Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Handlebar grips and slipping off

I am having problems with my grips slipping off my bars. I have SRAM gripshift so I would need some shorter grips. Anyone have any suggestions? Would lock on grips work well? Are they available?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Or...

ODI Lizard Skin Shorty Lock-On Grips 100049147 at Cambriabike
    Lock-on grips specifically designed for twist shifters.

If you don't get lock-on grips, the best way is to spray some hairspray on the bars before you mount the grips. When it dries they'll stick and shouldn't turn.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Or...

If you don't get lock-on grips, the best way is to spray some hairspray on the bars before you mount the grips. When it dries they'll stick and shouldn't turn.
    this^
    GIANT TALON 27.5, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

Former Bike Wrench
    ESI Chunckies, trimmed to size...will not slip on bars, will not slip on hands
    ESI SILICONE GRIPS

mtbr member
    If you prefer a softer grip or are trying to save money you can go with regular Oury's trim to fit then hair spray, then wire them. rebar twist ties work fine although I am currently using some random wire I found in the garage lol!
    I've used this method for years and after trying lockon's they just didn't have the feel of regular Oury's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    I've used this method for years and after trying lockon's they just didn't have the feel of regular Oury's.
    My good man, that's because you haven't see these: 2011 Oury Lock-on Grips, Black - Competitive Cyclist

Oh BTW, I use a bit of carbon friction paste under mine.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    ESI SILICONE GRIPS
    Trimmed ESI chunky's FTW

mtbr member
    i like my odi rogue mucho

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sounds craz but toothpaste works too.

Jason
    I have the ODU Lizard Skin shorties. Awesome grips!

Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Or you could buy some Gorilla Glue and glue em on. Go REALLY lightly on the stuff though, **** does expand.

aka Willy Vanilly
    I run Grip Shift as well and have had problems finding suitable length grips. A lot of the lock on options are for trigger shifters and the grip shift versions seem ridiculously short to me. Also, I didn't really like the feel of the lock on rings in the outside of my hand.

Like Carverboy, I usually just buy normal grips, cut them to the length I want, then hairspray and/or wire them on. I've been using Oury's with high gauge wire with good success (can't feel the thinner wire and the grooves between the paddles on the Oury grips makes wiring them down very convenient). Good luck
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Hairspray is for more than just looking GREATTT

Uncle
    Bump - which direction do open-ended non-locking grips go on?

My new grips are open on both ends, and each grip has little ridges around the i.d. on one end only. Do the ridges go inboard or outboard?
    Thanks.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    i use odi rogue shorty grip and i had an extra grip lock ring between the gris and the shifter for extra lenght.
    another thing that can work is to use a lock on grip like the shimano(pro) that use a lock ring on only one side, just cut the other side to desired lenght.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    ESI SILICONE GRIPS
    +1 here!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    +1 on the esi silicone grips-- though i go for da chunky.. I used the odi lockon grips for a few years and my hands were getting soooo sore after a ride... Changed to the esi's and things are feeling better.. Though i will say-- the esi's can get a bit slick if they get wet.. Not so much you would slip off-- but still-- its a bit slick.. But i like them none the less..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    First of all I don't like lock-on grips since about half the diameter gets wasted by a chunk of rigid plastic and whatever is left is just for the grip rubber it self.

So I developed a little method (well I did it for motorcycles many years ago, but I work just the same for bicycles)

Actually safety wire is really old, is been used on the aircraft industry for many decades, what I figure out is how to use just a single strand of safety wire so you don't get your finger poke.

Is a really simple trick, much stronger than glue and when you need to take the grips out just cut the wire and they come right out.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    First of all I don't like lock-on grips since about half the diameter gets wasted by a chunk of rigid plastic and whatever is left is just for the grip rubber it self.

So I developed a little method (well I did it for motorcycles many years ago, but I work just the same for bicycles)

Actually safety wire is really old, is been used on the aircraft industry for many decades, what I figure out is how to use just a single strand of safety wire so you don't get your finger poke.

Is a really simple trick, much stronger than glue and when you need to take the grips out just cut the wire and they come right out.
    Oh come now! How many years have you been twisting safety wire? Try suggesting something we can get right in a couple of hours. Tell us how long you have been doing this.

Very craftsman, dude. I like it, but don't think I could make it look that neat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Oh come now! How many years have you been twisting safety wire? Try suggesting something we can get right in a couple of hours. Tell us how long you have been doing this.

Very craftsman, dude. I like it, but don't think I could make it look that neat.
    Actually you don't even need the pliers, the master aircraft guys do it by hand (the are suppose to count the amount of turns per inch by regulation)

My self about 12 years but I'm far from a expert, try it on is actually really easy and fast (10 minutes tops for the two grips)

Here is another good trick to keep does pesky chainring bolts from coming off.
    Last edited by patineto; 11-19-2012 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have you washed the grips with dishwasher soap? Try it. Wash with brush, and let it dry, and alcohol clean the bar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can use alcohol on the bar and grip as you install. When the alcohol evaporates you should be good to go. Hairpspay is an option as well. I've switched over to lock-on grips exclusively. A little more expensive, but none of the headaches.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    odi rogue lock on FTW!

They are like little miniature pillows with kung fu grip.
    Transition Covert FTW

No Stranger to danger....
    We are in the year 2012, get some lock ons......
    The odi rogues are a much better option that those big heavy ourys with wire around them above, the Rogues are pillow soft, easy to put on n pull off, they have a nice no weight end cap, man lookin at this thread youd think we were still livin in the 80s, get with the times trendsetters lol.......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast