Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Head Tube Question: New Pig vs. Summer Season

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mtskibum16 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking about picking up one of the new Blue Pigs (as soon as CRC has them in stock), but I was wondering about the headtube angle. When looking through the pdf of ragleys site. It claims the "static" head-tune angle (unsagged) is 65.6 degrees.

I know people will say that the bike isn't at the "static" settings when you ride it and blah blah blah.

ANYHOW, I was looking at the bikes over at On-One and the Summer Seasons head tube angle is 65.5 (so the angles listed are basically the same for both bikes)

What I'm curious about is if the On-One geometry is listed as sagged or not. I've ridden a friend Summer Season, and while it's a cool bike, the head-tube angel is WAY to slack for midwest riding.

If someone could fill me in that'd be great. I'd love to get a new ragley, but if it's as slack as the Summer Season, I may have to look elsewhere.

#2 ·
arkon11 said:
Hi,

I'm thinking about picking up one of the new Blue Pigs (as soon as CRC has them in stock), but I was wondering about the headtube angle. When looking through the pdf of ragleys site. It claims the "static" head-tune angle (unsagged) is 65.6 degrees.

I know people will say that the bike isn't at the "static" settings when you ride it and blah blah blah.

ANYHOW, I was looking at the bikes over at On-One and the Summer Seasons head tube angle is 65.5 (so the angles listed are basically the same for both bikes)

What I'm curious about is if the On-One geometry is listed as sagged or not. I've ridden a friend Summer Season, and while it's a cool bike, the head-tube angel is WAY to slack for midwest riding.

If someone could fill me in that'd be great. I'd love to get a new ragley, but if it's as slack as the Summer Season, I may have to look elsewhere.
The #1 reason why I sold my SS and got the TransAM frame. The SS is too focused on DH-bombing than anything else really.

#8 ·
I'd get the transam. I have the Blue Pig, and it is a huge upgrade from the bike I was coming from. It is really nimble, flickable and excels in pointing the bike downward. That being said, it isn't the most efficient climber. I haven't taken it on any really tough climbs, but the front end seems to come up rather easily, which is fine for me, more manuals :)

#12 ·
Based on numbers, it always seemed like this would be the case. However, I know Grant has mentioned he designed them for "winch-up climbs" and it seems like it works for them. Maybe you need to adjust your climbing style or change the bike setup a little? I'm still on the fence. For the Pigs, I love the idea of a steeper STA but i'm a little nervous about the super slack HTA. I'm thinking the Dialled Alpine looks very interesting. That or the Orange P7. Then again, both of those bike are much more $$$ than the Pig or 456....

#10 ·
Looooooove my Summer Season.
Adjustable travel fork is a must if you're planning on doing any noticeable amount of climbing.
From the first ride (150mm fork) she's faster downhill than my prophet, only a little harder on the way up
(and that's running her 1x9, my prophet is 2x9)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.