Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtn pirate
    May 2006
    So you're clamping the bar below the post clamp? Is that what you're saying?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcydemtnbiker View Post
    So you're clamping the bar below the post clamp? Is that what you're saying?
    If you are referring to my post, I hang the bike with the bike adaptor under the stem and seat unlike the picture of the bike in the work stand. I'd be afraid of the adaptor
    slipping past the seat clamp and the bike dropping it's weight on the seat.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    I had the same issue when I installed the CP Blacklite. I started thinking about making a custom bracket then saw one of these at my LBS and it works perfect. It even distributes the weight on the stand better than clamping to the seatpost. There are a few companies that make similar items, but I found the Yakima had the perfect tube diameter for the clamp and felt a little more sturdy than others I looked at.
    Just what I am looking for. Was having the same issues after fitting a dropper.

mtbr member
    I'm bumping this thread to get some more ideas on the best way to mount a bike in a stand with a dropper.
    I've got a stealth so I can't remove it to use a dummy post. I've got a carbon frame so I'm hesitant to clamp the frame.

I took it to a shop and they said to lightly clamp the top (inner) part of the post so that the bike is basically hanging with the weight pulling up on the saddle.

I've also heard to clamp the lower part of the post but the guy at the shop said to never do that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'm bumping this thread to get some more ideas on the best way to mount a bike in a stand with a dropper.
    I've got a stealth so I can't remove it to use a dummy post. I've got a carbon frame so I'm hesitant to clamp the frame.

I took it to a shop and they said to lightly clamp the top (inner) part of the post so that the bike is basically hanging with the weight pulling up on the saddle.

I've also heard to clamp the lower part of the post but the guy at the shop said to never do that.
    Well, if the post option is out and the frame is a no-go, then I don't see a whole lot of other options. What is it about the top tube extender that doesn't work for you? I've been using my for a few years now and works perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    Well, if the post option is out and the frame is a no-go, then I don't see a whole lot of other options. What is it about the top tube extender that doesn't work for you? I've been using my for a few years now and works perfect.
    The top tube extender is definitely an option, except I don't have one (yet).
    I was also wondering how that helps, since you have to clamp the extender on to the frame or the post also, right?

I guess the question is if it is ok to clamp to the top of the dropper, or the bottom, or both, or neither, before I go out and buy an extender. They aren't expensive, but I've already got a lot of clutter in my garage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just don't hang the bike without the dropper fully extended. Hang it from the upper portion, if its stealth or ks. If it's an older reverb, you need to pull some post out of the frame, and clamp to the lower portion. It is designed to take clamping forces, as its where you tighten the seat clamp. Don't clamp the seal head portion, you can deform it.
    It goes without saying, don't over tighten the stand clamp. Again, do not over tighten the stand clamp. I have seen way too many people thing the clamp needs your whole body weight to close. (Park).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Steve

for routine cleanup and maintenance (drivetrain lube etc) - i slide the nose of my saddle in to "jaws" of my bike stand - do my work and done - basically the front wheel is on the ground - and i can lift/spin it as necessary to clean rotor etc...

not "optimal" if you plan to get into major stuff - but works well for me as a simpleton garage mech.

when I take my bike to shop - they usually hang it from stand by nose of saddle... have not clamped to dropper post or tubes - again - this has been for more "routine" needs -

i've used my bike rack top tube adapter a couple of times - but found for what Im doing hanging by saddle nose works just fine

i will not transport my bike using the adapter/old rack - its been laying down in back of 4runner... which is limiting etc... unless Im solo to the trailhead

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    The top tube extender is definitely an option, except I don't have one (yet).
    I was also wondering how that helps, since you have to clamp the extender on to the frame or the post also, right?

I guess the question is if it is ok to clamp to the top of the dropper, or the bottom, or both, or neither, before I go out and buy an extender. They aren't expensive, but I've already got a lot of clutter in my garage.
    I have a Yakima tube top that I use to hang my bike both from the rack on the spare tire of my Jeep, and my work stand.

I'm not a big fan of having it rub on the stanchion of my KS Lev dropper post, or having the saddle rest on it--Seems like that would lead to problems with the post.

Fortunately, the textured 'knob' where the stanchion goes into the rest of the seat post is just big enough that the tube top catches on it, and supports the weight of the bike. It has worked great for me for over a year, the only time I take the tube top off the bike is when I'm riding it. It's also nice, because it keeps the front wheel aligned when in the stand.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2