Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Zombie Uprising

Grippiest combination of flat pedals/shoes for AM riding.

Maybe this has been discussed before but,
    what is the grippiest combination of flat pedals/shoes for AM riding?
    I have just recently injured my ACL and PCL most probably by not unclipping, in time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There have been alot of post about this but I have 2 bikes with flats on them, One is with the Kona Wah Wah's and the other is a Forte. Both have pins on them but most importantly are the shoes and nothing beats the 5-10's for being sticky with a stiff sole. I got mine from Zappo's, they offer free shipping and free return if they don't fit. For me the 5-10's were true to size, a little wide but when you are riding on a hot day it is good to have room for sweaty feet.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

Zombie Uprising
    Actually I am thinking of this combo:
    Tioga Surefoot MX Pro + Five Ten Karver Freeride

TIOGA USA
    Five Ten | Karver - Smokey Blue

Has anyone had any recent experience with either of those?
    Any advice for a newbie attempting to go to flats for MTB after 6 years on SPDs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you want the best flat pedals get the point one racing podium pedals. Look em up. Or a nice set of DMR's and definetly go 5-10 on the shoes. Unless the pros are sponsored by another company all of them will wear 5-10's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i have DMR Vaults and 510s........amazing. large and grippy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Really if you are wearing a pair of 5.10's you can use any descent pedals. Just make sure you get a pair of flats with replaceable pins and sealed barings. Honestly I've used about every type of flat sole shoe and tons of different flats with different pin length combos but no shoe comes close to 5.10 for grip. I currently have freeriders and the impacts. The impacts are a bit bulkier but are a bit stiffer so coming straight from clips you might like that about them as the freerider is more like a skate shoe and you can feel your foot rap around the peddals a bit more, I also kind of like that for some types of riding. If you have a good shop around there you can go try some on or if not and you're like me go to a good out door store try on the 5.10 approach/hiking shoe. The sizes are the same and then order a pair or two from zappos.com, they have a great return policy. The pedals really depend on how much you worry about weight and how much money you have to spend. You want to make sure the pedal is concave a bit and the thinner the better as it will reduce rock stricks. good luck, welcome to the flats nation! you'll never want to go back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The 5 10 impact is the grip king, but it is heavy and clunky. I really like the Teva link shoe, the sole is awesome and the shoe is really well built and designed.
    For Pedals, I would avoid the Point One Podiums for AM stuff with lots of pedaling. They are a fantastic pedal in terms of grip and feel, but they are slow like molasses. I am not sure if its the bearings, or the fact that the sole of your shoe brushes against the pedal spindle, but in climbing and pedaling situations they put up a lot of resistance. I consider them downhill only, which is what they were designed for.

Zombie Uprising
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming.
    I will definitely have a look on the 5.10 impacts.
    My old 6 y.o., rock climbing shoes are 5.10s and they still grip as hell on limestone!

mtbr member
    5-10 Impacts and Kona Wah Wahs.

I'm using Spank Spike's now with 5-10 impacts they are good too.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    I'm getting great grip and feel from my Wellgo MG1s with 8mm pins and 5 10 freeriders. On a side note the MG1s have a slightly smaller platform but they work great for me as i have smaller feet! would not recomend for people with larger feet. but like everyone else 5 10s are the way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you really want grip, don't use more than 4 or 5 pins. Long pins, at the furthest points away from each other on the pedal. Then it won't really matter what shoe you're using.

I noticed this when going from my MG1s to my Deity Compound pedals. Since then, I have removed the 3 center pins from the MG1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Straitline pedals. They have a ridiculous amount of grip with pins so sharp a mere brush of your leg and you're bleeding.To me it feels like I could learn how to spin with these pedals and I am horrible at it. They hold on to my Shimano MP66 shoes which are a rigid sole spd shoe. I'll probably move on to some regular skate shoes to try out a soft soled shoe before I spend $100+ on 5.10s and the like.

I also have a persistent knee injury with similar damage and the grip on the pedals doesn't agitate it. The size of the pedal also helps with that too, I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grippiest combination of flat pedals/shoes for AM riding.-pedal-close-up.jpg  

Grippiest combination of flat pedals/shoes for AM riding.-mp66-sole.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834 View Post
    If you really want grip, don't use more than 4 or 5 pins. Long pins, at the furthest points away from each other on the pedal. Then it won't really matter what shoe you're using.

I noticed this when going from my MG1s to my Deity Compound pedals. Since then, I have removed the 3 center pins from the MG1.
    I agree with this, fewer longer pins make a big difference. That being said, apparently pin shape can also make a big difference too. Specialized has been experimenting with pins with edges that apparently don't need to be long to have tons of grip. I think thats why the straitlines are so good, they have edgy pins.

see me rollin, they hatin
    I use 5-10s and lo pro mag pedals by specialized. never was a clipless fan, and the pair of SPDs i have on my road bike irritates my knee issue more than flats.

i like the lo pro mags, though i wish the pins were a tad longer. but i think they are the type you can get in a hardware store.

also woudl like to add, if you are choosing between spending more money on pedals or shoes, i'd say 5'10s work even with crappier pedals. i would spend more on the shoes, but thats my opinion!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipster94 View Post
    If you want the best flat pedals get the point one racing podium pedals. Look em up. Or a nice set of DMR's and definetly go 5-10 on the shoes. Unless the pros are sponsored by another company all of them will wear 5-10's.
    This. The Point Ones are a large platform tho and grip my 5.10's a lil' TOO good for my narrow feet. Diety Decoy's are still my faves tho since I can reposition my feet easier on their smaller platforms (sometimes you actually can have too much grip!).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It's been said before but like others I think 5-10 shoes with any reputable flat pedal will serve you well. I have used less expensive Wellgo pedals and higher priced Crank Bros and they both worked well with the shoes. I was a long time clipless rider and went with the flats for days that I went to the bike park. That was two seasons ago and I actually haven't switched back since.

mtbr member
    I just got some Premium Slim Pedals from Dans Comp (BMX site), they are fantastic with my 5 10 Impact 2's. Highly recommend!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    "welcome to the flats nation! you'll never want to go back! "

^ I love it, people give me crap all the time about when I am going to upgrade and go clipless, there is a movement going on with flats. I also agree with alot of what has been said here, you can't go wrong with just about any pedal but go for the 5-10's, I have the Sam Hills and they are a bit heavy but really good when you do have to hike a bike.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    I wear 5.10's on Dark Cycles Arachnid pedals. Most wicked pedal out there....
    "Some Dudes are built for comfort, others for speed"
    Niner Jet9 RDO Carbon
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Spesh Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can anyone here compare 5.10 performance with a shoe like the FOX default that pops up on chainlove often (or any other cheaper shoe for that matter). I only ask be cause i do a more tame amount of riding, xc mostly and pushing my limits with the rest at the local ski hill each time i go, but i cant justify the cost of 5.10's, yet my beat up nike sb's are starting to slip more and more...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Five Ten perfected sticky rubber a long time ago. As we say in climbing: (Spread your legs and) trust the rubber. You know this.

Point One Podium and Canfield Crampon are my go-to pedals. Thin flats have epic stability. Agree with morandi on the pedal-ability (of both my faves). Both a bit wide for tight rock gardens/obstructions, but way less likely to roll on tech uphills. DMR Mag V12 is a great pedal, but not too thin. Super all around performance and easily serviceable.

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I love my Five Tens with Shimano MX30 DX pedals. IMHO its the best combination out there. The shoes seem to fit perfect in the pedals. I have tried lots of other pedals, but keep going back to the Shimano's.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    Actually I am thinking of this combo:
    Tioga Surefoot MX Pro + Five Ten Karver Freeride

TIOGA USA
    Five Ten | Karver - Smokey Blue

Has anyone had any recent experience with either of those?
    Any advice for a newbie attempting to go to flats for MTB after 6 years on SPDs?
    I have been using that shoe off and on for 5+ months and it's great for protection, super sticky on multiple flats, but SO F'n HOT! Granted I ride in hot weather here in AZ, but my feet feel like they are on fire in these shoes, especially when climbing a lot.

I will be keeping them though, and using them for DH and cold weather riding.

Keep your heels pointed down when your not pedaling; That's was the biggest thing that helped me in the transition.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    Can anyone here compare 5.10 performance with a shoe like the FOX default that pops up on chainlove often (or any other cheaper shoe for that matter). I only ask be cause i do a more tame amount of riding, xc mostly and pushing my limits with the rest at the local ski hill each time i go, but i cant justify the cost of 5.10's, yet my beat up nike sb's are starting to slip more and more...
    I've never rode with FOX but I have rode with just about every other skate shoe company out there and they are all good to begin with but after a month or so you need to get a new pair. You can make them last by only wearing them to ride but in the long run you will spend the same money just not all at once. 5.10's performance is worth the money. You can wear them around town and then hike a bike and still sticks like glue. The new teva's are good too, but I'm not sure on the durability yet as I haven't used them a whole season but they aren't as stiff. they are more similar to the Freerider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use es' skate shoes with a grid pattern on the bottom, their pretty much fine for messing around plus they aren't that hot, skeptical about how they'd do off-road though.... xD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast