mtbr member
    Jul 2009

GT Force 3.0 or Mongoose Teocali Comp?

Looking to buy my first $$ bike in the $1000 range. Ive seen these two and the price difference is about $350 to the GT Force.
    Is the GT Force that much of a better bike or is the Mongoose just as good. Im a light rider (newbie) and would be used for All Mountain/Trail rides.
    Please help me decide or is there another bike I just be looking at..... The GT Marathon 3.0? much closer to the TeoCali price.

Shred all that can be
    GT!!!! DO IT NOW, DO IT NOW!! Got a Sanction (same thing +or- a few small things) and I lerrrrrrrve it.
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So 1 vote for the GT...
    how about the GT marathon 3.0 any good since its about $900 versus $1200 for the Force 3.0.

I'm with stupid
    make that 2 votes for GT. the idrive does great!! the marathon 3.0 is a nice bike but the front fork that they put on it my buddy has blown just riding no to rough trails. go ride them both and see what you like better. If you like bombing dow get a canction :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a GT force 3 and it rocks!!

mtbr member
    Though the rear suspension linkages and stuff look quite different on the Force and Teocali, I understand they ride similarly while pedalling. Mongoose claims the rear brake is mounted in a way to avoid brake jack, but I have not seen or read anything about how GT deals with brake jack. I am not saying GTs do have severe brake jack - I am saying no one has told me otherwise. And I don't know if Mongoose's claim is true.

I wish I could demo both bikes. I can ride them in a parking lot and that's all.

The Force definitely LOOKS cooler. And Mongoose has cheapened its name - but that does not mean their more premium line can't be good.

mtbr member
    Also, I believe the Teocali would require more maintenance on the rear linkages. But it would not be $350 more in maintenance costs. In my opinion, Mongoose bikes are underappreciated.

mtbr member
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Pretty in Pink
    My husband has a Teocali elite loves it, He has had some slight issues with the stock linkage, but I believe it was only 40-50 worth of "upgrade" Mongoose was aware of the issue from what I understand.
    Pacific is working hard to get the mongoose name back the way it used to be, (I think they need to just drop dept. stores personally) but they are lowering prices on their higher end stuff and including a stronger component mix than a lot of manufacturers are in the same price ranges. I am a fan of the teocali series. But it comes down to fit I think.

I demoed a few iDrive GT's when looking for a bike for myself, not such a big fan of the way GT fits me so I cannot speak much as to how the bike is overall.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    No no no. The Sette Ace is nothing like these bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ive ridden the teocali 07, and i own a gt 07 i-drive 5. (or 08 from performance)

the teocali seems twitchy and unbalanced, seems like the front is underweighed. brakes good, but just seems "nervous" on steep downhills.

the gt is more balanced, maybe feels a little heavier, but it really isnt, its just better balanced front/back. brakes, and decends REALLY well. goes over everything you throw at it. my only (small) complaint is that on very steep uphill climbs, it will "wheelie" a little earlier than the teocali... cant figure out why, maybe the way the rear linkage is set up, maybe the front shocks. but it really isnt an issue, when ive tried same super steep short climbs with both bikes, the teo will go about 10-20 feet more before i wheelie it...

my 2 cents, im a newbie and begginer rider, so thats what happens. dont flame.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Even though it's a suntour, the fork on the GT is much more tunable IMO. The travel adjust on the teocali is nice in theory, but the only tora that really works right is the 318. The 302 and 289 are pretty cruddy. The suntour is just a standard air fork with rebound adjust, lockout, etc and feels reasonably smooth.

Singletrack Slayer
    Look at a Diamondback Mission 1. Fox Van front and Rp2 rear shock w/ hayes stroker and x7 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    the force isn't a bad deal for around a grand. I had one for 6 weeks and sold it. It put me in a position where the way i was riding the pivots needed weekly servicing to stop them from creaking.

My vote would be the pitch comp.

mtbr member
    09 Mongoose Teocali Super is updated from 08, also the Diamondback Mission 2 is a good bike with good specs.