nimble biker

have you guys test ride any Devinci split pivot bike?

What do you think?

mtbr member
    hey check out my thread that is still on the main page Anyone done an AM build on an XC frame?

im still getting to know the bike, but so far I LOVE IT. its an '11 dexter. supposedly the suspension behaves very similar to trek abp but i have not ridden trek so i cant comment.

I have the 110mm travel dexter model. if you read around you will see a few reports that the split pivot can wallow in the 145mm travel dixon model. I bet this is down to improper shock tune but no way for me to know.

The dexter is an absolute rocket when you press the pedals, sitting and spinning OR standing and mashing. So far, I have not detected any unwanted bob OR squat, despite it is surprisingly active when climbing rugged/techy terrain. It also feels incredibly plush for the amount of travel, both climbing and descending. I get the sensation that even with only 110mm it refuses to get hung up on the techy trails i have. My first FS bike in '08 was a 125mm travel dw link bike and this 110 mm soaks up so much more of the trail than that did.

Also seems totally active under braking but I've never had a noticeable issue with this on any of the FS frames ive had which nearly run the gamut of designs.

Someone will post up with rave reviews about the dixon, im sure, but I am incredibly pleased with my dexter

EDIT: rode it last night in LOW/slack setting and will leave it this way. low bb rails turns and feels super stable and the seat tube is still plenty forward enough to feel great on climbs

nimble biker
    does split pivot have any pedal kick back? how does it respond to climb?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got a 2014 carbon Dixon. There is no kickback. It's a little strange, actually, coming from a dw-link. I have learned to expect a little bit of resistance in the pedals when climbing technical features, I have had to change my style. I don't think one behavior is better than the other at this point, you just have to attack stuff differently with each design. Where I really like the split pivot is in pedaling through descents in the rough stuff and corners, you don't have to time your strokes as much and it just feels amazing jetting out of the apex of a turn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've got a Dixon and I love the performance of the split pivot. It's my favorite bike that I own. Don't notice any type of kickback or negative performance on climbs. I don't even bother to engage the propedal on climbs as I don't find it needs it. I would say one of the strongest points of the split pivot the performance under breaking. The back wheel stays nice and active and tracks the ground great.

If you've ridden any DW link bikes here's my take on the two. I have a 6pt, Sunday and rode a 7pt for a while. Compared to the DW link its a close match between the two. To me the split pivot works slightly better under breaking but the DW edges out when it gets really rough (example coming into allot of rocks or very choppy stuff at full speed) but not by much. Acceleration is close between the two. Traction on steep climbs is better on the DW due to the anti-squat characteristics. Like I said a very close match between them and they both are great designs.

Hope this helps.

Al

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Different split-pivot bikes will feel different because the location of the main pivot changes between them. The Dixon, for example, has considerably more antisquat than the more recent Troy. Arguably, the Dixon had 'too much' antisquat. It has a lot more than the Mojo HD, for example, which might limit traction on techy climbs.

Split pivots do have pedal kickback. That is an inevitable consequence of having antisquat. However, it may be less noticable than some DWlink bikes because where it's felt in the travel changes. I think it varies between riders, and it depends on whether you climb in granny rings (lots of kick back) or a 1X drivetrain (much less kickback).

The new Troy is a really nice set-up (on paper at least -- I haven't ridden it). So is the Atlas. Both have about 100% antisquat in the 32tooth ring, and so balance antisquat with an active suspension while climbing, especially in a 1X drivetrain. Both the Troy and Atlas remain very active under braking too.

The Split-Pivot's that I've actually ridden (Dixon and Atlas) were great bikes. So were the Trek's with a similar design (like the new Remedys, though that is a bit more 'active'). If you like the feel of a bike like the Mojo HD, I think that you will like a Troy.

For all the suspension designs, shock settings will of course play a huge role...

mtbr member
    I rode the Dixon last year at Interbike and the new Troy this year at Outerbike. I was really impressed with both. The Troy in particular was very good. It stood up and leapt forward when mashing on the pedals yet, as others have said, it seemed quite plush and active on the rougher stuff. It also seemed to absorb square edges fairly seamlessly while climbing. I didn't notice any pedal kick back (or more accurately, chain induced suspension stiffening) and it stayed active while braking.

beater
    I've only had 3 rides on Split Pivot frames, all Devincis. At last year's Outerbike, I rode a Dixon and two different Atlas builds, (100mm fork and 140mm fork). I liked them a lot, as did my 2 friends. Too long ago to remember more details than that, however.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I rode a Devinci Atlas in Pemberton this summer and found exactly what TwoWheelMan suggested. This was setup as a 3x and the granny was very bouncy without using the shock features. On the whole it was a good setup and an interesting contrast to my "normal" (read: new this year) VPP based Intense Tracer. Traction was good and aside from the pedal bob (which was corrected by the shock) the bike was a great climber and capable technical descender. Particularly considering the much bigger bike I normally ride.

Ultimately I found I liked the VPP more to my liking (lucky me, would suck to like the bike I don't have better ;-).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

What do you think?

I bought at Troy a few months ago, and I'm blown away. Basically, everything everyone else has said is dead on, and perfectly describes the Split Pivot.

On a side note, I demo'd a 26er Trek Slash, the 160mm bike, and was shocked at how awful their ABP suspension was on that bike. It was one of the harshest bikes I have ever ridden, I suspect however, that it was meant for very big hits and drops, not the run of the mill rough stuff.

Get a ride in on a Devinci, you'll love it.