mtbr member

Heavy AM/Light FR Wheelset

Hey everyone. I am looking for a fairly lightweight wheelset that is tubeless in one way or another (UST, Stans BST..etc). Weight is not the most important thing for me, but I don't want to be lugging around a 2200g DH wheelset. I currently am riding a 2009 Heckler that has been upgraded to a Lyrik U-Turn fork and DHX 5.0 Coil rear shock.

I am currently running a Mavic 321 rim on the back with a shimano Deore XT hub and a DT Swiss FR 6.1D front rim with a Marzocchi QR15 Hub. I am currently running a 2.5" WTB Dissent tire, but have found that it is too round for my liking. I want something that has more aggressive knobs and a more squared off feel. I will be buying something with a stiffer sidewall as well. I like running wide tires, but will run something as skinny as 2.3" if it is knoby.

I was going to convert those wheels to tubeless, but both of the hubs have started having issues and I know they aren't the best wheels to start with anyway.

I have been looking at buying either the:

http://www.sun-ringle.com/mtb/wheelsets/charger-pro/

or these:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...78.-type-.html

or these:

http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/m...eels/haven-528

Haven has an internal rim width of 21mm.
    Charger Pro has an internal rim width of 22.6mm
    Deore XT has internal rim width of 21mm.

I could get the Charger Pro the cheapest. The Deore XT is just a few bucks more. Haven is a couple hundred dollars more.

Haven is 1650 grams
    Charger Pro is 1699 grams
    Deore XT is about 2040 grams

Deore and Haven are both UST. Charger Pro is Stans BST.

Haven is 24 spoke count
    Charger Pro is 24 spoke count
    XT is 24 spoke count

I really need a wheel that is going to hold up to abuse without weighing a ton so if you have more options that what I have mentioned here I would gladly accept them. I am on somewhat of a budget so I can't go all out. I ride about 20% XC, 40% A/M, 30% FR, and 10% DH on this bike. My most aggressive riding is really only hitting like 6-8 foot jumps, 4-6 foot drops, lots of high speed and very technical downhill. I am in Utah though, so you have to take that with a grain of salt as our DH isn't super aggressive.

Does anyone have personal experience with any or all of these wheelsets? I have found reviews for them individually online but hope that someone here has used more than one set and can make some more in depth recommendations.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I just put the Charger Pro wheels on me and my girlfriends Endorphins and I am pretty impressed.

They have a deeper, stronger profile than Flow rims, but the same bead, and they have eyelets unlike flows. They are tensioned much higher which you can't do to Flows or they can crack because they do not have eyelets. The Charger Pro's also use straight pull spokes.

Mine came with yellow tape installed, tubeless valve stems, and 2 bottles of sealant. Not to mention they came with all adapters for 9mm QR, and 15mm and 20mm through axles.

They are light and stiff, and a total breeze to set up tubeless

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The best rims I have ever used have been mavic 721's. You can pick up then rims dirt cheap now since they have been out for years. I have a set from 2004 and 2006. Both were laced to xt hubs. 3 out of 4 wheels have never been trued with 4 whistler trips, plenty of am and north shore. Some people complain that the eyelets split but that is from spokes laced to tight. Check out the reviews, they don't look like much but they will last you years and years trouble free.

MattSavage
    +1 on the Charger. Sun Ringle products have always been awesome. Plus as the other guy said, they come with all the adapters and are set up tubeless ready. I have Chargers on my Nitrous and they're pretty stout. Lightweight, yet they've held up very well to 3 week long trips to Whistler.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Lightweight, yet they've held up very well to 3 week long trips to Whistler.
    Good to know. I'm running these on my Snyper. If they hold up in Whistler they should hold up for what I'm using them for. How much do you weigh though if you don't mind me asking. My primary concern is the rear hub. Supposedly Sun Ringle had some reliability issues with their hubs in the past. That's what I keep hearing anyway. Those are supposed to be all worked out now though and the hubs do seem very smooth. I guess only time will tell. They seem like great wheels for the money. I really like mine so far. Thanks.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Good to know. I'm running these on my Snyper. If they hold up in Whistler they should hold up for what I'm using them for. How much do you weigh though if you don't mind me asking. My primary concern is the rear hub. Supposedly Sun Ringle had some reliability issues with their hubs in the past. That's what I keep hearing anyway. Those are supposed to be all worked out now though and the hubs do seem very smooth. I guess only time will tell. They seem like great wheels for the money. I really like mine so far. Thanks.
    I'm 200+ in gear... Kind of a fatty.

