Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Has intense made the best all mountain rig?

Intense Tracer 2 Short Term Review

After riding the Intense Tracer 2 for about a month, I thought it was about time to write a solid review. I really donít ever review anything on MTBR, but after using this site to research other bikes and parts I felt the need to write a little something about this bike. A bike of this quality deserves a worthy review.

For a little reference I would like to point out that I have and will always ride an Intense. I have owned just about everything in the enduro/all-mountain category from the first Tracer, the spider vpp, 5.5, Tracer VP and now the Tracer 2. I love riding anything from smooth single track to rocky steeps. I prefer to ride parts of trails that most people think are unrideable. So, to say the least, with in the last month I have pretty much thrashed and enjoyed everything about this bike. I did some traveling with this beauty and she is definitely a keeper. In about a month I have put in some serious miles in Colorado, Utah and California.

I set the bike up on the lightweight side, but with the intention of it lasting a long time and being dependable. The drivetrain is a mix of Sram XO and XTR 2x10. I put on Formula The One DH stoppers and Hadley Hubs with Flow rims. I would rather build a bike a little heavier in order to ride something stiffer and more dependable. There is not one piece of carbon on this bike and it still weighs in at 28.9lbs. I really wanted to build something that could handle heavy trails yet also something that I could ride all day. This build is perfect for that and more.

Every trail I took the Tracer 2 on I was in awe. After each ride it felt like I had rediscovered mountain biking. Intenseís slogan on the Tracer 2 is that technical trails will be bummed that you tamed them so easily. This is a no bull statement. Every trail I rode from Porcupine Rim in Moab to the Lunch Loops in Fruita I felt that this bike killed it. The Tracer 2 literally feels like a DH bike while descending and like a cross country bike while ascending. I was also amazed how great it climbed. I put a Fox Talas up front and when dropped the geometry feels really close that of a cross country bike. The back end is super stiff and I have yet to feel any sort of flex. The new bearing system and grease ports actually work. It really is redesigned when compared to the previous Tracer. The Tracer VP is an unbelievable ride, but it was fine tuned for a reason. The Tracer 2 just feels right in every situation from cornering to drops. It is well balanced and to be honest I could not be happier with this build. I have yet to find anything negative about the Tracer 2 and I am confident that I will never find anything negative about it.

In the next month I intend to throw a little bigger fork up front an angleset and maybe even a coil shock in the rear for mini DH. I will keep you posted when after I put that stuff on. I am sure that I will ride just as great, maybe even better. This bike is super adjustable and fits a broad spectrum of usage which is the beauty of this ride. It is now my go to bike in my quiver even when I am riding all day epics.

The craftsmanship is unbelievable and every weld is perfect. Intense hit the ball out of the park with this one. I am continuously amazed when people say that they had no idea this bike was even available. So if youíre debating on whether or not you should upgrade your 5.5 or Tracer VP, donít hesitate. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. If you think that it is the same bike as the Tracer VP, it is not even close. This bike is worth every hard earned penny and is truly a keeper. So if your thinking about building a sweet all mountain setup look no further.

Thank you Intense for building such a great bike and thanks for reading. See you on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has intense made the best all mountain rig?-cimg3785.jpg  

Has intense made the best all mountain rig?-cimg3787.jpg  

Has intense made the best all mountain rig?-cimg3823.jpg  

Has intense made the best all mountain rig?-fruita-portal.jpg  

Has intense made the best all mountain rig?-cimg3804.jpg  

T.W.O.
    Thanks for the write up, looks great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolfman55 View Post
    For a little reference I would like to point out that I have and will always ride an Intense.
    I stopped reading here, there's no way an unbiased review could follow that. Have you ridden anything else for comparison?

Looks nice though.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    If the title of the thread was a legitimate question, then the answer is resounding no.

First of all, color is ugly, chain protector is atrocious, and there is no bashguard, stanchions are 32mm and there is no coil shock. Massive fail.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS View Post
    I stopped reading here, there's no way an unbiased review could follow that. Have you ridden anything else for comparison?

Looks nice though.
    Same here. Title should read "Has Intense made their best all mountain rig?"
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Friendly Crowd Here

Thanks, for the great comments, it's great to see such a friendly mountain bike community. After riding many bikes including intense, turner, ibis, trek and many more I have found that Intense is a quality American company and their bikes work and fit me very well. I only weight about 130 lbs so I really don't need to be hauling around a huge fork all day. Regardless, I set the bike up so I could ride sun up to sun down. Go for a ride. Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2007

Friendly Crowd Here

Thanks, for the great comments, it's great to see such a friendly mountain bike community. After riding many bikes including intense, turner, ibis, trek and many more I have found that Intense is a quality American company and their bikes work and fit me very well. I only weight about 130 lbs so I really don't need to be hauling around a huge fork all day. Regardless, I set the bike up so I could ride sun up to sun down. Go for a ride. Cheers

mtbr member
    Mr. Axe I pretty much would never trust anyone who rides a hardtail Motobecane (you wanna talk about an atrocious bike... come on... Wallmart sells better mountain bikes) about what should or shouldn't be on an "All mountain" bike... Whether are not you like what components he put on his bike it obviously works for him. Im pretty sure an all mountain bike is classified by where and how you ride it, more so than what you put on it. I think the intent of his review was for the frame itself. You can tell by his pictures he obviously can ride and I'm pretty sure more than knows what he is talking about..... I think the new tracer 2 looks gorgeous.

