mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail Review

Ive got about 20 rides on my 27.5 Megatrail now so its time for a review. Trails ridden include Snow Summit, Car Wreck, Rock-it, Lizard, Rattlesnake, Oakley Trails, the jump line at Temecula, and The Luge.

Rider specs: 50, 62, 245lbs with gear, intermediate.

Bike Specs:
    Frame: Large, 650B, in raw aluminum
    Shock: Started with CC DBinline Air but switched to CCDB CS as my weight put me near the max PSI on the DBinline Air (245lbs/250psi)
    Fork: 160mm Pike Dual Position Air
    Headset Cane Creek 110
    Handlebar: Started with Race Face Turbine, switched to SIXC 20mm rise to stretch out the cockpit (800mm wide)
    Stem: Atlas 35 x 50mm
    Grips: Race Face Half Nelson. Switched out for ODI Kyle Strait because the Half Nelson slipped on the bar, and then started to fall apart after two crashes.
    Brakes: Shimano XT 180mm/203mm
    Drivetrain: 1x11, Turbine 175mm cranks, 32t Narrow/Wide, 42t Guerrilla Gravity B.F.C.
    Pedals: Canfield Bros. Crampon Ultimate
    Rims: Light-Bicycle Carbon 35mm Hookless
    Hubs: Hadley
    Tires: Hans Dampf 2.35 front, Nobby Nic 2.25 rear for everyday, HRII rear for gnar
    Saddle: Race Face Aeffect
    Seatpost: KS Super Natural
    Weight with Nobby Nic on the back is just over 31lbs.

Whats unique about the Megatrail:
    Made in the USA. Has three modes: Trail (150mm), Gravity (160mm) and Super Gravity (160mm). Each setting feels like a different bike. In Trail Mode, it climbs very well, and still gobbles downhill. In Gravity Mode the head angle gets slacker, the bottom bracket drops, and it rides like a downhill bike that you can still pedal uphill. Changing between modes requires a 6mm hex wrench and 30 seconds to change shock mount holes. I have not tried it in Super Gravity mode yet and mostly ride in Trail Mode unless Im taking a lift to the top.

The Megatrail Experience:
    This is one of the nicest, most satisfying things Ive owned. Coming off a Large 2006 Giant Reign (Pushd) there is no comparison. I started off planning to get a carbon fiber frame and rented and rode the Process 134, Process 153, Santa Cruz Bronson, Santa Cruz 5010, Trance, Trance SX, and Rocky Mountain Altitude. I read some reviews of the Megatrail and one of their customers was nice enough to let me test ride his medium frame. It took me four hours to drive to him but after 30 minutes on the bike I was sold.

The order and spec process with GG was enjoyable with the high-level of service youd expect for a custom build.

I like carbon, but Im glad I chose aluminum. This bike inspires me to ride much more aggressively than I had before. Ive had some pretty epic crashes and every time I do I just dust the bike off, buff out the scratches and soldier on. I put a gouge in the top tube that would have required a repair in carbon, but it just adds character to the Megatrail. Meanwhile my buddy is looking for a new frame to replace the carbon S-Works Enduro he just cracked. His Enduro weighs 5lbs less than my Megatrail, but all the same hes considering the Megatrail as a replacement. In a perfect world Id have a carbon 5010 and a Megatrail, but since I have to choose one its the Megatrail.

The frame is seriously stiff, more so than the carbon bikes I tried. And thats good because at my weight most frames are pushing their limits on high-G corners. Not any more though.

I was a little worried that this bike would be too much travel for where I ride (Orange County) but it turns out to be just right for how I ride. It climbs as well or better than all of the bikes I tested in terms of traction (cant do anything about the weight) and it absolutely crushes them on the downhill. Wheelies and manuals are easy, it rails corners, its very stable in the air, and brilliant in rock gardens. Its happiest at speed but plenty flickable for slow, tight singletrack. But for sure, if you climb to go down this is the bike for you.

Negatives:
    This is subjective, but Ive got a background in design and the logos look subpar to me. The frame is sick though and I get more questions about this bike than any of the others I demoed.

Im not loving the Nobby Nic on the 35mm rim, its squishy and rolls in corners even at 32psi. Could be the rim width, my weight, or both, but Ill replace it with an Ardent or something else. The LB rims are good to go though.

The Crampon pedals are nice, but a bit narrow for my 13W feet, and as a result Ive been thrashing the sides of my 5.10 Freeriders. Ill keep them on though, they work and they look sick, hopefully that will offset the duct tape Im going to have to wrap my shoes with.

Congratulations to the crew at Guerrilla Gravity, nice work all the way around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail Review-megatrail_downhill_corner_lrz.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail Review-megatrail-4_lrez.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail Review-megatrail_1.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail Review-megatrail-7_lrz.jpg  

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Thanks for three write up. You have piqued my interest. Do you you use the climb switch? If yes, what conditions?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I just got my megatrail and its awesome. I like everything about it, including the logos. Ive only had it out on two rides but I'm really impressed with it. Im surprised you feel that way about the tires, I've tried running that high of pressure and I'm not sure i like it. I let some air out and it will feel great, when i get home I'm at like 24 pounds. Im about 220-230 pounds maybe more with gear. New to the tubeless so ill figure that out maybe both my gauges are messed up. Your review was one of the ones that influenced me and the guy who's bike you rode. So thanks.

I use the climb switch on mine on the longer smoother climbs. It really isn't necessary as the megatrail has almost no pedal bob as far as i can tell in the trail mode.

mtbr member
    Nice review, man! Long-ish travel trail bikes are getting more and more capable in both directions these days. I feel the same way about aluminum...no worries on the trail.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Great review! This frame is on my very short list of possibilities for when I build my next bike. Haven't heard a single bad thing about it so far, and it seems like a really cool company to support as well.

mtbr member

I'd love a compare-o with a Canfield Balance.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post

+1^^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Balance looks nice too. If I could have found one to demo I would have considered it. The Process 153 seemed like a good value too, especially if you get one discounted...not as stiff and didn't go up or down as well as the Megatrail, but I liked it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Thanks for three write up. You have piqued my interest. Do you you use the climb switch? If yes, what conditions?
    I use it for long fire road uphills. The Megatrail is pretty efficient without it on, so it mainly gets used when I'm tired and have to spin up for awhile. We have lot's of short, steep, rocky uphills here, and I like shock wide open for those. The dual-position Pike is nice to have though.

mtbr member
    Get a Butcher Grid up front I have them on DERBY hoops they work very well. I have not posted pics of my MEGA but will soon!

mtbr member
    Stay tuned. Even after a couple near misses I'm intent on hooking up with Lance sometime this winter for a test ride.

Thanks for the review of the Megatrail, cobaltquano? Anything to add as far as long term durability or maintenance?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Stay tuned. Even after a couple near misses I'm intent on hooking up with Lance sometime this winter for a test ride.

Thanks for the review of the Megatrail, cobaltquano? Anything to add as far as long term durability or maintenance?
    Nice! Be sure to include important details such as which color rockers to get.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox