mtbr member
    Mar 2007

GT Avalanche Rear Derailleur Hanger- 20$, Really?

So, the rear derailleur hanger just randomly busted on me the other day while riding around the city. I figured no big deal, they should be cheap.

I get home to search for google and find that they are anywhere between 20 - 30$ + SH. Is that how much they typically go for???

mtbr member
    I think that is cheap for most of us, as far as mountain bike parts go. $20 is about right. Some brands sell them in $13-$20 range. I was lucky to only pay $18 for a new one in Moab the last time I went. I busted it taking one of the drops on Amassa Back. Needles to say, derailleur hangers are now one part that I always carry in my camelbak.

mtbr member
    yup 20$ is right on the dot for new derail. hanger...i just had to buy 2 this month alone..check pricepoint next time.. they have good prices on stuff like that...
    i love the smell of tri-flow in the morning......

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, I must say I'm a little surprised. Thats pretty expensive for such a small little piece of aluminum.

I searched around pricepoint.com and JensonUSA.com, as well as a few others. PP only carried Sette stuff. I couldn't find anything specific for my bike at the rest of them.

I did find a hanger on Ebay. Machined out aluminum. Still 25$ though.

Oh well, I suppose. On another note, do brand new derailleurs come with a new hanger??? I've been considering picking up a new one at the same time.

mtbr member

Let me justify it for you.....

How much do you think one of those CNC machines cost?? Do you know how many programs have to be written for each hanger, and finally when that is all said and done, how many hangers are they selling every year AND make a profit. If you have an older bike, you better pick up 2 or 3 cause it could render a perfectly good frame useless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Lol, I am not as naive as you may think. CNC machines cost a **** ton, but do those machines only make derailleur hangers now?

Usually only one draft has to be designed. A program such as Solidworks will allow you to design it, and then also output to the CNC machine.

It's not a big deal. Just wanted to double check before I ordered. A lot of times forums have parts connections, so I figured I'd ask.

mtbr member
    Holy mother, Only time I busted a derailleur hanger it cost me around 7 bucks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    See, thats more along the lines of what I was expecting.

Rudy Project Eyewear
    Same here for my Zaskar, 25 bucks......

Try derailleurhanger.com

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    wish they where more standardized...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Spent about $20 for my Cannondale one too. I have found a huge difference in some brands der hangers over others. The one's for Diamondback for example, are really cheap feeling, and thin, but the one for my Cdale was a nice CNC'd chunk of aluminum that fit in a very nice tight way.

The DB's hangers used to go for $10 (haven't needed to replace one for a customer in a while).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    wish they where more standardized...
    You and I both. It seems like prices, quality, and descriptions are all over the board. Having a standardized hanger would probably increase the quality, and significantly lower the prices.

However, that would make it a little difficult (read: Expensive) for frames like the SC Bullit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsurf75
    Well, I must say I'm a little surprised. Thats pretty expensive for such a small little piece of aluminum.

I searched around pricepoint.com and JensonUSA.com, as well as a few others. PP only carried Sette stuff. I couldn't find anything specific for my bike at the rest of them.

Oh well, I suppose. On another note, do brand new derailleurs come with a new hanger??? I've been considering picking up a new one at the same time.
    Now how expensive would derailleurs have to be if they had to distribute them along with a hanger for a specific bike? I'll take the prices on hangers as they are any day. If you like your frame get 'em while they're available. You could start to produce and distribute your own line of hangers if you think this is a business opportunity...good luck with that.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Elitest thrill junkie
    Don't buy it!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    http://stores.ebay.com/CNC-Machined-Bicycle-Parts

Spend a few extra bucks on a quality CNCed one. My bike shifts better, and I doubt I will ever need another one...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Supple1
    http://stores.ebay.com/CNC-Machined-Bicycle-Parts

Spend a few extra bucks on a quality CNCed one. My bike shifts better, and I doubt I will ever need another one...

Yup, thats what I've been talking about, and what I'll be getting.

mtbr member
    I was surprised at the cost myself, I looked at the CNC colored options on Ebay but worried they would be stiffer meaning more bent rear D's vs. $20 hangers... (I dont know, just a thought)

At least you are not buying CNC crap for cameras, this 4 inch plate set me back over $80!!!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by bigsurf75

Seeeriously easy Livin

I worked at a cnc shop that made those camera mounting plates, they were not easy to make, we wern't cranking them out at a very high rate, especially the bigger L shaped brackets that started as 5lb blocks to get a 2 6 ounce parts.

Unfortunatly for us mountain bikers, pretty much every frame ever designed has a different deraileur hanger, so unless you want to machine your own, or scrap your entire frame, we just have to accept the cost of custom machined parts, mabe one day frame manufactuerers will colaberate and come out with a few standard deraileur hangers, but I don't think it will ever happen. If you need a hard to find hanger on short notice, be preapared to pay up, but if you can stock up before hand you may be able to find a deal. I bought a new cncd hanger for my sinister for 10 bucks on ebay, they are 25 at least from the manufacterer.

mtbr member
    If i can talk my dad into it im going to have him make me a hole crap load of hangers in his garage.... he has his own personal cnc machine and all the other fun manufacturing tools to do it with. ill have to talk to him about it. But i agree....if you have an older bike then you definitely may want to stock up on a couple hangers.
    i love the smell of tri-flow in the morning......

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Christ you Americans are tight! Something like that over here in the UK would be like 30 alone!