mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hardtail options: Cotic BFe or ?

I am planning a 1x11, lyrik air (130-160mm) build, and am trying to find the right frame.

Requirements:
    Steel
    Take a tapered steerer
    30.9 or 31.6 seat tube
    ISCG
    23.5ish ETT

options:
    BFe medium - TT seems a wee short for me
    Chromag stylus large - heavy

What other bikes am I missing? Thanks.

perpetual pucker factor
    If you're not opposed to the possibility of a big wheeler that handles much like a 26er, there's the Canfield Nimble 9. I haven't ridden one, but everyone I've talked to that has one says it's really really um... nimble. Nice and low BB height will counteract the top-heavy feel of the bigger wheels. The only thing it doesn't have is the ISCG mounts, you'd have to get one of the ISCG clamps.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am not opposed to bigger wheels, but already have the lyrik air tapered

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Blue Pig is another option, but may be a bit slack at 160mm

mtbr member
    couple that come to mind:

evil has sovereign and DOC. i have the latter; those are both well loved but not new these days. You'd need a sov for a lyric, but those are slightly nicer anyways if you can find one your size. Such sick bikes and well ahead of their time with the cool chainstay adjustment feature

stanton slackline if you want to consider another boutique UK option (not sure if theyre ideal with long forks)

prive shaun ... uncommon asian frame. they look cool and are designed for 160 forks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    privee shan looks cool but seems kinda expensive for a chromoly frame, could get a TI 456 evo for that price.

mtbr member
    my own opinion and prediction is that you'll end up riding it at 130 on most stuff. esp if you end up with a bike with short(er) chainstays

thats where you get the tight handling extremely fun feel where you can chuck it with small amount of body english

personnaly i dont really even get putting fork bigger than 150m on a hardtail. if you need that much suspension, then you need it on both wheels, imo. of course, internet disclosure: this is the internet and i have never spent time on such a bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am with you there actually, my current all mountain hardtail has an older u-turn pike that covers the range perfectly with the 90mm-140mm.

Its just that I have this lyrik and really prefer a hardtail as my go to everyday bike. Maybe sell the lyrik and pick up a new pike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    In my mind, the BFe is atop the heap as far as geo is concerned...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiMana View Post
    I am planning a 1x11, lyrik air (130-160mm) build, and am trying to find the right frame.

Requirements:
    Steel
    Take a tapered steerer
    30.9 or 31.6 seat tube
    ISCG
    23.5ish ETT

options:
    BFe medium - TT seems a wee short for me
    Chromag stylus large - heavy

What other bikes am I missing? Thanks.

If you got the cash get the Chromag and, stop looking. Those things are sex on wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I recently built up a Cotic BFe. I ride a medium in every other bike I have owned and the small BFe fits me great.

I agree with patrick2cents that the geometry is near perfect. Short chainstays, plenty of fork options, slack in front, seat slightly to the rear, accepts big tires, and has an average BB height. Other bikes in the BFe class seem to have low BB heights which is great for downhill, but not so great for playing around on the slickrock. Depends on where you ride, I guess.

I am running a 120/150 talas fork and it feels great at 150. Would probably feel great at 140 too, but I already had the talas from a previous bike.

I would post a picture, but I would have to take my thudbuster seatpost off to avoid the mocking and humiliation that would ensue.