Thread: GT Force Sizing

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

GT Force Sizing

Has anyone ridden the 2013 Force 1.0? I'm between a medium and a large. Almost all the bikes I ride are mediums, but when I look at the sizing chart, it looks like I can ride a large. I'm 5'10 with a 31-32" inseam and have relatively long arms. I'm about 170lbs.

Any thoughts? I understand the larger size will take the downhills a bit more stable and may be better for pedal extension; however I'm wondering if the medium will be better for tight singletrack and the trail features (drops, jumps, etc.).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a medium Force LE. I am 5'8", 155lbs and 30 inseam. That may not help you at all but it fits me like a glove. Top tube is basically at my crotch though but it feels nice when in the saddle. It may feel a little cramped with a few more inches. Pinkbike review said the cockpit felt cramped too. Not sure how much different the geometry is between the LE and the 1.0 besides the headtube angle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, definitely helpful because it gives some reference. I think the LE has a different headtube angle than the regular Force (i've been looking at the 1.0). I'm not sure how that would make a difference (if at all) with size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Oops, looks like my edit got timed at the same time as your reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For anyone curious, I went with the large. The toptube is also by my crotch, but even with a medium, I'd only have an extra 1/2 inch of space. Top tube length seems right for me though. I'm going for a ride this weekend and will let everyone know my thoughts once I get some dirt under it.

mtbr member
    i find standing up and riding is any easy way to find out if the size is right. im 5'11" and demoed a medium sized Santa Cruz Heckler. i smacked my knee on the crown of the fork = too small

good luck

ps, nice bike
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert