Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hanging Bike From Dropper Post?

I have a KIND SHOCK i900 dropper post and I have no other way to hang my bike on the work stand other than by the seat post. Is that going to cause problems? The bike weights 31lbs.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Are you referring to clamping/holding the bike by the post when it's extended? If so, I would first try and see if you could pull the post out just enough so that you'd be able to clamp it when the post isn't extended. This could be a pain doing it every time you put your bike in the stand, but I would think that clamping it while extended might lead to internal play of some sort.

I've been thinking about this too as my next bike will have a dropper post and I hang it in the stand all the time.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm talking about clamping on the part of the post that move up & down. I was going to hang it only with the post fully extended. I'm planning to put it in the stand for maintaince only.

mtbr member
    At least for the Reverb they tell you not to clamp it by the shaft, but rather pull out enough to clamp it by the outside surface (as Dougie said).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    At least for the Reverb they tell you not to clamp it by the shaft, but rather pull out enough to clamp it by the outside surface (as Dougie said).
    I agree, I always clamp by the outside rather than the inside shaft. If you accidently bump the bike while in the stand you may risk damaging a seal or bending the inner shaft or something.

mtbr member

Yakima Top Tube for Droppers

I had the same issue when I installed the CP Blacklite. I started thinking about making a custom bracket then saw one of these at my LBS and it works perfect. It even distributes the weight on the stand better than clamping to the seatpost. There are a few companies that make similar items, but I found the Yakima had the perfect tube diameter for the clamp and felt a little more sturdy than others I looked at.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    I had the same issue when I installed the CP Blacklite. I started thinking about making a custom bracket then saw one of these at my LBS and it works perfect. It even distributes the weight on the stand better than clamping to the seatpost. There are a few companies that make similar items, but I found the Yakima had the perfect tube diameter for the clamp and felt a little more sturdy than others I looked at.
    AWESOME!!! Thats what I need to do. Thats also the same frame I have. Do you have a part # for the Yakima?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azmxr177 View Post
    AWESOME!!! Thats what I need to do. Thats also the same frame I have. Do you have a part # for the Yakima?
    Never mind on the part #, found one on Craigslist for $20. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That looks the tube for hanging odd shape frames on rear racks. Great use for it here.

My Brain Hurts!
    That's what I was gonna say... I did that with my Trance. those crossbars are really quite the neat gizmos!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This could be a pain doing it every time you put your bike in the stand

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fultoejame View Post
    Better than the pain of having to buy a new dropper post if you wreck it in the clamp though.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by fultoejame View Post
    I suppose some could find it a pain to put a bike in a rack every time they get done riding.
    Maybe I should just throw mine on the ground outside the door when I get home.
    That would be easy.

BTW, doing it that way is probably easier than lining a seat tube up in a stand.

mtbr member
    Its not bad for a quick tune up & clean up, but if I were to take the bike apart or do a major job I'd put my fixed seat post in and hold it that way. It also works good if you have multiple bikes with different seat post diameters.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Been dealing with this for the last 7 years since I got a Gravity Dropper.

I clamp it on the top tube.

I hesitate to recommend this to others, because you can screw up your top tube if you over tighten it, or if you clamp it in the wrong place, and on some bikes with highly formed/curved top tubes, there might not even be a safe place to clamp. Also not sure about CF, all these bike have been AL.

I like the idea of using that Yakima thingy to go between the seat tube and the stem. I might look into that. I've been wanting one of those anyway for when I need to hang certain bikes on my car rack.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azmxr177 View Post
    Its not bad for a quick tune up & clean up, but if I were to take the bike apart or do a major job I'd put my fixed seat post in and hold it that way. It also works good if you have multiple bikes with different seat post diameters.
    I just raise the dropper post in the frame and clamp onto its lower body, since I have a cable for a remote that makes it a pain to remove the post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    I just raise the dropper post in the frame and clamp onto its lower body, since I have a cable for a remote that makes it a pain to remove the post.
    I use a few cheap seatposts for clamping bikes with dropper posts, if it's got a remote I still pull if out the seat tube and let it dangle over the back of the work stand, leaving the remote in place. Occasionally hold it (the dropper post) still with a couple of rubber bands.

Never damaged a dropper post yet and it saves a whole load of hassle finding a new place to clamp to.

Not sure what I'll do when the inevitable Reverb stealth comes into my hands...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I usually will never hang my bike by my reverb, especially if it's not fully extended.
    The best thing to do is open up the clamp on your bike stand and clamp it to the top tube!

mtbr member
    Ive been clamping multiple ks post by the top tube for years with no issues. If the post can handle the loads put on it with my 210 lb ass on it day in and day out it can certainly handle the weight of the bike in the stand. Has anyone actually damaged their post by doing so or it it just a fear that it could damage it? I say as long as the clamp on your stand has a nice rubber surface that won't scratch the surface it's not an issue.

mtn pirate
    May 2006
    How about transporting to the trail using a trunk mount carrier that hangs the bike by the seatpost? Any problems with that if you make sure to have it fully extended before putting it up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcydemtnbiker View Post
    How about transporting to the trail using a trunk mount carrier that hangs the bike by the seatpost? Any problems with that if you make sure to have it fully extended before putting it up?
    I know the seatpost takes plenty of abuse while riding, but I prefer not having any extra stress on the post while transporting or working on it. A $30 Yakima bar is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new adjustable post so I error on the side of caution and use it.

mtbr member
    I have my frame adaptor resting right under the seat unlike the seat clamp in the pic. It's basically lifting the bike by the rear seat. Do you think this would be okay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    I have my frame adaptor resting right under the seat unlike the seat clamp in the pic. It's basically lifting the bike by the rear seat. Do you think this would be okay?
    I would be a little hesitant to transport like that because of the upwards impact every time you hit a bump in the road. They are designed to take downward impact but I'm not sure of upward impact from the weight of the bike hanging and bouncing. Your call.

mtbr member
    I would be a little hesitant to transport like that because of the upwards impact every time you hit a bump in the road. They are designed to take downward impact but I'm not sure of upward impact from the weight of the bike hanging and bouncing. Your call.
    Not transporting it that way, using a Thule T2. Just hanging it on the wall when storing or on the repair stand.

Hmm, will have to rethink this.

Biking Like Crazy!
    I've had a GD and Joplin 3 and now 2 Joplin 4's that I have been transporting
    with the adaptor type bars with no issues in 3+ years.
    I just make sure the posts are extended first and use bungee cords hooked to the hitch to keep the bike from swinging to much.
    Don't know anything about the other brands of seatposts though.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast