mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Heckler plus dual crown fork- 888

A question to those knowledgable on the SC Heckler and or dual crown v singlecrown forks,

I have a SC Heckler with a light frreride build whatever the hell that is.

It has a Manitou Sherman Firefly single crown fork at the moment and it is doing well but I am contemplating putting an 888 fork on the bike.
    The riding I'm doing is pretty hardcore in my limited opinion.
    The guys I ride with here in S.Korea are on Spesh Demo and other strong bikes. Some hartail but all double crown.

Do you think it is worth it to replace the M. Firefly fork with an 888?
    Can the Heckler take the punishment of very fast steep, and sometimes very technical rock gardens?

Oh yeah and how much would you pay for a very good condition 2003/2004 5th element coil rear shock? And a 2004 Marazocchi 888?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Steve

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    It looks like the largest they'll sell it with is a 6" fork. Longer than that would maybe screw with the handling on it, since it isn't intended as a full on DH bike. Their two largest fork options are both 150mm. Not sure what they'll warrantee it up to. If that doesn't matter to you, slap on as big a fork as you want.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

What about an 06 Boxxer Ride? Adjustable travel from 5"-7" ? Steepen it for the climbs, slacken it out and have the longer travle the rest of the time? I've got one on my 7" bike and love it!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSKorea
    A question to those knowledgable on the SC Heckler and or dual crown v singlecrown forks,

I have a SC Heckler with a light frreride build whatever the hell that is.

It has a Manitou Sherman Firefly single crown fork at the moment and it is doing well but I am contemplating putting an 888 fork on the bike.
    The riding I'm doing is pretty hardcore in my limited opinion.
    The guys I ride with here in S.Korea are on Spesh Demo and other strong bikes. Some hartail but all double crown.

Do you think it is worth it to replace the M. Firefly fork with an 888?
    Can the Heckler take the punishment of very fast steep, and sometimes very technical rock gardens?

Oh yeah and how much would you pay for a very good condition 2003/2004 5th element coil rear shock? And a 2004 Marazocchi 888?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Steve
    If I were contemplating an 888, then I would also be looking at a different frame. The Heckler is a very strong frame for 8 lbs, but it is not a full on DH/FR frame. I think with an 888 on a Heckler you would be limited in the AM catagory with the fork and the DH/FR category by the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Scrublover is right a Boxxer ride would be a way better choice. The 888 is a very tall fork the HA on the Heckler would be waayyyyy slack, I don't think you would like it.

mtbr member
    153mm is maximum travel supported by Santa Cruz. Stay with single crown.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the advice, I've scrapped the 888 idea, didnt realise it was so big.
    I'll stick with the Sherman.

banned
    Steve,

A Heckler/Firefly is a nice combination. Ride more and hone your skills. As you ride more and skills improve. You'll know when an 888 or similar frontend is needed.

rollin
    get a marzocchi 66, it will ride like the 888, but it's a single crown.