Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

gt bikes any good ????

ok a good friend of mine the other day said that all GT bikes all of them every single one ar sh"t which i asked why he said everybody knows this ??? so here i am puting it out there whats your experiences and views any profesionals who race them etc use them whats your thought s is this a right thing to say about them and why thanks guys and girls
    Last edited by savie62; 12-12-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: mistake

RideDirt
    You guys like 10 years old ? Who cares if a bike is crappy or not .. Ride what you can afford and what makes you happy.. By the way, ill let you in on a secret , more then 90% of the time its about the rider and skill set and not the bike.

So there is really no answer to your question and it was a waste of a thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savie62 View Post
    ok a good friend of mine the other day said that all GT bikes all of them every single one ar sh"t which i asked why he said everybody knows this ???:
    That's an easy one. A GT ridden by Dan Atherton finished third in the Megavalanche this year.
    Another GT ridden by Rachel Atherton won the downhill world cup overall, with a round to spare.

I think your friend may be misinformed...

I'm with stupid
    They are not Sh#t, GT has been on its way back up for the last 4 years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The bike only matters if the rider is really...really decent. Example: I suck at riding and purchased a $6k Yeti SB95 (27 lbs). All my buddies who have cheaper, heavier bikes leave me behind/make technical sections look easy. I make everything look like its frick'n insane hard. I love my bike, enjoy biking and learning, but I agree with the other posters.

The Original Suspect
    Find a bike you like and ride the sh!t out of it. For the most part most mtn bikes are made out of one of several types of materials in one of a couple factories in Taiwan and outfitted with Fox, Shimano and Sram (Rockshox, Avid) parts. Find one in the price range that fits your budget and go from there. Yes, some bikes are better than others but I'd bet about 80% fit into what I described above.

mtbr member
    GT is severely underrated! A few friends have the AM Force and they ride sweet and hold up well...

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    That's an easy one. A GT ridden by Dan Atherton finished third in the Megavalanche this year.
    Another GT ridden by Rachel Atherton won the downhill world cup overall, with a round to spare.

I think your friend may be misinformed...
    This. Plus Gee was on the podium four times. Marc Beaumont was doing pretty well, too.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    GT bikes are just fine, for the most part. I think GT has created some of this confusion by making some sporting-goods store bikes in the past, and some people think if it isn't sold in a bike shop, it probably isn't a good bike. But their top level stuff is as good as anyone. And my wife's Avalanche has been just fine for the last 10 years or so. Bought from a sporting goods store ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I dont see nothing wrong with GT bikes i have had a few.. GT Agressor/GT Chucker and non of them give me any troubles i did single track and dirt jumping. They are not the lightest of bikes but its what you are used to.

Robtre
    I want the GT Xixiang frame so friggin' badddd
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a GT Peace and love it.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Tell your friend only lesser riders make such broad generalizations.

What would make "every single one" a sh1tty bike? Can he name any specific example?

Are their head tubes all 75 degrees? No.
    Do they have inferior components compared to the same priced competitor? No.
    Are their frames 2lbs heavier compared to the same price competitor for same intended use (XC/Trail/AM)? No.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is dating myself, but I use to have a GT Zaskar LE...wish I still had it.

usually cranky
    i would say gt is as good as any other big brand (giant, trek, spec). look at their team: the athertons, buemont, mccaul, straight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekhed View Post
    When I was little, I used to go and watch pros racing LTSes against hardtails (and destroying them).

mtbr member
    any bike is better then no bike.

true story.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a GT hardtail and the wife has
    a FS. Nothing wrong with either bike.

mtbr member
    I've always loved GT bikes. While my friends were bmxing with Haros, Mongooses, Redlines or Hutches I was riding a GT Pro Performer. My first mountain bike was a 92 Zaskar LE. These days, the majority of bike manufacturers are able to produce some pretty good frames. Gene Atherton is probably one of the best DH riders I've seen and he rides a GT.

If your friend thinks this GT Force 1.0 is sh*t, then he doesn't know much about bikes cuz this ride is a bad muthaf er

usually cranky
    is gene gees other brother?

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekhed View Post
    I too had a Zaskar! It was a custom one-off full XTR ano purple! I loved that bike! 5 min in the back of my Jeep and someone rode away with her!

mtbr member

2011 GT Force...yeah it rocks.

Here is my 2011 GT Force frame. Its been a great bike to get to learn. I hadn't had a GT since my 2001 iDrive 1.0 that I had until 2009 when it cracked, had a Kona Dawg Supreme, Evil Sovereign and Diamondback Mission between then and now. All were solid rides, this one is no different.

GT Builds good stuff and no one can convince me otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gt bikes any good ????-force_of_nature_2012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My first real mountain bike was a GT Tequesta that I bought new in 1992. I just sold it a few months ago to a guy who put a rack on the back and uses it as a grocery getter. I still have a 1996 GT Ricochet. I'm seriously thinking of picking up my daughter an Aggressor 3.0 when the 2012 models go on clearance. I don't see anything wrong with GT bikes.

Andy B.
    Main Ride: '03 Cannondale Jekyll 600
    Other bikes in the stable: '11 Pugsley, '97 C'dale F700, '97 Uber V conversion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Ride what you can afford and what makes you happy.. By the way, ill let you in on a secret , more then 90% of the time its about the rider and skill set and not the bike.
    True that brother..
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by savie62 View Post
    ok a good friend of mine the other day said that all GT bikes all of them every single one ar sh"t which i asked why he said everybody knows this ??? so here i am puting it out there whats your experiences and views any profesionals who race them etc use them whats your thought s is this a right thing to say about them and why thanks guys and girls
    Is somebody really asking this question?

Do you and your buddy also argue about who's daddy can kick the other daddy's ass?

I don't think GT makes any crappy bikes but they do make some entry level bikes all the way up to high end bikes. However, I would trust any of them on any trail just as much as I would trust what you buddy supposedly rides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast