Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I like all members! LOL

GT Force 1.0 or is there better for the money?

I'm consider an AM bike that is slightly XC biased. Is the GT Force 1.0 the way to go or there there betterout there for the money?

mtbr member
    I say this in a lot of threads like this, but I gotta say it again: Giant Trance/Trance X or a Reign. The Trance is nice and light, pedals incredibly well, 5in travel, and around what you'd pay for a Force ( depending on the component build of course). I'd say it's superior in almost every way to the GT, but that's my opinion.

The Reign is a bit less XC biased but I can keep up with my friends on their Blur XCs and 29ers on the way up, then I tear them apart coming back down. My favorite all-around bike ever.

I like all members! LOL
    Well I do agree and I ride with a guy whom has a Trance X3 but I have found the force 1.0 online for the same price as he pain for his Trance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have ridden a Trance X3 and I was way more impressed with it thatn I thought I would be. It climbed like a goat and didn't feel wrong in anyway. I am a GT fan and I love the idrive, but I do have to give props to Giant. I have never ridden a Force, but I hear good things. This sounds like a hard choice to me. Go test ride both of them and see what feels better for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

usually cranky
    mongoose and jamis give you the most for your money imo. giant is pretty close to them. if your gonna put down around 2.5 you have a few good options.

I like all members! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    mongoose and jamis give you the most for your money imo. giant is pretty close to them. if your gonna put down around 2.5 you have a few good options.

b-kul, are you talking about the Dakar XCR line from Jamis? I ran across a good deal on a XCR Pro and on a Rocky mountain element 50. This would be for my fiance and he's about 195lbs. Would these two stand up to some abuse at that body weight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Freda
    ...This would be for my fiance...
    I don't think my girlfriend would ever buy me a bike, even if we were engaged. Sounds like someone is a lucky guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Freda
    b-kul, are you talking about the Dakar XCR line from Jamis? I ran across a good deal on a XCR Pro and on a Rocky mountain element 50. This would be for my fiance and he's about 195lbs. Would these two stand up to some abuse at that body weight?
    the xcr pro is a very nice xc race bike. you wouldnt want to abuse it on the trails. i dont know much about the rm element but id wouldnt use the xcr as anything but a buff single track/ double track bike with no jumps or drops. look at the xct line for a more agressive ride from jamis.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the XCR, but I'd personally stay away from the Rocky Mountain, as it's much more XC than the XC biased AM bike you're looking for. My friend has it's rough equivalent in a first-generation Santa Cruz Blur (not the LT). It's still a truly wonderful bike in its sphere, but gets into issues when the trail gets rough or fast. The geometry is just too upright to handle that kind of AM stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am looking into getting a used GT Force 1.0 frame. Is there anything that I should watch out for in that used frame so that I do not get stuck with a lemon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What year? I had an 09 expert. It was great when the pivots would stay tight. But mine would loosen up almost every ride. If the upper pivot is loose the rear wheel will have side to side play. If the lower pivot is loose the crank will have play in it. Also check for play in the dog bone that connects the bb to the frame.

After 09 I think they added pinch bolts on the pivots so, maybe this doesn't happen as easy. I should also state that I am 210lbs and ride hard.

mtbr member
    Personally, I don't like the giant maestro suspension design. Everyone raves about how well they climb which is pretty valid. However, I think they descend poorly. My Reign always felt like it was wandering through rocky lines and the rear end was extremely disconnected and uncommunicative. A good full suspension bike will iron out the bumps and also tell you what's going on at the same time. The maestro just ironed them out.

I never rode a force, but I had a sensor 29er and it did the same thing, ironed out the bumps but had no communication.GT Bikes for the most part are single pivot.

My favorite suspension designs are the VPP and the horst link(specialized). I personally ride an enduro which isn't as climb friendly as the force or trance, but it blows them out of the water when things point down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyT77 View Post
    What year? I had an 09 expert. It was great when the pivots would stay tight. But mine would loosen up almost every ride. If the upper pivot is loose the rear wheel will have side to side play. If the lower pivot is loose the crank will have play in it. Also check for play in the dog bone that connects the bb to the frame.

After 09 I think they added pinch bolts on the pivots so, maybe this doesn't happen as easy. I should also state that I am 210lbs and ride hard.
    "Big Thanks" for the advice on checking the pivots. Doh, I just got out-bid again on Ebay! Now the price is out of reach for me on this particular one. I am looking at another one that is similar.

Is it just me, or is GT Force frame geometry on the big side? I'm 5'7" and the medium frame geometry numbers look like a large compared to many other brands. I might have to go for a small frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm 5'8" and rode a medium with a 70mm stem. It was good for me. The stock stem was too long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    GT Force 1.0 or is there better for the money?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358906785.245270.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    think so,it blows them out of the water when things point down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The geometry is just too upright to handle that kind of AM stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyT77 View Post
    I'm 5'8" and rode a medium with a 70mm stem. It was good for me. The stock stem was too long.
    What size was the stock stem length on your bike? 100mm?

GT bike frame geometries do run on the large side. If you compare the geometry of a large size frame of an Airborne bike, it is very comparable to a GT bike size medium frame.

This would explain your need for a shorter stem.
    Last edited by blundar; 01-24-2013 at 06:31 AM.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    I say this in a lot of threads like this, but I gotta say it again: Giant Trance/Trance X or a Reign. The Trance is nice and light, pedals incredibly well, 5in travel, and around what you'd pay for a Force ( depending on the component build of course). I'd say it's superior in almost every way to the GT, but that's my opinion.

The Reign is a bit less XC biased but I can keep up with my friends on their Blur XCs and 29ers on the way up, then I tear them apart coming back down. My favorite all-around bike ever.
    Spot on mate, the Trance and reign leave the GT for dead, imo you would me as mad as a cut snake to choose the GT over any of these two offerings.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Spot on mate, the Trance and reign leave the GT for dead, imo you would me as mad as a cut snake to choose the GT over any of these two offerings.

You are probably right, GT bikes are no good...

Dan Atherton rides the GT Sanction - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Yeah my 2011 GT Force sucked too....not. It pedals incredibly well and has been a great bike for the money. And thats why I am keeping it, even though I am getting a 2012 Scapegoat for my burlier rides (most of the time) and I will rebuild the Force as a lightweight trail bike (some of the time).

And its not a bad looker either....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Force 1.0 or is there better for the money?-force_of_nature_2012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarshack View Post
    You are probably right, GT bikes are no good...

Dan Atherton rides the GT Sanction - Pinkbike
    You just stole my words.

rebmem rbtm
    Its true that the Reign does have a better DH geo than the Force (not the Force LE which is the same as the previous Sanction, which is Dan Atherton{s bike)
    However Im buying a Force frame now... and im also buying this:

Offset Shock Bushings Mounting Hardware Mount Kit All Frames Proshox | eBay

That should leave the force with a 72.5SA and a 67-67.5HA... Which is just perfect.

rebmem rbtm

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So what exactly does this offset bushing do? I'm guessing that it somehow shortens the shock eye to eye on the rear suspension?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast