13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner
    Will it work on one?

Thanks

as long as you have ISCG tabs on your frame it should work...you will then have a 2 speed bike

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc
    as long as you have ISCG tabs on your frame it should work...you will then have a 2 speed bike
    If your bike doesn't have ISCG tabs, this ISCG tab adapter from e.13 looks like it would work.

http://www.ebikestop.com/e13_iscg_ad...ate-CH1245.php

http://www.e13components.com/product_iscg.html
    Last edited by derby; 02-16-2009 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    In order to run the Hammerschmidt, you need ISCG tabs on the frame. It will not work with an adaptor due to the torque from the crank. The tabs are what keeps the whole system from twisting. You also need to run the Hammerschmidt specific BB. It will work just as well with a single speed rear as it does with a multi-gear rear. I just put one on my bike and I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can really test it out!!

QUOTE=derby]If your bike doesn't have ISCG tabs, this ISCG tab adapter from e.13 looks like it would work if you use an external BB.

http://www.ebikestop.com/e13_iscg_ad...ate-CH1245.php

http://www.e13components.com/product_iscg.html[/QUOTE]
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

Huh?
    Why is the torque from the cranks greater?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc
    A very expensive 2 speed bike...

mtbr member
    I am not sure what your question is, but here is a short answer to what I think you are asking. The Hammerschmidt is a drive train not just a crank. When it is in 1:1 mode it would work fine with an adaptor, but when you put it in overdrive, the gear system needs something secure to keep the whole system from rotating. That is why you need ISCG tabs integrated into the frame. Those adaptors are just meant to mount chain guide systems that do not apply any rotational forces at the BB. If the adaptor was welded to the frame, it would work.

I hope this answer's your question.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    Why is the torque from the cranks greater?

Huh?
    Thanks. I'm fairly certain I understand it now. While I'm not sure if my bike has ISCG tabs, the tabs and the added or perceived drag in the overdrive mode just makes it a smart move to wait for Bionicon's/Nicolai's B-Boxx.

mtbr member
    Look at the BB shell on the drive side. If you see three tabs with bolt holes, then your bike has ISCG tabs. You will need them to mount the B-Boxx or the Hammerschmidt.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/german-...n-join-forces/

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    Thanks. I'm fairly certain I understand it now. While I'm not sure if my bike has ISCG tabs, the tabs and the added or perceived drag in the overdrive mode just makes it a smart move to wait for Bionicon's/Nicolai's B-Boxx.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob1775
    In order to run the Hammerschmidt, you need ISCG tabs on the frame. It will not work with an adaptor due to the torque from the crank. The tabs are what keeps the whole system from twisting. You also need to run the Hammerschmidt specific BB. It will work just as well with a single speed rear as it does with a multi-gear rear. I just put one on my bike and I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can really test it out!!
    I haven't done it or seen the HS in person so it's only my speculation of course.

The ISCG adapter shouldn't twist at all without a ton of torque using a common BB. It appears designed to replace one of the spacers.

Maybe the e.thirteen ISCG adapter could be keyed with the BB shell, or the special HS BB face to the BB shell, so it wouldn't twist if the HS torque at the BB is extreme.

e.thirteen Tech Support could possibly help make it work.

(I edited the post above. It fits any BB with standard "English tread".)

mtbr member
    It is funny how people give advice on forums based on speculation.

"I haven't done it or seen the HS in person so it's only my speculation of course."

Good luck keying the BB shell with an adaptor. I hope you never need your frame warrantied since that would void it. Here is some advice from someone who manages a bike shop and owns and has installed a Hammerschmidt. Use it on a frame that has ISCG tabs. It would suck to spend all that money on a Hammerschmidt and try to mickey mouse it onto your frame only to find out that you should have followed the advice of the manufacturer.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I haven't done it or seen the HS in person so it's only my speculation of course.

The ISCG adapter shouldn't twist at all without a ton of torque using a common BB. It appears designed to replace one of the spacers.

Maybe the e.thirteen ISCG adapter could be keyed with the BB shell, or the special HS BB face to the BB shell, so it wouldn't twist if the HS torque at the BB is extreme.

e.thirteen Tech Support could possibly help make it work.

(I edited the post above. It fits any BB with standard "English tread".)

fan of maple syrup
    From the Hammerschmidt user manual located here:
    http://magicmechanics.com/hammerschm...idtEnglish.pdf
    Non-compatibility
    Do not mount HammerSchmidt to an ISCG adapter device. ISCG adapters do not provide enough structural integrity to handle the weight and loads applied by HammerSchmidt. ISCG adapters are only intended as a means to mount chain guide devices to non-ISCG frames; make sure you keep it that way.
    Doesn't mean you couldn't try though I guess. Looking at it, I don't reckon it would work.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob1775
    It is funny how people give advice on forums based on speculation.

"I haven't done it or seen the HS in person so it's only my speculation of course."

Good luck keying the BB shell with an adaptor. I hope you never need your frame warrantied since that would void it. Here is some advice from someone who manages a bike shop and owns and has installed a Hammerschmidt. Use it on a frame that has ISCG tabs. It would suck to spend all that money on a Hammerschmidt and try to mickey mouse it onto your frame only to find out that you should have followed the advice of the manufacturer.

Jeff
    Sorry for the creative thinking. It's just the engineer in me.

Edit, added: Keying the adapter is a bad idea. To the OP, I wouldn't give up so easily to find a way.
    Last edited by derby; 02-17-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Its got what plants crave
    Yeah, I think you'd be applying tons of force to the threads of your BB shell if you try to redneck engineer it to work on a non-ISCG frame. You'd probably strip out your frame and be up fecal creek.

Captain Underpants
    Will it work? no. Especially not without tabs.

Go have someone build you a frame with tabs if that is what you want.

mtbr member
    SRAM definitely do not recommend using the Hammer with an adapter due to the torque matter as stated above.

mtbr member
    In the right up on Pinkbike Sram even sells a machining die for manufactures to ensure the ISCG tab and BB are perfectly perpendicular.

The Hammer's BB installed.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

mtbr member
    Is the goal here to create an ultra expensive, under useful bicycle?
    I dont care if you disagree with me. If your ok with being wrong thats fine with me.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    How has Jayem not responded to this thread yet????