mtbr member
    Oct 2008

hardtail frame for 160mm

am currently lookin for a more aggressive hardtail frame that will work with a marz am 130-160mm fork ? do mostly up and down trails so need to be a decent climber too.
    wanting to start hitting a few jumps too.
    don know much about the steel or more travel hardtails so please, any input is appreciated

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There are quite a few...

Just a couple off the top of my head:
    Ragley Blue Pig (Mine should arrive today, or tomorrow); mmmBop (aluminum version)
    Transition TransAM
    NS Surge
    On One 456; or 456 Summer Season (really slack)
    Sinister Ridge (aluminum, and I'm not sure about the 160mm, but I'm sure it would be fine)

Check out the AM Hardtail thread at the top of the Forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    nice list of bikes thanks for the info.
    any input on the pros and cons of al and steel differences

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This may turn into a "war" but the general idea is:

Aluminum-
    Pro- Lighter
    Cons: Harsher ride; shorter metal fatigue life; hard to fix anything on the frame (have to re-heat treat after welding)

Steel-
    Pro- absorbs the bumps more (less harsh); longer metal fatige life; can normally add/fix items on frame (normally don't have to heat treat, although I think some do)
    Con- Heavier

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Don't forget the Cove stiffee. Super fun bike. miss mine

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah, there are a bunch of them I can't remember them all... lol

Check out these companies (not sure what models though):
    Banshee
    Cove
    Chromag

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    DMR Ex[alt]

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

mtbr member
    I'd go for the TransAM

mbtr member
    This is also a good genre to go custom with- AM Ht's are inherently a geometry compromise, and custom steel is much cheaper than a frame-only FS frame.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Balfa Minuteman if you can find one... I have 140mm on mine but 160 would be nicer for DH/FR.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Dialled Bikes Alpine

I have the Dialled Bikes Prince Albert which is 130-140mm fork. Great ride characteristics. The Alpine is it's bike brother that can handle a bigger fork along with the front triangle being 853 steel (the PA is 520 in the front).

mtbr member
    looking at a Ragley Bluepig myself as a summer buildup project.

"Steel is Real"

ride hard take risks
    NS Surge with real Steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    My DMR Ex[alt], steel frame. It has a 120 mm travel fork on it, as the Manitou has the same crown to axle measurement as a 150/160mm fork, so the geometry works. The frame will take a 150mm single crown fork or a 170mm dual crown fork.

local trails rider
    Has anyone else ever heard about Lumberjack?
    http://iridehere.com/bikes.html

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    They look like a cool company, I like this, from their sales blurb:
    “First off, there’s the material. Steel. Do you know why nobody rides hardtails anymore? Because they started making them out of aluminum and that was a terrible idea.”

ride hard take risks
    Never heard but it looks awesome. The box section at the chainstay is interesting looks like three pieces.
    Formotion Products

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Never heard but it looks awesome.
    The geometry looks promising to me: long and low, and on the slack side even with a short fork.

edit:
    ... Looks like there's a lot of interest in Curtlo:
    "The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit."

ride hard take risks
    The geometry looks promising to me: long and low, and on the slack side even with a short fork.
    Looks allot like the NS spec nice DH/FR/AM/DJ dang thats a do all bike!!!

I went for the 6" fork cause I need all the help I can get.
    Formotion Products

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by marki3boy
    My DMR Ex[alt], steel frame. It has a 120 mm travel fork on it, as the Manitou has the same crown to axle measurement as a 150/160mm fork, so the geometry works. The frame will take a 150mm single crown fork or a 170mm dual crown fork.
    What crack are you on? There is no way that 120mm Minute has the same a2c as a 150/160mm fork.

AFAIK, similar travel Manitou forks are actually even a few mm shorter than similar travel forks from RS, Fox, and Marzocchi.

Of course it works just fine, but it's no where near as slack as one of those taller forks would make it. Probably a degree or nearly two steeper.

Bike still looks good, and fun though!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

FM
    mtbr member
    Lumberjacks are fabricated by Mike Truelove in Squamish- he also does a lot of the Chromag stuff.

Very nice bikes.... more expensive than the other frames in this thread, and really on a different level quality wise too I think. Better materials and fabrication techniques can come in 1lb lighter than a mass-production frame, while actually being stronger and having better ride quality to boot.

Speaking of which... thats a bummer about Curtlo's website. I'm sure it will be back up soon. In the mean time, here are some pictures of mine!

Coudn't be happier with it.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Lumberjacks are fabricated by Mike Truelove in Squamish- he also does a lot of the Chromag stuff.

Very nice bikes.... more expensive than the other frames in this thread, and really on a different level quality wise too I think. Better materials and fabrication techniques can come in 1lb lighter than a mass-production frame, while actually being stronger and having better ride quality to boot.

Speaking of which... thats a bummer about Curtlo's website. I'm sure it will be back up soon. In the mean time, here are some pictures of mine!

Coudn't be happier with it.
    oh thank God. Not seeing you reply to this thread for that long convinced me for sure that you hit your head pretty badly while at Whizzler or something...I could care less about you but i wasnt even sure if you had a chance to update your will to leave me your bike

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    (FM,) i wasnt even sure if you had a chance to update your will to leave me your bike
    Hey!
    I recall that bike looked a pretty good size for ME!

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    What crack are you on? There is no way that 120mm Minute has the same a2c as a 150/160mm fork.

AFAIK, similar travel Manitou forks are actually even a few mm shorter than similar travel forks from RS, Fox, and Marzocchi.

Of course it works just fine, but it's no where near as slack as one of those taller forks would make it. Probably a degree or nearly two steeper.

Bike still looks good, and fun though!
    It's not a minute, it's a Manitou Black. The stantions are longer than other 120mm forks (141 mm) because of the weird reverse arch, which gives the fork quite a long axle to crown measurement. The Manitous are 51cm a2c, my RS Domains at 160mm are 53cm a2c.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Really feelin the DMR . also like the EVIL frames.

any pro and cons of each in a vs. comparison?

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr6031
    Really feelin the DMR . also like the EVIL frames.

any pro and cons of each in a vs. comparison?
    Is it the Evil Sovereign?

The Evil Sovereign:
    Pros — more sizes and colours available, takes 24" and 26" wheels
    Cons — More expensive, geometry based on a 140 mm fork

DMR Ex[alt]
    Pros — Cheaper, takes up to a 150 mm single crown or 170 mm dual crown fork.
    Cons — Only two sizes and colours available

IMHO, the Evil looks better, if you have the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey jdr6031,

If you were more interested in the Evil Sovereign and wanted to run the longer 160mm fork the Dialled Bikes Alpine seems like it would be your best fit for what you've describe you want. I'm sure the price is not much different between the two with the Alpine being less expensive.

A quote from Dialled's web site about the Alpine:
    "Designed around a 130-160mm travel fork (though you can use just about any single crown fork on this frame), the Alpine is constructed of Reynolds 853 (top and down tubes), Reynolds 520 (seat tube) and 4130 cro-moly (everything else). Head angle is relatively slack for stability when tackling technical terrain or descents. But seat angle is relatively steep to help keep the front end down when climbing."

Mfg's web site:
    http://www.dialledbikes.com/usa/prod...tb/alpine.html

A thread where some people are really excited about their Alpines:
    I'm first in the world!!

p.s. I would not have posted this if it didn't seem like an exact fit for what you are saying you want (at least in your original post).

It's not a minute, it's a Manitou Black. The stantions are longer than other 120mm forks (141 mm) because of the weird reverse arch, which gives the fork quite a long axle to crown measurement. The Manitous are 51cm a2c, my RS Domains at 160mm are 53cm a2c.
    then you're measuring something wrong, or there is something wrong with your domain. stock domain 160mm is 545mm a2c, over an inch taller than your 510mm a2c black. the lyrik and fox 36 line measure about the same. (yeah, black and not a minute -oops, my bad)

that equals more than a degree of headtube angle there. not meaning anything by it, i'm just sayin'...

and even if what you have for measurement is right, 510mm vs. 530mm is still nearly an inch difference, basically a degree difference in HTA.

I'm still really digging my Peyto (no longer made) even though it is getting a crack repaired...six years of hard riding and one boneheaded over-tightening of the seat post clamp...oops. Doh!

If I were buying right now, the Transition TransAM and the Cotic BFe are at the top of my list for non-custom.

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    then you're measuring something wrong, or there is something wrong with your domain. stock domain 160mm is 545mm a2c, over an inch taller than your 510mm a2c black. the lyrik and fox 36 line measure about the same. (yeah, black and not a minute -oops, my bad)

that equals more than a degree of headtube angle there. not meaning anything by it, i'm just sayin'...

and even if what you have for measurement is right, 510mm vs. 530mm is still nearly an inch difference, basically a degree difference in HTA.

Calm down son.
    Yes, it's a bit steeper, but the tech guys at DMR said it would be ok. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the Domain measurement really, as it was in the dark corner of my shed, and I didn't check whether the U-turn was wound down.

