mtbr member
    Jun 2013

From Hardtail to FS - Bike Suggestions for under 2K

Hi guys,

New to the forum, looking for some insight. Presently I am riding a 2009 Brodie Bandit (Deore, Rock Shox Dart 2, Avid Juicy 3). I am wanting to move up to a FS bike that is light for cross country. It doesn't have to be carbon fiber, but somewhere closer or lighter than my 29lb bandit.

I am leaning toward Marin, or perhaps Rocky Mountain. I don't really know which brands, components to stay away from, and which to go with.

I would like to spend less than $2000. I recently found a 10 Mount Vision for 1099, and a Rift Zone XC6 for the same price. Both new. My preference would be to buy new.

Any help would be great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Strictly XC or in between XC and AM aka Trail?

I'd look for a used trance, epic, or stumpy depending on intended usage.

BTW, why no more HT? I use my HT for just about everything and I cannot think of an FS bike that could replace my surge
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey thanks, looked at the epics as well. I like to ride trails right now, but several years when I lived elsewhere, I enjoyed the gnarly up and down type stuff. I'm not the niche that is, but there were some sizeable downhills and drops. I just got tired of my brain rattling. Also I would like to go to a 120 mm fork and wanted to try something else in terms of frame, ride, etc.

More plushness would be good and I would like one bike that I can hang onto for a long time. Time for a change ya know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    FSR is plush, IMHO it sucks to pedal up (stumpy experiences) but it is nice on the downs.

For my all rig, I went with two different boats. A 7" front 5" rear banshee wildcard. It climbs pretty well, and can handle bike parks (although my recent experience is that it will jump with the best of them, and beat the snot out of you on the chunder) and my steel hardtail (which just beats the snot out of you, but can climb and descend better than any XC FS bike that I've ridden).

With that in mind, I would not hesitate with the trance that I rode 4 years ago for a fast, nimble, XC mild AM bike. I haven't ridden a newer giant yet, but I would have gotten a trance in 2009 if it had fit me better as an out the door bike. Very firm and a good platform. FSR was plusher, and I liked my stumpy as a moderate climber and fast descender (just kept the hits on the smaller side), but if I were to make the decision of an AM/quiver killer bike again, I'd go stumpy EVO or similar, most likely a steel hardtail like the chromag samurai, transition transam, or NS surge.
    Just another redneck with a bike