mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Has anyone switched from 29 to 27.5 X 2.6?

I am in the market for a new aggressive trail/all mountain bike. I知 6 foot tall and have exclusively ridden 29 for the past five or six years. However, sometimes I think my riding style might mesh more with some of the new 27.5 x 2.6 offerings. Has anyone made the switch recently and have any feedback, whether good or bad? I am a strong technical rider who corners aggressively and favors fun over all out speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Try 29 plus. You're tall enough to enjoy it.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Try 29 plus. You're tall enough to enjoy it.
    Agreed. I tuned in because the thread title almost suggests that 29x2.6 isn't a thing.

Well, I'm here to tell you it's a terrific thing! At least for us taller fellas.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I would be interested if someone could answer your question! I run 27.5x 2.6 and would consider adding a 29er to the quiver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrisonCityStandout View Post
    I favors fun over all out speed.
    then, you will probably like the Low-fat 27.5. Of course it's easier to flick around than 29 2.6

This place needs an enema
    I am in the market for a new aggressive trail/all mountain bike. I知 6 foot tall and have exclusively ridden 29 for the past five or six years. However, sometimes I think my riding style might mesh more with some of the new 27.5 x 2.6 offerings. Has anyone made the switch recently and have any feedback, whether good or bad? I am a strong technical rider who corners aggressively and favors fun over all out speed.

I've tried it a few times -- on a few of my own bikes and also on one belonging to a friend.

Only you can say whether it'll work for you. I found that the smaller wheel/tire got hooked on every ledge and square-edged rock, such that I was having less fun, going less fast, and having to work harder to maintain momentum.

But my trails have lots of square edges. If yours don't it might work great.

mtbr member
    Based on your riding style, get a 27.5. I致e ridden a few 29ers and found them to be quite boring compared to 27.5. If you enjoy playful free riding, then 27.5 with 2.6痴 is really hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I made the switch from a 29er to 27.5 recently, albeit 2.4 not 2.6. I will be going to 2.6 once the 2.4 stock tires that came on my bike wear out. Regardless, i have a similar riding style to you. I dont really care about speed and i prefer to jump around and have fun when i ride, meaning that i have to ride pretty aggressive to remain entertained. When i compare the 29er to the 27.5 i honestly dont see much difference, i would be lying if i said i saw any dramatic changes. The biggest difference i find is when cornering, i feel like i have more control over the bigger 29er that i am used too but then again the difference is slight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you for all the responses. I知 anxious to throw my leg over the Mach 5.5 and see how I gel with it. As far as 29+, that is something I am not currently looking at.

mtbr member
    I am running 27.5 x 2.5" WT Minions on my enduro bike. Fastest setup I've ever had...

For the type of riding I mainly do (high speed technical DH with lots of corners after a long climb), 27.5 wheels beat all the 29ers I've ridden. They are more playful, flickable, and agile -- with plenty of rollover for chunk.

29ers are nice when it's really high speed and moderately straight.

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the responses. I知 anxious to throw my leg over the Mach 5.5 and see how I gel with it. As far as 29+, that is something I am not currently looking at.
    I don't have the experience you have on trails. My two mountain bikes are a Tallboy (two wheelsets, 29x2.3 and 27.5x2.8) and a Trek 1120 (29x3). All are really fun. The Tallboy with semi fat tires feels really stable, but running the 29er tires, it might be more nimble. The 29+ 1120 is simply bodacious. The rollover and stability combination is amazing. I think you'll like the 27.5x2.6.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    29er to 27.5, skinny to plus.

100% no question I prefer 27.5. It's much much easier to thrash around in the flowy stuff.

100% no question I prefer 2.6 and 2.8 over 2.25 and 2.4. High speed braking vastly improved, and cornering is so much more confident and grippy.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a trek stache 29 plus and an ibis mojo 3 with 27.5 x 2.6, the mojo is hands down more fun than the stache in everything but snow and really sand trails. However one is a ht and one fs with very different geometries so ymmv

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Both bikes are loads of fun though, as far as rollover goes I found that as long as I pay attention to the front wheel on the ibis the suspension (once I had it dialed effectively) allows the rear wheel to get less hung up on square edge hits than the stache, however I'm sure a 29 fs would handle that even better. But again if it's fun your after 27.5 wheels are definitely going to feel more nimble than 29 everything else being similar

Elitest thrill junkie
    I went from 29 enduro to 27.5 enduro with 2.4ish tires. I noticed the bike is much easier to get to the correct speed/keep at speed in rhythm/jump sections. Pops off stuff easier. Doesn't bleed as much speed in medium-radius turns at high speed (on the 29er, I would slide to the outside if I came in too hot).

Tight handling is neutral, no improvement or worsening (this was dialed a few years ago with the modern enduro 29ers, but there are still a lot of the older goofy-geometry ones out there).

Roll-over with drops and wheel-catchers is worse. Having 170mm of front travel helps, but doesn't give you the ultimate roll-over that 29 up front had.

Overall I found it faster and funner to go to 27.5. I wouldn't avoid 29 too badly, as a "one bike" solution I'd likely have one with a bit more travel than my XC race 29er, but I generally don't care for over-sized tires, except for winter. Again, I find they generally slow me down.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.