Thanks for the write up bwolfman

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by boynamedsue View Post
    Mr. Axe I pretty much would never trust anyone who rides a hardtail Motobecane (you wanna talk about an atrocious bike... come on... Wallmart sells better mountain bikes)
    When Walmart starts carrying 20lb excellently welded titanium hardtails, I would gladly shop there. 5am in line. You are right on the appearance though - I had to remove most of the stickers from the frame. Easy to do on titanium. Nice job picking one of my bikes though. So easy to recognize a snob - they all hate on bikesdirect, while they never ridden one.

What they definitely would not carry at Walmart is sense of humor and ability to recognize sarcasm. So you are out of luck, I guess.

As far as other responses, it is very hard to reply seriously to an obvious gushing fan post. It is undeniably fine bike, but.. seriously.

Thus, cool story, I guess.

SamIAm
    man i wish i was 70-80 lbs lighter. being 6'3 185(200so with gear) i could ride much lighter parts.

it all depends on weight really. 130lb person can rip light AM bike way harder than i could of the same weight.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

May contain nuts
    Sweet bike & suitable build. Sure, the new-bike-gush is on full, but isn't that appropriate if said new bike impresses as this one does?
    Oh, and Axe is a tool.

mtbr member
    Anything with a fox float is hardly suitable for even riding off a curb, much less AM

If you dont xray a weld, you really have no idea how good it is. Experienced weldors can spot cold/hot spots in the bead, but its not something intuitive.

g3h6o3
    At the moment I'm looking at 3 different replacement frames

1) Intense Tracer2
    2) 2011 Transition BottleRocket
    3) Pivot Firebird

I'm pretty sure all 3 would be awesome and could be considered the best by someone. What's putting me off from the Tracer & Firebird is the price. With a coil shock (CCDB or DHXRC4) it's over 2.5 grand... The BottleRocket wins in the price department easily being 1000$ cheaper.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Shred all that can be
    What's the rear travel?
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16 View Post
    What's the rear travel?
    The rear travel is adjustable from 145mm to 160mm depending on where you move the lower shock bolt on the linkage. Takes all of about 30 seconds to change the travel. Thanks

ZEN RIDER!
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    At the moment I'm looking at 3 different replacement frames

1) Intense Tracer2
    2) 2011 Transition BottleRocket
    3) Pivot Firebird

I'm pretty sure all 3 would be awesome and could be considered the best by someone. What's putting me off from the Tracer & Firebird is the price. With a coil shock (CCDB or DHXRC4) it's over 2.5 grand... The BottleRocket wins in the price department easily being 1000$ cheaper.
    Ride the Firebird & you will forget about the price. The more rides i have on mine the more impressed I am. I've ridden Intense 5.5( 2 yrs), Ellsworth Moment(7yrs) & my buddy's Nomad carbon and the Firebird is one of the bikes that redefines genres.
    Life in every breath

meow meow
    i think it looks sick. some people just dont need 36mm forks and all that, its cool to see a bike built purely on function.

mtbr member
    For a little reference I would like to point out that I have and will always ride an Intense.

So this is where I was about to stop reading, but then I saw this:

I have owned just about everything in the enduro/all-mountain category...

But you were just teasing and let us all down with this:

...from the first Tracer, the spider vpp, 5.5, Tracer VP and now the Tracer 2.

So basically you have an intense Intense boner and you wanted to share it. I skimmed through what you read and you're definitely a fan.

mtbr member
    I agree, although i did not read all that. The bike looks great and you have it right where you want it and thats what counts.

By the way 130lb, you need to eat........I sling sheets of drywall as heavy as you..........JK

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice ride, have they resolved the rear end cracking with the Tracer 2?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolfman55 View Post
    I have yet to find anything negative about the Tracer 2 and I am confident that I will never find anything negative about it.
    Ummmm, ok.

If you're going to review a bike, an open mind adds to your credibility as a reviewer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You seem like you're pretty attached to the brand - but that's one hell of a great looking bike, and you write with passion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    To each his own. I thought the 5.5 I had was the worst bike I ever owned. The lower link bearings lasted an average of 10 rides (despite assurances from Intense they had figured out the previous bearing problems) and the VPP rear end climbed like garbage (yes, I know how to set up a shock. It just never lived up to the hype). I remember there being talk of a retrofit grease port kit for older frames, did this really happen or was it just talk on the part of Intense? Anyway, I think Intense makes great bikes for SoCal MBA types who like bikes with the word "Intense" on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    "Has intense built the best am rig?" Dude are you serious; you make me "lol"? Ya its a nice trail bike, but your trying to say it's the best am bike and you wanna ride dh with it. Stick to paved roads with your fox float, 68 deg ha, Ztr flows. Bike is gonna be in pieces after first dh run. Intense advertises this cycle as a "trail" bike so stop tricking yourself saying it's the best am rig. It's far from it son.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink View Post
    To each his own. I thought the 5.5 I had was the worst bike I ever owned. The lower link bearings lasted an average of 10 rides (despite assurances from Intense they had figured out the previous bearing problems) and the VPP rear end climbed like garbage (yes, I know how to set up a shock. It just never lived up to the hype). I remember there being talk of a retrofit grease port kit for older frames, did this really happen or was it just talk on the part of Intense? Anyway, I think Intense makes great bikes for SoCal MBA types who like bikes with the word "Intense" on it.
    I've always felt like Intense is like Turner without the class, quality, or style. Err.

The reality is that they make fine frames, they just tend to push stuff out a bit more quick and dirty than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast