mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Headtube Angle HT vs FS

Hello fellow mtbrs.

Currently I am riding a yelli screamy with a 120mm fork which gives it a 68* headtube angle.

I recently ordered a tallboy LT and this will be my first full suspension bike. I have been enjoying the slacker headtube angle on the yelli vs my old xc bike.

The tallboy headtube angle is 69.5* however in my head I'm thinking since it's full suspension it's not going to steepen as the fork compresses like the hardtail does; therefore, will not feel unstable like a xc bike does on the dh.

Should i worry about getting an angleset for the TB or am I being or paranoid and just ride and have fun? I fully plan on getting some rides in on the TB before changing anything for sure either way.

beater

Headtube Angle HT vs FS

Quote Originally Posted by sti2.5ldohc View Post
    Should i worry about getting an angleset for the TB or am I being or paranoid and just ride and have fun? I fully plan on getting some rides in on the TB before changing anything for sure either way.
    I think you answered your own question. There's a lot more to how a bike rides than the HTA. I owned a Yelli, and have demoed a LTc. I thought the latter was a well-balanced ride, and recommend taking the time to feel it out before changing too much.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    i wouldnt even worry. i road a Tallboy a couple weeks ago in Tahoe. its a great bike, and its very comfortable too

and x2 what evasive said. ride it for sometime before you change anything
    Last edited by nauc; 06-05-2014 at 01:07 AM.
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Headtube Angle HT vs FS

OK so you're saying:

1) On your HT your head angle steepens during compression, which you think makes it feel less stable
    And
    2) On an FS, since the back drops at the same rate as the front, this won't happen as much, therefore you don't think you'll notice the net change of +1.5 degree steeper

Did I understand correctly?

OK. First I don't don't think #1 is a real factor in stability at speed, especially with a 120mm fork. The fork is only at full compression for very short periods and spends most of its time between zero and 50% compression, with the head angle thus momentarily oscillating between +. 5 / -. 5 or less. If you look at a bike in slow motion, it will look more like the bike is traveling level and the wheel is moving up and down under it. The head angle, relative to the surface that the front wheel is on, might momentarily change at the peak of some rock, but it will spend equal amounts of time in a slightly slacker position, nulling out the total effect. The static head angle is the main factor.

Secondly, on an fs bike I don't think that effect #1, . . . if it exists at all, will be lessened by the fact that the rear is suspended as well. Most often, the front will compress under an obstacle, then the back.

So, overall, I'm saying I think you will notice the steeper head angle on the tall boy, there's no way around it, but you'll get used to it.

mbtr member
    50% of 120mm =60mm = ~2.5 change to head AND seat angle, also lowering the bars and raising the saddle. It's absolutely significant, it's weird to even wonder. Subaru is talking about the effects of sag.

Subaru, don't rush to get an angleset, mine was always creaking or clunking, requiring adjustment, and head angle is surprisingly subtle thing when you can change it by itself. The bike is more than just it's head angle anyway; trust in the designer's ability to make it work as a whole... or get a model that you think better fits your expectations.
    Last edited by scottzg; 06-06-2014 at 04:42 PM.