Calm down son.
    Yes, it's a bit steeper, but the tech guys at DMR said it would be ok. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the Domain measurement really, as it was in the dark corner of my shed, and I didn't check whether the U-turn was wound down.
    oh i know it's fine, not going to hurt anything running it that way at all.

just meaning you're numbers there are way off is all.

it looks like a fun bike whatever fork you've got on.

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    oh i know it's fine, not going to hurt anything running it that way at all.

just meaning you're numbers there are way off is all.

it looks like a fun bike whatever fork you've got on.
    According to tech sites, my measurements are nuts — looks like I was on crack after all!
    The bike is great for now, but I’m saving for a bigger fork.

The Sentinel

Dialled Bikes Alpine

Still loving mine...and coincidentally, I'm running a Marzocchi AM1 on mine too. The next generation frames will be available soon, and were about $600 here in the US when I bought mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I can't compete with the designer stuff that's been posted in here thus far, but if you're on a budget and want something versatile that will take a hard beating...you can get a Komodo frame here and there for $100-$150 or so.

Set up at 26.5lbs for an aggo-trail bike:

Set up at 32lbs for a freeride hardtail with a Domain U-Turn 160mm:

I really didn't need the FRHT setup all that much, so I lost the Dropper, 2.5's, Domain, and EA70 bars...got rid of 6lbs and made it a little more versatile as a trail bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    Still loving mine...and coincidentally, I'm running a Marzocchi AM1 on mine too. The next generation frames will be available soon, and were about $600 here in the US when I bought mine.
    nice

troubled economist

Dialled Alpine

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    Still loving mine, too. Great frame, it would be my vote. Running it w/ a Z1 Light (150mm) although I did originally have an AM1 on it (160mm), but the Z1 is a better fork...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No one has mentioned the Chameleon.....I hear they are built tough enough to drop off the roof if you want..lol
    8 is great

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by NovakanX
    No one has mentioned the Chameleon.....I hear they are built tough enough to drop off the roof if you want..lol
    2 things against it.

1 It is mas produced

2 Doesnt cost enough

These guys have a bottomless pit of money the rest of us are normal.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No one has mentioned the Chameleon.....
    I did mention it earlier, but no one seems to have noticed... guess I should've posted a picture:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I did mention it earlier, but no one seems to have noticed... guess I should've posted a picture:

just don't think an ebbb belongs on an all mountain bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    just don't think an ebbb belongs on an all mountain bike
    Yeah, I think it's a shame that Santa Cruz went that route. They used to make them with conventional BBs. (I have one of those frames and really like it.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Im actually consitering trading my 2009 Trek 8500 frame for one if someone wants to go XC....whats wrong with the EBB? I would run it singlespeed so it would be better for me yes?
    8 is great

mtbr member
    ..I had a (new version) chameleon for a year....and never had problems with the EBB...especially no creaking.....
    but ....the bigger sizes ( L and XL, ) used to ?? have bottle bosses on the seattube....so lowering the seattube for steep,tight, technical decents is extremly limited---especially if somebody chooses a slightly ( too) small frame and needs a long seatpost like I did...

I wear two thongs
    I'm loving my Jamis Komodo with a Lyric Coil U-turn (115-160). The frame was cheap, it seems pretty solid and its overall really fun to ride. I like the short chainstay too, seems to add to its playfulness:

Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What aboout the Ironhorse Yakuza. I know there is a general hatred of them now, but the older yakuza hardtails can pretty much do whatever you want them to. I have used mine for everything from pumptrack, dh racing, to endurance racing. As well as it being my everyday ride. If you can find one of those in your size it is a good way to go. Little heavy though. but the geometry and strength are spot on

mtbr member
    Im actually consitering trading my 2009 Trek 8500 frame for one if someone wants to go XC....whats wrong with the EBB? I would run it singlespeed so it would be better for me yes?
    they have a tendancy to creak. i prefer sliding dropouts for ss, but that's just my personal preferance. i also prefer steel over aluminum, but again that's just my opinion

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    jdr6031,
    Have a pref. for tire size(s) that you'd be able to run? It's all about clearance, Clarence....
    Dunno the specs on everything mentioned so far frame wise on this thread, But, as Scrublover will tell you.... you prob. wouldn't want to buy anything that couldn't at least comfortably run a 2.5.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

The Sentinel

No doubt...

...but those Z1 Lights are harder to find than chicken's teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by toowacky
    ...the Z1 is a better fork...
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Another One

heres a custom

Quote Originally Posted by SC RockLobster
    heres a custom

badass!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    All sound like good choices. I have a 456 Summer waiting to be built up when I get the chance. So I'll know how let you know how it is.

"Veal is Real"

Members who have read this thread: 1