I do enjoy my bicycle

Hardrock with more travel?

I have a hardrock that I ride and want to ride more AM style. I have a 100mm fork on it because thats the same travel it came with. I want to get a 140mm fork but don't want to over do it. Whats the most I can do it before it's to much. I know it will change the geometry but how much?
    I approve this message

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hardrock is not an am bike, and will handle like a pig if you put a 140 up front. If you want more travel, get a 120mm fork at most, anything else will screw up the geo and make it ride funky

mtbr member
    Talking to specialized is probably the only way to get a correct answer. With my bike, a 2010 fuji nevada 1.0, it came with a 80mm fork. I asked fuji if I could use a 110mm, and they said its ok, but don't go more than that. my fork has 90-130 of adjustable travel, and I've always kept it at 100mm. The 2011 nevada 1.0 comes with a 100mm fork, however the geometry is the same as my 2010, so...

the test dummy
    i ride with a kid that has a 130mm on his hard rock, it handles like a dream and feels like the bike was designed around a 130mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben