mtbr member
    Jul 2006

heckler sizing/ shock choice

I am thinking of buying a sc heckler. i have ridden hard tails till now and think this would be a sweet bike to upgrade to. i want a 6" bike for xc/am and this seems to be one of the best. not sure on sizing thought. i am 5.9.5 180lbs. cant decide between M and L frame. both feel good to test ride, and the sc sizing puts me on the cusp of both sizes. i plan to do wide array of am riding on it. if anyone is a similar size and has any beta on which size, or anyone has any beta in general on this one it would be much appreciated. i am trending towards a large frame and make up for any fine tuning by shortening the stem.
    Also not sure if i want to get the air or coil rear shock, any tips from those of you that know??
    thanks
    Jeff

Slowest Rider

Depends on your needs.

The larger frame will provide more stability. The smaller frame will be more nimble and more maneuverable on switchbacks. Your choice.

Try to find a bike shop with some built up that you can test ride. You may need to call a lot of shops for the Santa Cruz line to find some with stock.

I'm 6' even and between the L and XL on the Heckler. With my long arms and legs (for my height), and after getting thrown almost every ride on my Fuel, I went with the XL for more stability. Haven't regretted it. But I have a short 90 mm stem to compensate.

I love my DHX 5.0 Coil, but never tried the Air. I saw several air shocks with blown seals and was suspicious of them for that reason, especially at my large size (well over 200 lbs).
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro2215
    I am thinking of buying a sc heckler. i have ridden hard tails till now and think this would be a sweet bike to upgrade to. i want a 6" bike for xc/am and this seems to be one of the best. not sure on sizing thought. i am 5.9.5 180lbs. cant decide between M and L frame. both feel good to test ride, and the sc sizing puts me on the cusp of both sizes. i plan to do wide array of am riding on it. if anyone is a similar size and has any beta on which size, or anyone has any beta in general on this one it would be much appreciated. i am trending towards a large frame and make up for any fine tuning by shortening the stem.
    Also not sure if i want to get the air or coil rear shock, any tips from those of you that know??
    thanks
    Jeff
    I am just barely 5'10" and I rode a large Heckler for two years. It felt perfect. Hecklers are a little short in the top tube, so you don't need to downsize to achieve a nimble or huckable feel.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

at almost 5.10 i'd get a medium

go the heckler, wise choice my son.

i'm dead-on 6 foot, weigh about 210, and have a large with a 75mm shorty headstem. absolutely fits like a glove. awesome, do-it-all pushy, i'd have none other. i grew up riding cruisers, so i prefer to sit fairly upright. maybe i'm just getting old, but i reckon it's better for epic rides where you can look around and shoot the sh!t with your mates.

i remember riding my stumpy years ago on xc rides. i guess it was ok then, but now i hate being all splayed-out, having to crane my neck up to see the trail ahead. it's like the difference between a harley and a jap superbike. superbike goes faster but you're all hunched over 'locked-in', impossible to tour on. sitting upright on a harley is so much more comfortable generally and made for touring. i dunno, maybe someone'll dis me for this analogy, but i reckon it's quite relevent.

cheers
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

nah, get a large

haha, i f*cked up man. not that i didn't mean what i just said. wasn't really thinking our respective height difference, which is negligable.

yeah, get a large.

it's....
    I wouldn't pick Harleys (or any cruiser copies) to compare with any mtbs.
    Unless you have a fairing, sitting bolt upright at steady 75 mph is very tiring.
    Sportbikes would be more comfortable for that. (BTW, sportbikes come from other countries too, so drop the jap reference).

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    haha smart ass

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm 5'10" and I actually ride a medium. I just like how it feels better than the large. Mine came with a float RP3 shock and it was nice, but I recently swapped to a DHX 5.0 and it feels way more plush to me.