mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Handlebar/stem post

Ok everyone please help before I keep spending money?? Lol. I'm 6"1 200 pounds and my current trek carbon fuel 9.7 stock handle bars stem are not cutting it for me.. I feel like I'm almost in a push up position. My shoulder triceps get fatigue riding long distance. A few article state I should get a ajustable stem and rise the bar a few degrees in which I did and made a huge difference but that stem only lasted 2 months.. My question is which is a good handle bar/ stem combo to rise up carbon or not to rise my handle bars up and make me feel more erect ( no ****) lol... ????

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cockpit setups end up being a personal thing but ever since I made the move to 50mm stems and 780mm wide bars I have loved it. I am 5'9" so I'm not exactly a big dude but I do have broader shoulders.You may need to experiment with stem length a little depending on your personal preferences and most likely a higher rise bar since short stems typically don't have that much rise. I say a higher rise bar simply because of your height and your "feel like I'm almost in a pushup position" comment. Another thing to consider is how much steerer tube you have left. Can you raise your stem by placing a few spacers under it? I always leave a little extra steerer tube in case down the road I feel like trying something different. Here are a few pics of my current setup. Only changes from the photos are a different saddle and a Command Post. Hope that helps a little
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handlebar/stem post-img_6731-copy-copy.jpg  

Handlebar/stem post-img_6732-copy.jpg  

Handlebar/stem post-img_6736-copy.jpg  

Handlebar/stem post-img_6737-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    First off ur bike looks awesome! I was thinking the same thing, a shorter stem with a 5 degree rise and I saw these handle bars that have a 9 degree sweep back and a 5 degree up sweep rise.. Maybe that should help me out!! I just don't want to feel that all my weight is on my upper body

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks Jmo. Any bike shop that is serious about helping you out should be more than happy to let you experiment with different setups until you figure out what works best for you. Just be sure you buy the parts from that shop or else that would be seriously ******. You may end up spending a little bit more than what you would if purchased online but at least that way you are not spending money hoping you like the set up you purchased online. So I guess in that aspect you actually may end up saving some money by not purchasing something you end up not liking.

B.Ike
    What about getting a stem that has the same rise as the adjustable one you broke?
    New bars with a different back/up sweep will make a difference in how your wrist and hands feel, but if they have the same width and rise, your body position wont change much. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The thing is I can't find a stem with that much rise. I had it almost 20 degrees.. Highest I've seen is 10

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    don't forget the handlebar can also be twisted/rotated forward and backward to have varying back sweep and up sweep!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    a good set of riser bars would help. I cant ride much anything lower than 25mm with a 6* stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What length stem do you ride now? Shortening the cockpit can help with posture but so can raising the bars. a really low front end is great for climbing but i know how you feel. When the front is too low it isnt fun. There is a balance between too low and too high - you want to be comfy but still able to drive the front end into the turns. Syncros makes a stem with a 12 deg rise I think. Check Jenson for some OE stems or maybe even eBay so you can try some different options on the cheap.

Next, try finding some used cheap bars to start experimenting. Or, If your LBS has lots of bars for you to demo then go that route. I have no shops in my area that could cater to a request like that so I ended up looking for bargain bars. Wide bars are awesome but you need to keep your trails in mind when selecting your width. I'd love to try 750's but I can barely squeeze between some trees with my 725's. also, wide bars will counter-act your shortening of the stem so make small incremental changes.

Not just posting to hoc my stuff but I have a 710mm syncros bar with a 40 or 50mm rise that I bought as a fitting experiment. Let me know if you want to try them. They are heavy but served their purpose when I was doing my own fitting work.

B.Ike
    ^^good advice.
    Over the years I've dialed in a cockpit that I try to copy from bike to bike, not so much for performance but for comfort, especially past the 2hr mark. I keep my grips even with the bars and the reach at about the same distance (this last is flexible based on stem length and bar width). Any variation is noticeable in either my neck, my back or my hands.