mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Grips--almost as comfortable as ESI but more durable?

I love fat, squishy ESI grips but I crash too much for them to last. Is there a similar option that's a little tougher?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been using Shimano PRO grips. Maybe not quite as squishy, but they're good.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Another option is to just buy a bunch of these... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pair-Bike-...hSyxB6tmMlFrVQ

They are just as good as ESI Grips. I've had a few pair. When one set starts to get busted up, I just throw on a new set. The prices on those ESIs are absolutely insane.

My new favorite grip is the Diety Knuckleduster. So freakin comfortable, and a great price. https://www.deitycomponents.com/knuc...ter-grips.html

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Ditto the Knuckleduster! I like to do my initial climbing gloveless to keep my gloves dry and stave off "Mickey Mouse hands" and these are great even then. Bigger and with just enough squish for me.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Short-Change-Hero
    Just recently moved from the Ergon GE1 to the GA2 Fat and really like them. Single side lock like the Knuckleduster, open end cap if you happen to run plug kit in the bar ends and so far they have been super comfortable. Not nearly as squishy as something like your ESI but still have a nice give to them.

Ride On

Grips--almost as comfortable as ESI but more durable?

Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Another option is to just buy a bunch of these... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pair-Bike-...hSyxB6tmMlFrVQ

They are just as good as ESI Grips. I've had a few pair. When one set starts to get busted up, I just throw on a new set. The prices on those ESIs are absolutely insane.

My new favorite grip is the Diety Knuckleduster. So freakin comfortable, and a great price. https://www.deitycomponents.com/knuc...ter-grips.html
    Thanks for pointing these out, are they really as good as ESIís?

Iíve tried lots of other grips previously and nothing has ever been as comfy as the ESIís. I still occasionally try another type and brand (itís a sickness) only to be reminded that everything else feels like riding bricks.

The other great thing about ESIís is they are available in longer lengths which allows me to customize the size of the grip.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I like them just as well! The diameter of the grips are very similar. The foam density is very similar. The coating of the grip is slightly different, but I honestly don't know which one I prefer. I think it's worth a try at a dollar! I just personally won't buy ESIs again. I just don't see any added value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I chew up ESI grips too. The ESI FIT XC line is as comfortable but lasts. Still need extra caps.
    ESI FIT XC Grips in Tree Fort Bikes Grips

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Another vote for the knocklebusters. I feel less vibration than with ESI.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Awesome--thanks, all, for the great suggestions!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Thanks for pointing these out, are they really as good as ESIís?

Iíve tried lots of other grips previously and nothing has ever been as comfy as the ESIís. I still occasionally try another type and brand (itís a sickness) only to be reminded that everything else feels like riding bricks.

The other great thing about ESIís is they are available in longer lengths which allows me to customize the size of the grip.
    No they are not the same at all really.

The surface is kind of glossy the foam is not nearly as dense and they don't fit nearly as tight.
    I saw them bought some hoping I was getting a cheap esi option.

But don't take my word for it they are super cheap and hey you might like them more then me.

mtbr member
    I've had esi and similar, and I have flirted with 3/4 flange grips like the odi xtreme which help me quickly locate the correct hand position if you take a hand off to drink or whatever on the move.

I'm now using these: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ne...=219605-134267

After a brief adjustment period, the slight bulge in the center actually does feel ergonomic. I like them. I wear xl or xxl gloves and the l/xl grip is good. If you wear smaller gloves, get the s/m grip because the bulge is smaller for a smaller hand.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Knuckledusters are ordered & on the way. If I don't fall in love with 'em, those Specialized ones sound intriguing.

Interplanetary Poultry
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Oury grips. Oury Grips USA - racing grips for Atv, BMX, MX, Mountain Bikes.
    Controls by tltichy, on Flickr
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Switching from ESI chunky to Ergon GA2 fat solved all my issues. Way more durable and still comfortable enough.

On the plus side, I can use them gloveless while heading to the trail or climbing! I had serious issues with ESI, as using them gloveless would make my hands slip a ton because of sweat...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    No they are not the same at all really.

The surface is kind of glossy the foam is not nearly as dense and they don't fit nearly as tight.
    I saw them bought some hoping I was getting a cheap esi option.

But don't take my word for it they are super cheap and hey you might like them more then me.
    I have two pair, and agree 200%. Weigh about 22 grams each.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Oury grips. Oury Grips USA - racing grips for Atv, BMX, MX, Mountain Bikes.
    I wish they made a single clamp version. I ride with my pinkie at the edge and the end cap starts to hurt. But one of the best grips of they work for you.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have used lock on Oury's and the Diety Knuckleduster is far more comfy IME.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I have used lock on Oury's and the Diety Knuckleduster is far more comfy IME.
    It's been a long time but I remember liking the Ourys but that my pinkies hurt a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    ESI chunky alternative?

What you are looking for are Shorex 34mm silicon slip on grips.

They are 10 times more reliable. My ESIs all split at the end of the bars if I look at them funny. We just have too many tight tree gates here.

The shorex take big massive crashes and rarely split. They also stay cleaner and grip better when wet. They are easy to wash if you go with a color as well ESI color grips hold dirt and stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nice I'll have to check these out.

mtbr member
    Hope Grip Doctors make my ESI grips last a lot longer.

mtbr member
    I feel like I've tried a ton of grips. They're all either ok, or kinda bad. Except ESI. They're incredible. It's worth the 17 bucks a season to replace them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I feel like I've tried a ton of grips. They're all either ok, or kinda bad. Except ESI. They're incredible. It's worth the 17 bucks a season to replace them.
    x2^

All grips start to get a little skanky after a year whether they're worn out or not, a new pair is a cheap way to freshen up the bike each season. ESI's last a year for me no problem but I'm not busting through tree gaps narrower than my bars.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I will get flamed for this, but my favorite are the Revolution grips.
    One of the most expensive on the market, but definetly the most comfortable.
    I used to use esi.
    Thinking about it, my suggestion doesn't belong to this thread.
    Anyway, anyone with some seriously hurting hands should consider them.
    They have helped me a ton.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I use the Oury slip-ons on all my bikes. Super squishy and comfortable without the lockon core...
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    I couldn't get oury slip-ons to stay on my bars. Hairspray worked ok to keep them on. Maybe my set was oversized, or my bars a little undersized, but they didnt instill confidence slipping around like that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I will get flamed for this, but my favorite are the Revolution grips.
    One of the most expensive on the market, but definetly the most comfortable.
    I used to use esi.
    Thinking about it, my suggestion doesn't belong to this thread.
    Anyway, anyone with some seriously hurting hands should consider them.
    They have helped me a ton.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    I've got nerve damage in my hands, they go numb pretty easily. I tried these and they do work. I count get used to them moving though. But I can see how they would work.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Oury grips are my favorites. Like others have mentioned though I wish they did not have the outer lock ring.

Interestingly, the red Oury grips definitely seem to have a stiffer rubber compound compared to the black.

Those Knucklebusters do look tempting, but I've been using Ourys for over a decade and every time I've tried a different grip its never measured up - not even close.

mtbr member
    I'm going with Oury too. They have made that style grip on MX bikes since at least the early '80's and it's always been popular. I've tried the ESi and love them, just not the longevity. Like others pointed out, about a season on most grips is what to expect, they all get chewed up and gummy feeling. Oury makes more of a waffle one like the bottom part of the Knuckleduster, I do like those as well, especially in the wet, but they aren't as comfy. Might give the Knuckleduster a try, but usually not a fan of grips with that sliced rubber texture they have on top.

mtbr member
    Have a look at these. Silicone Mountain Bike Grips and Accessories I have them on all three of my bikes. I use the Klampz model.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2018 NukeProof Scout

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DimitrisCSD View Post
    Switching from ESI chunky to Ergon GA2 fat solved all my issues. Way more durable and still comfortable enough.

On the plus side, I can use them gloveless while heading to the trail or climbing! I had serious issues with ESI, as using them gloveless would make my hands slip a ton because of sweat...
    I tried the GA2s and they were incredibly firm compared to my ODI Rogues.