I plan on picking up a set of the Black Flags for my Remedy. I prefer to run my tires/wheels light and on the more narrow side than most. I'm confident those will hold up on my AM bike as well. Can't be any worse than the noodly, weak Bontrager Rythyms that came on it.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Take Chances
    Do not use the Havens as they are strictly for cross country.

721's are a great hoop for just about everything.

Have you thought about the Mavic Crossmax SX?
    Cadmanrjm

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    I wouldn't worry too much about ringle hubs. I've heard about some probs with them too but that was way back. I'm still running a ringle rear that's going on it's seventh season, replaced the cartridge bearings a few months ago and the thing feels like new. I've always been one to wait to replace parts until there dead and as much as I want to get those new I9's this bastard just wont die!

usually cranky
    charger, the wider id will give you more of a squared tire profile you want.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just mounted up a set of charger pro wheels for my enduro. Trail King 2.4 front/2.2 rear non-UST tires set up tubless with the included Stan's kit. Will post a ride review as soon as I get a couple of rides under them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have both the mavic 721's and the crossmax SX. I really like the crossmax sx, kind of like a mini version of my deemax only I think the crossmax's are stiffer but if you are hard on wheels I would go 721's. They take any hub/spoke/nipple combo you want to run and are pretty light with a decent hub.

My trail bike has crossmax's with a schwalbe muddy mary 2.3 ust (love these tires, bigger than my minnion dhf 2.5)

I've heard really good things about the XT wheelsets aswell

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Might want to check your spoke tension on the deemax if your crossmax are feeling stiffer.

mtbr member
    Serious lack of bling factor, but you might consider these:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1545500_400933

I put a set on my On One Summer Season a few weeks back and have been impressed. 1938 grams, easily converted to tubeless, comes with all parts to run any axle type.

Here is a detailed review done on a local forum. If you compare the innards of the hubs to the other wheelsets you are considering they are just as if not more robustly built.

http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22873.0

Just do not have the same bling as the other names :-) I swtiched from XT hubs and find these to be far quicker rolling, based on my seat of the pants analysis.

Best of luck. It was a good upgrade for me. Between these rims and lighter tires I lost about 1.5# of rolling weight and I can feel a difference on the trail.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet
    Serious lack of bling factor, but you might consider these:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1545500_400933

I put a set on my On One Summer Season a few weeks back and have been impressed. 1938 grams, easily converted to tubeless, comes with all parts to run any axle type.

Here is a detailed review done on a local forum. If you compare the innards of the hubs to the other wheelsets you are considering they are just as if not more robustly built.

http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22873.0

Just do not have the same bling as the other names :-) I swtiched from XT hubs and find these to be far quicker rolling, based on my seat of the pants analysis.

Best of luck. It was a good upgrade for me. Between these rims and lighter tires I lost about 1.5# of rolling weight and I can feel a difference on the trail.

John
    Those do look like some serious bang for the buck.

Not as easy to set up tubless, but I have ran ghetto tubeless extensively with great results, so those look great for a good value choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I wouldnt really call any of those wheels heavy AM or light FR wheels, personally. I guess it depends on your weight and riding style.

what about Mavic EX823 laces to Hope Pro2? not too sure of the weight, but Im guessing right around 2000g. Probably cheaper than the other options, handbuilt from CRC. Id trust them much more for 6 foot drops
    The mountains are calling and I must go

Perpetual Hack
    Hope Pro2 / 823 with Comptetition spokes comes in closer to 2300-2400 grams. When you see the rim weight, that is without nipple inserts.

michael

EDR
    819's have been bombproof for me for years now. Have had several sets. If I was looking for what you describe I would seriously be looking at 823's since UST is a must for me.

Why or why doesn't Mavic make a 821 wheel??!!! I bet it would be their best selling high end wheel.

RIP Friendgirl
    Best wheel I've personally used was laced with a Mavic D521 rim which was replaced by the EX721. Exact same rim.

There mostly used tubed if it matters.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had a set of ringle equalizer 31s laced up to pro 2s, very stiff. Also, alittle over 1900 grams. I had mine built at CRC and it came out to 399.