wad.

I do not believe ANYONE has suggested that other types of bike can not be used for such riding. YOU are projecting that onto others yourself, in fact you are arguing with a point that nobody has made. Certainly me or b-kul have not made it.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    And the REAL point is that such categorization is MARKETING.
    What is the problem with that?

Same with "tissue" vs "toilet paper". You can wipe you ass with a tissue and blow your nose in toilet paper, but I am willing to bet you find the terms useful. In fact, even if you prefer to do both with the same product, you are still going to find the terms useful when you look for whichever you want.

Part of marketing is simply communicating what you are selling, or differentiating your line. If I go looking to replace my MKIII with a similar bike, the terms will help me in navigating the different options. Instead of looking at the full specs of every frame from each company, I will start by looking at the "trail" offering they have. Saves a lot of time. after that I might look at there AM or XC frames if the Trail frame seems too light duty or heavy duty.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    **troll Alert**

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Ive seen your posts before your 20 college kid right?Taking over the am forum hope your joking that would make it seem like you have no life other than this forum.I have a better idea if you spent this much time on the girls at your college well wouldnt that be a little more self pleasuring?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    wow-reading this I feel like I am in the downhill/freeride forum

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've owned a 2006 Heckler. Very nice AM bike. 69 degrees is perfect for an all purpose bike. Just put a 2.5" tire on front and the rugged downhills will not leave brown stains on your shorts.

T.W.O
    You seem to know a lot about brown stains being in your shorts, eh beck?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3