Thread: Hardtail

mtbr member

Hardtail

Brilliant article by Seb Kemp. Dig:

This is my bike. It is rad, simply rad. Call it a hardtail if you must, but truly this is just a very capable, all-terrain, all-mountain, all-seasons, all-weather, all of the above, all-purpose, all-around, all-aboard, all-inclusive, all-hell-breaks-loose, all-star, all manner of brilliance, bicycle.

Even if you don’t own a hardtail I’m sure you already understand some of the benefits of having one – easy to clean, reliable, lower maintenance, cheaper, less grease, fewer creaks, less stress – but there a few more reasons to own a hardtail than you might realize.

Elimination of geek science
    If you turn up to a group ride or bump into another rider at a lonely trailhead the likelihood of you being bored to death with inane banter about some element of “science” is vastly reduced.

This is because other riders believe anyone who rides a hardtail is:
    A) A newbie
    B) A little bit “special”
    C) Poor
    D) Terribly naive

They won’t try and coax you into a conversation about digital telemetry, coefficient drag rates, leverage snakes and other such nonsense they read on the back of a catalog or in some ridiculous forum. They’ll think you don’t have the capacity to comprehend that level of cerebral stimulation or that you probably just just don’t care.

This is good, now you can ride in peace.

full article here: Friday Five:hardtail

If you haven't already, also check out his video "the escape" from his trip around BC earlier this year ... more good stuff: the escape on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Good read, thanks for posting. I started mountain biking in recent years so I don't have the "back to the roots" thing, but I followed a similar progression in a very short time period.

I bought my first mountain bike (2002 Hardrock) in spring 2009. I did a small amount of trail riding and was hooked. My Hardrock was retired to commuting duty and I picked up a 2008 Diamondback Misison 3 in spring 2010. I rode my DB a ton in 2010 and spring of 2011. That's when I realized it wasn't quite right for my riding conditions and the people I ride with and it just didn't click for me.

Enter the Ragley Blue Pig! I stripped the Mission and swapped everything to a shiny new Blue Pig. I have been riding it ever since and I am really enjoying it! It has made some things easier (more efficient, easier to clean, etc), but it made technical trails harder - or different. This has lead to a large increase in my abilities that I'm just not sure would have happened on the Mission with it's 6" of full squish. The steel AM HT is super efficient climbing, tough, awesome on the downhills, flickable, and just plain fun!

I'm at the point I'd like to again pick up a full suspension bike for longer trail rides, but I see a steel HT being in my stable for the long haul.

undercover brother
    The way he describes the look of the frame is exactly how I feel about my transam. There is just something about the look of an aggressive steel hardtail frame. The lines are so smooth, and there aren't screaming loud marketing graphics plastered all over the frame. One of the best things about riding a hardtail is YOU know when you picked the wrong line, the can be unforgiving and relentless, but it will teach you proper technique and body english, rather than barreling down and letting the suspension do all the work.

Over the Hill
    He is a legend in his own mind. Pretty useless. I ride a hard tail, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Hardtail

Oooo... That's my next saddle for sure.

≈ > ♥
    I love my hardtail.

67 headtube, 73 seattube, burly, and sexy as fock.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    He is a legend in his own mind.
    Most writers are, that's what makes them put it out there.

I share a lot of his feelings about a hardtail, but don't get paid to write them down and would suck at it if I did.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Great article. I still love my steel hardtail. That thing gobbles up singletrack all day long without a single complaint. No creaks, no clunks, no flex. After a few months on it, I enjoy it more than any full suspension bike I've owned. Simple, steel, slack and fun.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Great article. I still love my steel hardtail. That thing gobbles up singletrack all day long without a single complaint. No creaks, no clunks, no flex. After a few months on it, I enjoy it more than any full suspension bike I've owned. Simple, steel, slack and fun.
    Definitely.

mtbr member

Re: Hardtail

Subscribed to hopefully see some action shots of this thing. Its my dream bike. I want!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred lagunas View Post
    Subscribed to hopefully see some action shots of this thing. Its my dream bike. I want!!
    Did you check out the video of his trip? the escape on Vimeo
    Some great riding in there and plenty of shots of the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    He is a legend in his own mind. Pretty useless. I ride a hard tail, too.
    Dude you just can't argue with the A, B, C, D points he makes about riding the hardtailz. At least that's if you really ride the said thing!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yesterday on the trail I was on my hardtail. Its nothing too special, but I am proud of the upgrades I made recently, dropping about 1 lb on the front wheel between the new tire and wheelset.

A guy comes flying by on his full sus bike and says, "nice bike!" I'm still debating in my head if he was being genuine or patronizing/sarcastic.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm usually pleasantly surprised how positive people are when you do and its not worth worrying about them if they're not!

Overheard two guys at Skeggs on very nice FS bikes comment to each other about the pair of nice hard tails we brought when they weren't aware we were in earshot. Mine was a '11 Hardrock with few upgrades and the other an older Fuji. Not great to my mind but apparently good enough to garner legitimate compliments. So there you go!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe3eb View Post
    A guy comes flying by on his full sus bike and says, "nice bike!" I'm still debating in my head if he was being genuine or patronizing/sarcastic.
    Genuine, you try riding fast and dreaming up insults at the same time, doesn't work at all.

How much further ???
    So true. I have been having so much fun on my TransAM 29er and I find I am riding faster than I ever have that Im actualy thinking of selling my RM Slayer. It creaks and has some odd knock in the drivetrain under pedaling load. As I think back Ive never had a FS that feels truely dialed.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain