mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Hardtail to AM??

Is going from a XC hardtail to an AM Rig too big of a switch? I've been out of the MTB scene for awhile but I'm really intrigued with the new AM category. I'm wondering though if this will be too big of a transition for me from a hardtail set up. I don't plan on doing any more of the grueling 12 mile plus fire road hill climbs. I just want a fun do anything type bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanminded
    Is going from a XC hardtail to an AM Rig too big of a switch? I've been out of the MTB scene for awhile but I'm really intrigued with the new AM category. I'm wondering though if this will be too big of a transition for me from a hardtail set up. I don't plan on doing any more of the grueling 12 mile plus fire road hill climbs. I just want a fun do anything type bike.
    Nope. You should be fine. In fact, you'll probably have a lot more fun. The only real advantage I see in XC/hardtails over longer travel AM bikes (besides price) is that they are more efficient to pedal, thus making XC rigs "faster." This is obviously very important if you're racing. But if you're not, who cares? The advantages you'll gain with an AM rig far outweigh the efficiency you may loose (in my opinion). Besides, AM designs have come a long way, and higher end models are surprisingly just as efficient pedalers/climbers.

Made in Canada
    There's no reason to ditch the HT to ride an AM bike. There's tons of awesome AM oriented frames out there, thus getting the benefit of durability and performance without losing pedalling efficiency and the feel and simplicity of an HT bike. Personally I'm a believer in HTs, I love the way they ride. Check out bikes like Banshee Scirocco (even Viento) and Santa Cruz Chemeleon for some awesome (IMO) AM HT frames.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpm7
    There's no reason to ditch the HT to ride an AM bike. There's tons of awesome AM oriented frames out there, thus getting the benefit of durability and performance without losing pedalling efficiency and the feel and simplicity of an HT bike. Personally I'm a believer in HTs, I love the way they ride. Check out bikes like Banshee Scirocco (even Viento) and Santa Cruz Chemeleon for some awesome (IMO) AM HT frames.
    Right. I agree 100%. But he didn't ask whether or not he "should ditch hard tails." He asked if it would be "too big of a switch." From how I interpreted the question, it sounds like he has made up his mind to go full-suspension, and is asking if an AM bike would be "too much bike" for him. It that respect, NO, I do not think an AM full-suspension bike would be too much of a transition. However, stay away from the serious freeride/downhill for now until you have more experience riding that style.

Finally, I suggest riding several bikes before committing to anything. I suppose this goes without saying, a FS AM bike has a much different feel than an XC hardtail, so make sure it's what you want before committing...

plasma donor
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanminded
    There are threads dedicated to AM hardtails in this folder. So you CAN go AM and still have the familiarity of a HT. There are AM rigs that are built closer to the XC end of the spectrum, and AM rigs that are built more towards the FR end and, then there are bikes built more towards DJ and urban riding. Just be realistic about the kind of riding you are likely to be doing, and you'll be fine.

While AM is a specific target, it's still little more than a marketing ploy because there is no real industry standards dictating what constitutes an AM rig.

rides with camera
    I went from hardtail to rear suspension last season , I had alot of fun on the rear suspension bike but did notice my skills start to deteriorate slightly .The full suspension bike will climb just about anything , all you have to do is point it in one direction and it will climb roots , rocks and whatever else the trail throws at it. I do like the HT cause of the challenge of technical climbs , which is why I just ordered another . Are you keeping the Ht ? It`s nice having the diversity .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

:\ ping of death

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by tpm7
    Check out bikes like Banshee Scirocco
    +1

Scirocco = XC/AM/FR
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?